Briere

Guest AndyS

Anyone still want to cry about how overpaid he is?

I don't care what his regular season stats are - his playoff track record here is worth every penny.

11 more wins to go! Knock, knock!

actually nowadays his salary is probably about average or even a deal compared to other elite players in the NHL...yeah Briere is always money come playoff time..

I heard from a little birdie that on the old board Kuato is still ripping Briere even now due to his play in the regular season and saying he is not earling his paycheck or somehting like that. I have not seen it for myself but this is what I heard.

Edited by Poulin20

I heard from a little birdie that on the old board Kuato is still ripping Briere even now due to his play in the regular season and saying he is not earling his paycheck or somehting like that. I have not seen it for myself but this is what I heard.

That board is a mess. There's like a half a dozen actual posters over there....the rest is the seven screen names of Kuato, add in Pauli plus a Bruins troll, a Pens troll, and an advertising spammer. I pop in once in a while to drop a post with the few hockey fans left....it's so bad that VanFlyer got banned because of K bag reporting him....for posting about hockey I guess WTF....

To the point, Briere's contract really is a bargain at this stage, yeah I'd like to see better regular season production than we got this year, but he's playoff mercenary / hit man.....I'll take it

That board is a mess. There's like a half a dozen actual posters over there....the rest is the seven screen names of Kuato, add in Pauli plus a Bruins troll, a Pens troll, and an advertising spammer. I pop in once in a while to drop a post with the few hockey fans left....it's so bad that VanFlyer got banned because of K bag reporting him....for posting about hockey I guess WTF....

To the point, Briere's contract really is a bargain at this stage, yeah I'd like to see better regular season production than we got this year, but he's playoff mercenary / hit man.....I'll take it

Yeah I was just looking over there and noticed how bad it is...I even saw SidMalkin complaining that he misses us all. I also saw a Flyers poster mention that he doesn't like it over here becasue we are all doom and gloom and nitpicking the Flyers. Oh well!!!

It trust you and you clan had fun at the game yesterday!

@Poulin20

Oh yes, marvelous time was had by all, I got two very cool fans to switch seats so the four of us could sit together. My oldest son is 19 so he's been to a few playoff games, but this was a first PO for my 11 year old girl and the 5 year old little guy....Having the kids there while Lauren & Kate belt out God Bless America, playoff OT and the win to boot, priceless.

Hope you guys had a few adult beverages, look forward to throwing a few back tomorrow!

Read an article this morning that Briere is one of 19 players in the history of the NHL to average over a PPG with over 100 playoff games played.

Pretty darn impressive for the diminutive forward!

He's proven time and again that he is money in the playoffs.

@Poulin20

Why do you even check in over there? I seriously haven't signed in once since I joined this forum. All the regular posters are here and this is a much better managed board!

Back on topic...I agree that I could care less what Briere does in the regular season. He is worth every penny in these clutch post season moments!

@AndyS

I'm not sure people thought he was overpaid as much as they didn't like the length of the contract. I learned to keep my mouth shut after his first playoff explosion, but have to admit I had to bite my tongue this year. I don't know how he does it, but I'm glad he does.

Among the many stats out there regarding Flyers centerman Danny Briere, here’s one that you likely haven’t heard of.

Or even considered.

Danny Briere has 36 goals in the playoffs since leaving the Buffalo Sabres.

As NHL.com’s Adam Kimmelman figured out, the Sabres have scored just 33 in the five years he’s been gone.

@Poulin20

Special K quotes of late:

1) JVR is a stiff (which actually would get mixed reviews here)

2) Briere is a dud- who cares what he does during the playoffs, he coast through the regular season.

3) Voracek (this was in late february) is a dud and nothing special.

4) Schenn should be playing in the AHL.

5) Bryz is and has been a really good goalie (going back to his phoenix days)

Consider yourself up to date on the never ending spinmeister Kuato.

@sarsippius

"To the point, Briere's contract really is a bargain at this stage, yeah I'd like to see better regular season production than we got this year, but he's playoff mercenary / hit man.....I'll take it"

The thing with Briere, he seems to be an every other year player / injured. Last year he had a pretty good year. This year, it was ok (and he opened admitted the concussion really set him back).

I think overall his contributions both in the regular season and the playoff production / leadershp warrant the salary on his contract. He has one more year on his contract that pays him 7m and then the last two years it goes down to 3m and 2m (salary- not cap).

That is fine for me. We all have to remember that it was going to be Briere, Gomez or Drury and we got the cheapest out of the three that is actually playing with any decency.

@sarsippius

We all have to remember that it was going to be Briere, Gomez or Drury and we got the cheapest out of the three that is actually playing with any decency.

Indeed, and let us not forget how badly the organization needed a goal scorer (and a gate draw) following the worst season in franchise history. And he did help in that respect, had some good years since, and obviously has been clutch in the post season.

@sarsippius

"Indeed, and let us not forget how badly the organization needed a goal scorer (and a gate draw) following the worst season in franchise history. And he did help in that respect, had some good years since, and obviously has been clutch in the post season."

Totally agree as it was on the heals of the footpa debacle and they most definitely need name recognition to sell seats. Carter / Richards had not emerged yet as the front leaders.