All I can say is "Wow!"

Guest AndyS

Actually, it might be a lot easier finding a new owner where they actually care about hockey.

Man I hope so, no offense to the few actual hockey fans in Phoenix, I know it sucks to have a team move....but it really is better for the league, see Winnipeg v Atlanta

Man I hope so, no offense to the few actual hockey fans in Phoenix, I know it sucks to have a team move....but it really is better for the league, see Winnipeg v Atlanta

Not so fast. Looks as if the Coyotes will be staying in Phoenix.

ESPN.com and TSN Hockey Analyst Pierre LeBrun is reporting that the Coyotes could be nearing a sale, which would keep the team in Phoenix.

"Things are moving pretty quickly and a lot of work is being done," club president and COO Mike Nealy said in an interview Thursday with ESPN.com and QMI Agency of Canada. "I wouldn't be shocked if we saw something next week. I wouldn't be panicked if it didn't happen, but I'm looking for the near term."

The Coyotes have been without an owner since 2009 and have been run by the league since. If a deal can't be struck to sell the team locally, there is interest in Quebec City to relocate there.

But Nealy believes the odds are that the Coyotes will stay in the desert.

"I'm planning for next year, we're renewing tickets, we're making plans for next year and, so, I fully expect it," said Nealy. "I know it's not a guarantee, but I would say I'd put a high probability on it."

There have been rumours that a sale to San Jose Sharks executive Greg Jamison's group is all but done, but NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly stopped short of saying that.

"We are continuing to work with Greg Jamison and with the City of Glendale to move the process forward," Daly said via email on Thursday. "We remain hopeful that we can get a deal done, and we can move forward from there to close the transaction and transition ownership locally. Having said that, nothing is done yet and no timeline for completion has been established."

Nealy said the City of Glendale could discuss the situation as early next week.

@hf101

Yeah I saw that, I woulda thought they were a lock to relocate. Now all of a sudden.....putting together a nice playoff run, potential buyer wants to keep them in town, isn't there some dispute over monies due the city of Phoenix from NHL... Bettman looks good and gets to keep his southwest market .....things that make you go hmmm.....

@sarsippius

Yeah, I believe that is about the comments made by the mayor of Phoenix planning not to approve any further subsidy to keep the Coyotes, but since then the city council approved another 25M to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix for the 2012-2013 season. Probably one of the main reasons was that the city owns the arena and has debt to pay regardless, so they might as well try to fill the arena with Coyote fans.

Just remember that every franchise says nice things about intentions to stay where they are until the moving trucks pull up. Sounds like there are a lot of people trying to keep them there though... guess we'll all find out!