What in the world was Briere doing?

Guest DAXflyer

I took a quote from another poster and spun it into a new thread. This play (non-play) deserves a spotlight for it's crap factor.

Briere on Zajac's goal.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console

Definition of a pilon. He does nothing but watch the play unfurl. He has to see Zajac digging the puck out from behind the net. Had he been back along the boards to intercept a pass he would have been doing something at least. No, he is right there in front of the net. He only needed to take 2-3 strides to come up into the play and lay a shoulder into Zajac as he comes around for the wrapper. He may not have arrived in time to stop it, but at the very least he is in Zajac's peripheral vision and may have impacted the way he plays the puck..... maybe he banks it off the board to a defender instead.

Love Danny's postseason play, but that was inexcuseable.... as noted by Gus.

Both him AND simmonds were picking their asses there. Of course they've gotta be aware of the D-men, but come on....

That play pretty much is a microcosm for the entire 2nd and 3rd periods.

Check out the first goal. Look where Briere is on that one. It was almost as bad. It looked like the whole Flyer team was skating in sand last night. I think they really got over confident and thought it would be cake walk. The worst thing to happen last night was for them to score early. They checked out after that.

Briere's defense is what got him waived originally, and cuts his ice time. He just doesn't care. Someone needs to beat into him that part of playing centre, the position he wants and performs better at, requires low defense. All five Devils on ice do it, every shift, so you know Briere has seen an example or two.

Briere has never been very good defensively. Yes some games he actually skates hard and you may even see him backcheck. But if the hockey world did a Selke vote for the entire league, I would think he'd be in the bottom 10%. When his game is on in the offensive zone, he more than makes up for it though.

yeah it was all Briere's fault on Tuesday...

i think i can find instances of every flyers forward watching the devils play hockey tuesday night. Our top 9 was atrocious, so to act like it's all Danny's fault is like saying the titanic sank because of a faulty O ring on bilge pump 4.

the well documented fact that he's not great defensively isn't exactly a secret so to act surprised and indignant over it is a little silly.

To pick on one player following that pathetic effort is really senseless. Everyone except Brzy and Wellwood **** the bed Tue night.

yeah it was all Briere's fault on Tuesday...

i think i can find instances of every flyers forward watching the devils play hockey tuesday night. Our top 9 was atrocious, so to act like it's all Danny's fault is like saying the titanic sank because of a faulty O ring on bilge pump 4.

the well documented fact that he's not great defensively isn't exactly a secret so to act surprised and indignant over it is a little silly.

In the other thread mentioned, someone mentioned "centers standing around" and I immediately recalled the video of Briere which I knew would be available. It was not meant as a specific slam on this player (as it was also noted that Lilja was out of position and gave up the side the goal was scored on).

It's a case-in-point both of "centers standing around" and of the problems which afflicted the entire Flyer team.

Still, in the third period of a home playoff game against a division rival, you need more than that from Briere in front of his own net.

And the other players for whom there isn't such easily available video evidence.

Briere's defense is what got him waived originally, and cuts his ice time. He just doesn't care. Someone needs to beat into him that part of playing centre, the position he wants and performs better at, requires low defense. All five Devils on ice do it, every shift, so you know Briere has seen an example or two.

He's 34 if he won't play defense in order to WIN A CUP he never will...so sad that they don't think play away from the puck is JUST AS IMPORTANT!!!!

Take a body lay a shoulder into someone (legally of course)......do something that SHOWS you're trying to help. How when they reveiew this the day after or when ever as a team can he justify what we are seeing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

He's 34 if he won't play defense in order to WIN A CUP he never will...so sad that they don't think play away from the puck is JUST AS IMPORTANT!!!!

Take a body lay a shoulder into someone (legally of course)......do something that SHOWS you're trying to help. How when they reveiew this the day after or when ever as a team can he justify what we are seeing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

I could see an argument that he's "covering the slot" - but all three forwards are already in front of him and there's Simmonds to seal off a Dman coming down the middle.

Covering the wrap-around is the important thing - especially once Lilja bails.

And, you know, looking at it again, it may be Lilja bailing to clear the crease that convinces Briere to stay where he is. It is a fast game...

Still, Briere is flat-footed through the entire sequence. And, yes, Simmonds wasn't much better.

that link looked like ryan callahan to me. might wanna check that... i have no idea what you're talking about.

Well...... it was a link to the Flyers lowlights at one point. Sure we have all seen the play by now.

I find it odd that nobody in this thread has pointed out that Zajac was JVR's guy on that play. JVR has him and for reasons that only he knows, chooses to skate into the corner instead of following Zajac around the net. The goal is more his fault than anybody's 'cause he simply quit on the play. It was his guy!

I find it odd that nobody in this thread has pointed out that Zajac was JVR's guy on that play. JVR has him and for reasons that only he knows, chooses to skate into the corner instead of following Zajac around the net. The goal is more his fault than anybody's 'cause he simply quit on the play. It was his guy!

It is a pretty good example of the team wide brainfart that Game Two was, yes :-)

It was a pretty classic "trap" game - Flyers were rolling, at home, Kovalchuk out, Devils looking to make a point.

I came into this expecting the Devils to win at least two. Seeing them win a game wasn't a shock.

If they look like that again tonight, then I'll worry.

• Like 1