Bryzgalov's play

Guest flyers

I know all of us are a little frustrated about Bryzgalovs play this season. For first, I don't doubt Bryzgalovs abilty to stop the puck, I know that when he is in he is usually good. Or at least that's what you extect from your 51 million goaltender. I am just frustrated that he is so damn inconsistent, through five games, he loooks like a "savior", the next five, not so much. So, I ask you why? Why doesn't he play good? I have one theory that because of the huge contract, he is having a typical firstyear that ain't so good much like Danny Briere had when he first came in. But what's your theory?

Briere was a little better than mediocre during the regular season, but turned into a mini-beast during the playoffs. If Bryzgalov does the same, I'll be so ecstatic I'll have to buy bigger pants just to contain my enthusiasm.

i thought he played exacty the way we want him to tonight, he battled down low, he was moving very well side to side, he was very good tonight , i hate the pens but they do bring a lot of pressure and shots, he held up his end tonight. if he's rounding into form, then good.

I just watched the Locker Room Access post-game interview with Bryz from tonight's game...

He cracks me up almost all the time, but the first few seconds of this one had me spit out my drink...

You kind of hear some guy ask a question along the lines of "What do you think?" to start the interview session.

Bryz takes a second and looks at him and then finally answers "I don't think... what do you wanna know?"

Later in the interview, Carchidi asks him about going down 3-0 last night and then having the 3-0 lead tonight and then asks "what do you chalk this win up to?" and Ilya is like "what?... what is chalk?."

And then he called out another guy for saying this was the first time he played back to back. It was funny.

He has started to force questions in a way that allow him to give the cliche answer.

It was perfect, and is a perfect example of how much Philadelphia has been a shock to his system when you compare it to his free-talking ways in Phoenix and Anaheim, both in and out of the net. Hopefully he's starting to adjust to it and I think it's starting to show slowly in his play. Once he can stop giving up 0-3 holes, we might have a decent goaltender.

Edited by s3x

4 wins in a row, hard to complain but his stats doesn't look good. I like how Lavy is playing him in back to back in the past week to get him rolling. We will need him to get hot from now to the All Star break. Hopefully he does and we can distance ourselves from the pack.

The 3rd period tonight was the best 20 minutes I've seen out of him this year; he looked like the goalie I hoped we'd be seeing all along.

The Flyers turn the puck over way too much and tonight was no exception. Fatigue can produce turnovers but we're coughing up the puck 10, 15 times a night. On this occasion Bryz bailed us out; the "big FA signing" finally paid off and he stole us a win. We had some chances to put it out of reach but we didn't; we had to have 20 minutes of shutdown goaltending and we got it, against a good team too.

If Bryz can come up big in important games like tonight, and do it consistently then maybe his cap hit will begin to look like it was worth it.

My theory on why he's sucked as often as he's been solid? Philly-shock. Coming from a backwater like Phoenix - as far as hockey is concerned I mean - to Philadelphia, to the Flyers, is bound to take some getting used to. Maybe he's beginning to settle in now but I wouldn't be surprised if he's inconsistent this whole season. I only hope when PO time rolls around he's found his game for good....because it's starting to look like the Flyers are for real.

Mezaros and Carle had a hell of a game. Bryzgalov played lights out. I understand that the team is gassed, but they were all too sloppy in the 3rd. They had the Pens on the ropes and then let off the gas.

Anyhow, to me this is what we are paying the man to do, win games and he has been doing just that.

I hope Saturday we see Bobrovsky though just to get a little break for Bryzgalov.

On this occasion Bryz bailed us out; the "big FA signing" finally paid off and he stole us a win.

Ok, but let's be honest for a sec. This is what he *is* supposed to do. This is what his peers do just about every other night..... the likes of Lundvist, Fleury, Rinne, and others. For Christ's sake, Mike Stinking Smith is winning the 'Yotes around 80% of the games so far.

I am not suggesting that the Flyers should completely put their faith in the hands of a goalie. But the reality is, he was signed exactly for what you mentioned he did last night: to "bail us out" and to "steal wins". He will be counted on doing that in the playoffs more often than not, because, frankly, this is just not a great Flyers team in front of him. Not terrible, not ugly, but not good enough to go all the way without their goalie being sensational and flawless.

So in a nutshell, Bryzgalov will have to be impeccable and great in the playoffs. If he is just OK and only makes saves he is expected to make but nothing above that, this acquisition should - and probably will - be looked at as a failure because we would have gotten the same results with Bob, except for much less money.

Edited by Mad Dog

Posted · Hidden by Mad Dog, December 9, 2011 - No reason given
Hidden by Mad Dog, December 9, 2011 - No reason given

Ok, but let's be honest for a sec. This is what he *is* supposed to do. This is what his peers do just about every other night..... the likes of Lundvist, Fleury, Rinne, and others. For Christ's sake, Mike Stinking Smith is winning the 'Yotes around 80% of the games so far.

I am not suggesting that the Flyers should completely put their faith in the hands of a goalie. But the reality is, he was signed exactly for what you mentioned he did last night: to "bail us out" and to "steal wins". He will be counted on doing that in the playoffs more often than not, because, frankly, this is just not a great Flyers team in front of him. Not terrible, not ugly, but not good enough to go all the way without their goalie being sensational and flawless.

So in a nutshell, Bryzgalov will have to be impeccable and great in the playoffs. If he is just OK and only makes saves he is expected to make but nothing above that, this acquisition should - and probably will - be looked at as a failure because we would have gotten the same results with Bob, except for much less money.

Briere was a little better than mediocre during the regular season, but turned into a mini-beast during the playoffs. If Bryzgalov does the same, I'll be so ecstatic I'll have to buy bigger pants just to contain my enthusiasm.

Just go with the Depends. A reliable brand and cheaper than a new pair of pants.

Going to pile on here. He looked really good late in that 3rd period last night for sure.

I think he'll be fine in the long run, and I'm hoping the transition is finally settling in.

Love those post-game interviews!!

You do realize that's 9 years right?

frankly, this is just not a great Flyers team in front of him. Not terrible, not ugly, but not good enough to go all the way without their goalie being sensational and flawless.

I'm not so sure. The longer we get into the season the better the Flyers look. It's true the competition is a little better this year within the division - the Rags especially - but the Flyers are sitting at the top of the East right now, and that's not a fluke. They've played more games without Pronger than with him (i think) so I'm going to say the Flyers are "for real." They have a legit shot to win the East - the way things look now anyway. Whether they win it or not, who should be favored to represent the East over the Flyers? Maybe the Pens if Crosby comes back healthy and stays healthy, maybe the Rags if they don't implode and Henry holds up. But why aren't the Flyers in the conversation? I say they are.

Of course it's still early and there's a hellluva lot of hockey left; the Pens could go on a tear and open up a 12-point lead, maybe the Rags can too who knows. But I'm as surprised as anyone to say the Flyers are right in the mix, and should be through the regular season.

As far as Bryzgalov, you're absolutely right, stealing games, giving us 20 minutes (or sometimes 40 or 60) of shutdown hockey is why we got him; he's expected to play above average (not to mention he's paid above average). But just because it's expected doesn't mean we shouldn't give credit where credit's due right?

I hated the Bryzgalov deal at the time, I still hate it today. If it's possible to hate it even more I'm sure I will as the next NINE FKNG YEARS go by. But he did shut the door in the 3rd against the Pens and it was encouraging to see. I have no idea if he's settled in now or not - my guess is he'll be inconsistent all year. The more he plays the better he is, which is his M.O., so maybe with a ton of work over the next few months he'll be ready come PO time.

Sorry Bob...Ed and Homer panicked and you got the shaft. Oh well. Here's hoping the Flyers find you a new home soon.

This is our supposed #1 goaltender and you guys seem to be acting like he's the second coming of Bernie because of one ******* period of good, not great, play. That's his job, and he needs to do that and better consistently. Our offense is doing very well, and making up for backbreaking goals against. I want the good goalie we were supposed to have to be there on a regular basis, for 60 min, not 20.

That said, it was a good 20 to show up for. I will gladly take the W, especially in division.

@doom88

he did what was needed to win in what was the arguably the biggest game of the season. every goalie lets in the occasional soft goal, and every goalie gets beat on great shots. in that pen's game he played against them the way MAF plays against us, he battled , he made the key save at the big moment. and that is something that the unholy trinity from last year didn't do down the stretch.

canoli is right it won't kill us to throw the guy a friggin' bone when he deserves one and he deserved on thursday.