outcoached or outplayed?

Guest touche22

I thought first OT was an anomaly in that the home team has the long change. A little help on this one please.

Both teams have the same length changes. I like starting OT with the long change, it forces teams to be on their toes or lose.

Coaching can come up with the plan, with all kinds of great plans, but execution is the responsibility of those playing. I don't see execution of anything tonight. They're all over the place, scrambling. No concerted attack, breakdowns on defense. New jersey is totally taking over and dictating the pace and play of this game. I still say outplayed.

I will agree with you and say they were outplayed but also say they served up a side dish of out coached. For me the coaches job is not only to decide who plays when and what lines, and breakdown the Xs and Os, but also to get the team up to play. You've heard plenty of times about coaches and their motivational speeches, or Lavi's brilliant timing of a timeout which is specifically used to get the players heads where they need to be. The first 2 games the Flyers played half assed. the played much harder last night but they are still missing that something. At the end of the day it is up to the player to decide how hard he actually goes but if I'm management, I look to my coach to get the guys going if they look like they are missing a step. That said, this is on the players mostly, Lavi can only say "c'mon guys, let's go!" so much

• Like 1

I'll agree with the "out coached" but only a little, Lavy likes for his team to dictate the terms and tempo of the game, and thus far he hasn't found the right combination of things to allow for this to happen. the devils really seem like they've gone to school on the flyers breakout, there always seems to be guys where the puck is being passed, it's like they moved the trap into the our offensive zone. they pressure with a couple of guys and seem to have a couple of guys pressuring the first pass option too. sometimes it seems like they're playing with 6 skaters. so either that's hustle or they're way faster than our guys (not likely) or they've studied up on our tendencies which will need a little tweaking.

the other thing is keeping the puck away from broduer, he's killing us with his puck handling, we need to have possession going into the o-zone , even when we get the puck deep he can still break the forecheck with his ability.

Lavy can only do so much though, it seems like our guys lose every big face off , we're always chasing the puck for possession, they're a big team so once they get the puck it makes it harder to knock them off it and energy that could be spent dictating the pace of play is spent chasing.

@aziz has a point, they've played as well as they can and have lost a game and have gone into OT on the other, and lead 2-1, we win sunday and everything is back to square one and we'll have home ice. they're not this juggernaut that can't be beat, hell a poor panthers team was able to beat them 3 times and could have won that series. i don't think the panthers do anything better than the flyers.

• Like 1