series is over

Guest touche22

If they don't start showing some heart and determination, then you're right. It's like they've just decided that they're done. Win the series against Pittsburgh, take the rest of the playoffs off. If they thought the rest of the playoffs were going to be a cakewalk or that they could coast, they're sure getting their wakeup call. A real good lesson for a young team. Don't get cocky. They aren't as good as they could be yet. Certainly not good enough to phone it in. Just hope it isn't too late to do something about it. New Jersey looks real good.

• Like 1

it's a 7 game series, but i certainly don't like our chances right now. devils seem to have something figured out about our style of play. we can only seem to counteract it in very short spells. we only really need to take one from their building. if we do that, we still have a chance. but, it's not looking good. sunday's game... of course, is the most important game of the season. lose that one... and we're truly done.

Personally, I was surprised that the Flyers even got past Pittsburgh. They're a young team still learning about the playoffs and Bryz has just started to adjust to the team (no, he has not been spectacular but there are only a handful of goalies that are such, point is it that he has kept us in it). Anything now is icing on the cake. Do I want them to come back? Sure I do, and I do think they CAN win the series, not just with how they have been playing lately.

They sure figured out our powerplay. And I sure hope it's a 7 game series, but I'm not going to bet on it. You're right about Sunday. If we lose the next game I'm not going to abandon ship, but I will throw the women and children into the lifeboats!

It's not over, but the Flyers need to be more careful with the puck possession, pass completion, and goaltending. Since the latter is hopeless, double up on the first.

Right now I don't see the same hatred and intensity that was in the Pittsburgh series. Give full credit to the Devils for the way they're playing but the Flyers team doesn't look as hungry as they did against the Pens. Bryzgalov seems to give up a bad goal almost every game.

• Like 4

Debbies are simply attacking the puck carrier during our PP and clogging up lanes, if we move the puck quickly and crisply we can overcome it. Instead we are flubbing passes turning the puck over in the offensive zone as a result of the pressure.

I have not seen them get beat to every puck possesion, and give up those many lucky bounces in a long time. They just are coasting out there aside from the select few. I will not make excuses for this team but I guarantee that they are also stressing over the fact they are afraid to make a mistake because Bryz can not save a freaking beach ball from going in a plastic cup...

Edited by Philly29

book it.

Been outworked last 5 periods.

1 shot on net in two PP opportunities in OVERTIME...certainly not the mark of a hungry team.

Oh well, at least i will get to enjoy the fishing season!

Enjoy your summer. I'll be watching the rest of the games and cheering the boys on (and sometimes screaming obscenities) until they lose 4.

• Like 2

They're getting outplayed. It's all in their heads. For some reason the motivation isn't there. And you can't blame Carter and Richards. The team needs a wakeup call. if going down 2-1 against NJ isn't one, they're done. But if they'd show the same hustle and drive they're playing against, we have the deeper team.

• Like 1

Debbies are simply attacking the puck carrier during our PP and clogging up lanes, if we move the puck quickly and crisply we can overcome it. Instead we are flubbing passes turning the puck over in the offensive zone as a result of the pressure.

It may just be me, but it seems like all the passes are in the feet of the receiving player.

I'll take a shot at it - what's wrong this series. FC alluded to it when he said "it's all in their heads."

There are a few things at work but the biggest one the Flyers can control is their mental preparation. The Flyers are guilty of believing their own press. Listen to the comments from the players. Jake says "everyone said we would sweep" and "we thought it would be easy." Briere says nearly the same exact thing, "We're playing like they're going to let us do what we want out there [on the PP]." A bunch of players have said stuff like, "we're not hungry enough" etc. All those comments are about mental preparation and the Flyers have failed in that area.

The stuff they can't control is working against them too, with the Devils' determination #1, the long layoff #2 (that everybody said was a good thing).

Both of those can be overcome by keeping the game simple and playing to your strengths, which for the Flyers are speed and their offensive firepower. But it's hard to do. So you go back to the mental part of the game. The Flyers will be ready Sunday, guaranteed. I'm confident the series is tied going back to Philly.

Yeah with most teams that's always true. For some reason with the Flyers it takes them much longer to get back into a groove. They've been like that all year with the slow starts. Now it's translating to slow starts to PO series. I know we went up 3-0 on the Pens but that was a fluky series.

It's hard to believe "rust" is still an issue 3 games in but it sure looks like it is.

Not sure I'd call it rust. Motivation? There isn't the hate there that they had for the Pens. And so far the Devils haven't done anything, other than win, to pizz them off. It's like they need an "Us Against The World" theme to inspire them. I think they were hyped for the Pens BEFORE the seeding was even set. Now theres a letdown. At least that's my take.

Not sure I'd call it rust. Motivation? There isn't the hate there that they had for the Pens. And so far the Devils haven't done anything, other than win, to pizz them off. It's like they need an "Us Against The World" theme to inspire them. I think they were hyped for the Pens BEFORE the seeding was even set. Now theres a letdown. At least that's my take.

Maybe they should start treating Kovalchuk and Parise like they treated Crosby and Malkin, with hatred and wanting to beat the crap out of them. They know they can't go back to Philly down 3 games to 1 so sunday they have to bring their best effort of the series. There might be some truth that they don't want to make mistakes because they know it will end up in the back of the Flyers net. Let's face it, in the Pittsburgh series, Fleury was worse than Bryzgalov, so that's saying a lot as to how bad Fleury played. The Flyers strengths is their speed and offensive and we've yet to really see that like we did in the Pens series. The teams they're facing now are way better defensively than the Pens and the Flyers haven't adjusted to it yet.

@Lindbergh31

I agree they need to figure how to play against D. The Pens had none. But every other team is playing good team D. They'd better figure it out by next game. I always find it hard to believe guys need something to get them going once they're in the playoffs.

Flyers need to hate the Debs. Giroux is taking his frustration out on himself instead of them. Whether he's hurt or not, he needs to channel that in the other direction. If he does - and I think he can - the team will hop on his back and we can still win this.

But it ain't gonna be easy.

• Like 1