2 weak goals again by Bryz

Guest RonJeremy

@hf101

no, just don't get it. :(

ok, Huet is "the" example of placing a over payed, lousy, goal tender on waivers then to ship(loan) him off to Europe to play until the end of the contract, thus eliminating the team cap hit. My post was sarcastic in that the KHL can't wait to get such a "great?????" goaltender. :P

It's not all his fault it's partly his fault. God. Why are the 2 mutually exclusive with some of you guys? It can be both sometimes. Since the goalie plays the most prominent position he gets the lion's share of the credit and the blame. What is so terrible about pointing out where he deserves blame?

I can agree with this. But to you and, more to aziz, it's not just the number of shots faced. It's the number vs. the number the flyers have had. As I'm watching game 4, the flyers are being outshot 35-14. They were heavily outshot in game 3, as well. If the game ends right now, 35 doesn't go down as much on the score sheet, but the 35 vs. 14 pretty clearly shows which way the ice is tilted. Game 3 was similar.

I can agree with you, Canoli, that the two are not mutually exclusive (because you're right that they're not). It's just that for me when the team is clearly outplayed for several games in a row now to come on and point out the goalie---on a night when he actually kept them in the game--is a little strange.

But to you and, more to aziz, it's not just the number of shots faced. It's the number vs. the number the flyers have had.

if you are talking about how bryzgalov played, the number of shots the flyers had is irrelevant.

It's just that for me when the team is clearly outplayed for several games in a row now to come on and point out the goalie---on a night when he actually kept them in the game--is a little strange.

i don't think it's even about this series, really. because you are right, the flyers skaters are losing against the devils, and badly. they have no answers, and i don't know why. if they lose, some players will leave this summer, others will be brought in to address weaknesses, other current flyers will be a year older and a season more experienced, and we can hope for better next year. not so, with bryzgalov. the mediocre goaltending it here to stay. as we've said several times, we aren't saying he is the only reason the flyers are struggling against the devils, but he hasn't exactly been valiant in the losing effort. fix all the problems the skaters are having, and you still have questionable goals going in.

i just hate him. he is a slow, stiff, poor-skating, leaky, mentally fragile, overhyped, overpaid piece of sh|t. the fact that the rest of the team is crapping the bed at the moment doesn't change any of that, for me.

• Like 1

i just hate him. he is a slow, stiff, poor-skating, leaky, mentally fragile, overhyped, overpaid piece of sh|t. the fact that the rest of the team is crapping the bed at the moment doesn't change any of that, for me.

I think that sums things up for me too. He did give us a chance, tonight. He kept it close. The rest of the team just couldn't do anything with it. So credit to Bryz. But, that doesn't change the fact that he's still all those things you identified.

"i just hate him. he is a slow, stiff, poor-skating, leaky, mentally fragile, overhyped, overpaid piece of sh|t. the fact that the rest of the team is crapping the bed at the moment doesn't change any of that, for me.

"HELL YEAH..I GOT TO SAY ME TOO...IF SOMEONE NEEDS TO BE HATED!!!!!!!!!!!

First goal was totally weak, Bryz as usual, too deep in the net , not challenging and square to the shooter, puck trickles through his arm. Third goal, Bryz is as usual, uanware of whats going around the net on and is too slow in reacting as Parise stuffs in the puck. He gets beat in the same types of situations and same types of shots CONSTANTLY, he has done NOTHING to rectify his mistakes.You would think he would make some adjustments over the season, but he makes the same mistakes over and over. This guy just does not have what it takes, if the is any CBA escape clause I hope we use it. This guy has yet to show any consoistency or steal some games for us, the way Lundquist does for the Rangers and other top goalies do.

Lucky we had him tonight or score would of been 10-1....

Doom ,I totally agree with you, and I have posted about the same flaws that I see in Bryzs game. He does not even have down basic fundamentals, and he is not all that quick.For the money we are paying this guy, we shouldnt even be discussing this . What I want to know is, who the hell was scouting Bryz when we were thinking of signing him? Did they watch enough of his games or was a he a toally different goalie in Phoenix? I am never up to watch West coast hockey, so I never got to see much of Bryz's games. I can only go by what I see now. I see a typical Russian who dissapears when the pressure is on. I dont think this guy is metnally tough enough to play in Philly,where expectations are sky high. for the millions we are paying him, he is no better than Leighton, Bob or Boosh.

In the offseason we have to buy him out if CBA allows under the new deal, and sign a solid normal goalie, maybe Harding the guy from the Wild who I believe is an UFA. We should also see if Bob is worth sticking with or not. Bob has problems with the high shots due to crouching and going down on every shot, but Bob is quick is lightning and has amazing lateral movement, at least Bob makes some acrobatic saves here and there, Bryz rarely does. If we can properly coach Bob and get him to stand up a bit more,we will have a great goalie.

Let's maybe re-think this a bit, what do you think?

Lucky we had him tonight or score would of been 10-1....

yeah, if you had a bantam goalie in net. seriously, which of those shots were ones that you wouldn't expect any legitimate NHL goalie to stop? which ones blew your mind?

yeah, if you had a bantam goalie in net. seriously, which of those shots were ones that you wouldn't expect any legitimate NHL goalie to stop? which ones blew your mind?

Not Bryz Mr Hockey, needs a D in front if him. Hey, how about you coach this team?

if you are talking about how bryzgalov played, the number of shots the flyers had is irrelevant

I can agree with that to an extent. The number of shots the Flyers had doesn't directly correlate (sp?). But it does give an indication what direction the ice was tilted, especially when there is such a great difference in number of shots. You've played goal. So you know that watching the game the puck was incessantly in the Flyer end and not in the Debs end. Even if he's not facing a tremendous amount of difficult shots, it's more up and down, long stretches of immense tension and concentration, etc. I'm just saying all of this increases greatly the chances of something eventually squeaking through. Even something that, standing on its own, probably shouldn't have.

i don't think it's even about this series, really. because you are right, the flyers skaters are losing against the devils, and badly. they have no answers, and i don't know why. if they lose, some players will leave this summer, others will be brought in to address weaknesses, other current flyers will be a year older and a season more experienced, and we can hope for better next year. not so, with bryzgalov. the mediocre goaltending it here to stay. as we've said several times, we aren't saying he is the only reason the flyers are struggling against the devils, but he hasn't exactly been valiant in the losing effort. fix all the problems the skaters are having, and you still have questionable goals going in.

If we're talking about the large picture and, therefore, the entire season (minus maybe March), I can't begin to argue with you. Tremendous disappointment. Going forward, I don't know how you fix it other than cross your fingers over the summer that it was a goalie on the first year of a huge contract. I have my suspicions. I do KNOW that Bob is not the answer.

In my opinion (and clearly not particularly an insightful one--more like "no kidding"), the Flyers won the first series in spite of Bryz, not because of him. Clearly, they ran into a team whose defense was atrocious and whose goalie had more crap on the bed than Bryz.

But in this series--and in particular the last two games--I haven't found myself yelling "damnit Bryz!" at the TV like I did in either the Pens' series or pretty much all season. I find myself saying "damnit Flyers!" I guess the reason I initially responded in this thread was that I don't think that in this series or the game which drew the ire in this thread, in particular, is about Bryz. I think he's kept them in these games. Look, he's average at best. He's no Ken Dryden, for sure. So at some point he's going to need a little help from the team in front of him. And I haven't seen him getting any of that.

You can hate him if you want. I actually sympathize (you can hate him even if I don't--free country and all that rot). I'm just saying that objectively, I really don't think this series has been about him. He hasn't "saved the day." But I don't think he's cost the day either. I think we can both agree that the team, including Bryz, isn't winning this one.

@ruxpin

I'm just saying that objectively, I really don't think this series has been about him. He hasn't "saved the day." But I don't think he's cost the day either. I think we can both agree that the team, including Bryz, isn't winning this one.

no, you're right. something happened with the team in general. tired, injured, hungover from the pens' series, inexperienced, I don't know what. in any case, the flyers don't deserve to win this series, bryzgalov or no bryzgalov.

I kept flipping over to the LA series, though. they did not dominate the blues. their defense is not good; they left quick out to dry over and over again. yet he got it done. he routinely made up for blown coverages, weak clearances, he didn't just keep his team close, he gave them a real advantage. as opposed to bryzgalov, who turned in a middle of the pack, very average performance. I guess you can't really blame a guy for being average. he made most of the saves he was supposed to, and a couple he wasnt, so that's good enough, I suppose. when there was a defensive breakdown and he couldn't cone up with the save... that's on the defensemen, ultimately. the only goals we get upset about are the ones where everyone played their positions perfectly, but bryzgalov made a mistake.

which makes sense.

but Patrick Roy isn't in the hall of fame because he made the saves he was supposed to. brodeur isn't said to be the greatest goalie of all time because it was ok to allow goals so long as one of your defenders made a mistake. vezinas aren't handed out for average goaltending, and the LA kings aren't going to the semi finals because their defense has been perfect.

do we expect giroux to be average? 21 points was the league average this season. imagine if we were ok with average up and down the roster. Matt carle is defensively average, and look how roasted he is here.

we expect the top half of the roster to be better than average. I'd like that to include the number one goalie. I'm unhappy in the short term, because there are teams certainly no better than the flyers who are going to advance primarily because their goaltending stopped more than it was supposed to, and I'm unhappy in the long term, because bryzgalov's contact means the flyers will not have that advantage for a long time. whatever problems the roster is having right now can be worked on over time, but not the goaltending. wysiwyg.

/rant (for now)

@aziz...

they did not dominate the blues. their defense is not good; they left quick out to dry over and over again. yet he got it done. he routinely made up for blown coverages, weak clearances, he didn't just keep his team close, he gave them a real advantage.

Sorry i'm a Flyer fan that has had to watch Bryz all year so i'm not familiar with this concept, yet i have heard of it.

Look around you've seen it consistently from every team left in the playoffs...yet not so much from Flyerland.

Even the youngest guy Holtby has single handly almost held them in this series and have the Rags on the ropes.

Bryz has already been paid so ain't changing that now...Bob's confidence has been crushed the way he has been used through out the season so they can't even go to him, not when the need a change somehow so way.