series is over

Guest touche22

Flyers need to hate the Debs. Giroux is taking his frustration out on himself instead of them. Whether he's hurt or not, he needs to channel that in the other direction. If he does - and I think he can - the team will hop on his back and we can still win this.

But it ain't gonna be easy.

Lindbergh and yourself have nailed it. I don't see any hate out there. I see more fear of screwing up, especially on the power play. The Devils (with the exception of Clarkson) are a tough team to hate though. They play whistle to whistle and are very disciplined. I don't want to see any cheap Penguin tactics, but I do want to see the Flyers show the Devils that they don't like them.

I do know that the Flyers always always do things the hard way. I won't give up on them until they're done. They have to regain that "compete" mentality somehow. I think Hartnell, Simmonds and Schenn have to step things up to at least make the Devils hate the Flyers. Once the hate is on, things will fall into place.

Maybe they should start treating Kovalchuk and Parise like they treated Crosby and Malkin, with hatred and wanting to beat the crap out of them. They know they can't go back to Philly down 3 games to 1 so sunday they have to bring their best effort of the series. There might be some truth that they don't want to make mistakes because they know it will end up in the back of the Flyers net. Let's face it, in the Pittsburgh series, Fleury was worse than Bryzgalov, so that's saying a lot as to how bad Fleury played. The Flyers strengths is their speed and offensive and we've yet to really see that like we did in the Pens series. The teams they're facing now are way better defensively than the Pens and the Flyers haven't adjusted to it yet.

parise like giroux is very hard to hit. he is also tough as nails. i am not sure ive seen him lose a puck battle all series. the bryz argument is over imo. he was terrible 90% of the year, terrible in the 1st round, but he has played better than both goalies he's faced imo. brodeur is giving up horrible rebounds, getting beat on clean shots, and misplaying the puck just as much if not more. the problem is they have the puck all the time.

Debbies are simply attacking the puck carrier during our PP and clogging up lanes, if we move the puck quickly and crisply we can overcome it. Instead we are flubbing passes turning the puck over in the offensive zone as a result of the pressure.

Well said. And at times we're getting way too cute.

Please remove simmonds and hartsy from the pp. Hartnell looks to be (pretty obviously) injured, and simmonds hasnt shown up since the playoffs began.

I by no means think the series is over, but I feel like the team expelled so much energy and aggression against the pens. I looks like their running out of fuel. I personally blame gas prices.

Win Sunday and it's a brand new series.

Edited by Orangecat

You guys are all correct. They are somehow seeing the devils as human beings, instead of the 'godless f uck heathens' that they are;) That can't happen in a playoff series. They need to bring the 'nasty' and make sure they get every single loose puck out there, gain possession and move the puck north quickly, instead of f ucking around with it!

Would not shock me if we lost this series.

But the only reason we are down 2-1 right now a lack of effort. Just can't understand how that is possible at this point in the playoffs.

Right now the Devils are just playing harder. No excuse for that.

I have not seen them get beat to every puck possesion, and give up those many lucky bounces in a long time. They just are coasting out there aside from the select few. I will not make excuses for this team but I guarantee that they are also stressing over the fact they are afraid to make a mistake because Bryz can not save a freaking beach ball from going in a plastic cup...

i think we do need to give the devils their due here. they are a much better team than i have given them credit for being. deboer is coaching a great series thus far as well. they just seem to have an answer for all of our weapons. i do not think we're playing our best, but i also think we *look* much worse because the devils are simply the hungrier team. they're beating us to a man. puck battles... urgency, you name it.

i think our mental errors and sloppy play can largely be attributed to the devils high pressure attack. gotta give them props. i just hope lavy can dream up a way to counteract it between now and sunday because right now the devils want it more and they're playing like it.

yes it's over. Flyers has no determination to win this series. Sad. Absolutely bad for coach, it's his job to make a team win.

One thing is good I got IPhone 4S.

They're getting outplayed. It's all in their heads. For some reason the motivation isn't there. And you can't blame Carter and Richards. The team needs a wakeup call. if going down 2-1 against NJ isn't one, they're done. But if they'd show the same hustle and drive they're playing against, we have the deeper team.

Oh, I think we can still blame Carter and Richards. For what I dont know but blame them anyway.

• Like 1

book it.

Been outworked last 5 periods.

1 shot on net in two PP opportunities in OVERTIME...certainly not the mark of a hungry team.

Oh well, at least i will get to enjoy the fishing season!

Lavy is being outcoached right now..plain and simple.. and the young guys are breaking down..

The Devils finished strong, they had 1 less point than our guys , so it's not like they suck... I can credit their players and their coach they are very effective with their forechecking and are winning more 1on 1 battles. Plus it seems to m like they know our tendencies on the breakout. There are always sticks and skates in the way of our passes. Plus I think they're doing a good job in their end pressuring the puck carrier and blocking shots.

I still think our guys can win the series though, when our guys are able to sustain our forecheck the debs have no answer, so it comes down to our guys winning races and possessing the puck, Elias is killing G in the circle , we're always chasing the puck cause we can't seem to win any draws. That would help too.

The series is far from over. But there are some observations that don't instill much hope in me:

1. The Devils are playing a very disciplined hockey, which is nothing new with this franchise. There were several occasions during Game 2 and Game 3 when the Flyers tried to engage them in stuff, get them off their game, and they just looked away. Like I saud earlier, this team isn't going to self-distruct like the Pens did. Laviolette has to find some new tricks in his bag.

2. Giroux is trying to do too much. I guess when your coach calls you the best player in the world, you get that idea that you have to carry the world on your shoulders. He needs to simplify his game. Make a quick pass or shoot on net instead of tyrying to dance with a puck and then get stripped.

3. The most frustrating and mind-blowing thing - which we are all noting - is the Flyers are playing like they don't want it. This is astounding and I just have no explanation for it. There is a night-and-day difference between their approach to the game to the Pens series and to this series. They seem to be content with cruising for good spurs of each game and then hoping they can score as many gaols as they want and get a win. Clearly, this won't work with this Devils team. The Flyers better have learned that this approach has only one consequence - an exit. They really need to get that drive, determination and healthy anger back.... what made them successful against Pittsburgh.

4. They are making it way to easy on the Devils' top scorers. And that actually leads to the Devils' gaining a blue line way too easily. Do you guys see our players molesting the Devils? Because I don't. They need to start pounding their players. And I am not just talking about taking body - that goes without saying. We need to harass the puck carriers to the point that they cannot complete the pass and are forced to just get rid of the puck. We have to get the team toughness and attitude back. We need Hartnell, Max, Schenn, Simmonds and Grossmann to start administering some serious beating.

I also have to wonder how much of an emotion of the win in the first series has to do with what's going on so far. Is it possible that the Flyers have invested so much emotion in the first round win that they burned out emotionally after that astounding, impressive victory?

I said in chat during Game 3 that this series very much reminds of 1996 series against the Panthers, when Lindros and Company entered the series as a heavy favorite. The Panthers took them off their game and Beezer stoned them. The difference is, that Florida team had no big names. The Flyers got beat by the likes of Dave Lowry, Garpenlov, Stu Barnes, Rob Neidermeyer, and Mike Hough... and they *still* lost the series. In contrast, this Devils team have some very skilled scorers. You give Elias, Parise, Kovy, Zajac, and Sykora time and they will score every time.

I still think the Flyers can take this series. Two days off actually works in their favor. But they really have to put together 60 minutes of effort and come out with relentless forechecking and physicality. They can no longer take shifts and periods off. If they do it, they will win in 7.

I think the emotional balloon burst with the hate filled series vs the Pens and that there are some injuries affecting players.

All that aside, why is it the other teams players are always heavier, more physical and skating through the puck instead of to it

( knocking our players off the puck or skates)

But the only reason we are down 2-1 right now a lack of effort. Just can't understand how that is possible at this point in the playoffs.

Exactly they are the guys that have been training for this moment since last september, all that time for the moment they are living right now!!!

Edit: Not sure how i got the double post there but oh well.

Time to empty the tank and leave it all on the ice.

One win can change everything.

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

>> devils seem to have something figured out about our style of play

Yes, they figured out that our D will back off and not hit them... and our O will pass before they shoot... ( well.. try to pass and not try to shoot )... pretty easy to see that.

>> devils seem to have something figured out about our style of play

Yes, they figured out that our D will back off and not hit them... and our O will pass before they shoot... ( well.. try to pass and not try to shoot )... pretty easy to see that.

I have noticed them giving up the blue line also...usually it has been Lilja and his partner and in every case that I've noticed it, NJ has had odd man situations with a flyers forward in full burner trying to even it up. So I'm not sure that laying the lumber is the right play. Cause if you miss it's a two on zero or breakaway. Aside from the scenario I've just typed though I,d like to see them make that entry into the zone more difficult than it has been so far.

It's got little to do with Xs and Os or Lilja and Gus or anyone in particular (except our fabulous [not] goaltender). For me it's all about effort - or motivation - or desire / hunger - whatever you call it ("heart" anyone?) but the Flyers better skate their shifts like it's their last. Games are won and lost shift by shift. Win the majority of them and you win the game. It's pretty simple when you come down to it.

Starts with the draws - which of course is a team thing, a 5-man win or loss. Then it's all about the foot races, the puck-possession battles. The Devils have had the puck way more than we have - probably twice as much us. That has to change or we're down 3-1 after tonight.

Bryz just has to stop the ones he's suppose to stop.

That is all.

Looking at the goaltending that is left and then looking at Bryz just makes me shake my head...

...Quick, Lunqvist, Rinne, Brodure, Elliot, Smith, Holtby it seems the Flyers have the weakest LINK in net...maybe they can win despite him.

• Like 1

1 more year of Lilja, Carle is all but gone. JvR potential or not has not shown me that he is worth a fraction of his contract, Jagr will retire, etc.

We should have some $$$ to upgrade the defense this summer. They need a solid #1 D man. Where is the D man tree at again? Homer needs to shake it.

I think Ed Snider should present golf clubs to each player before the game in Philly and then they can play a game against well prepared Pens team on golf course.

This is logical end of the season for both teams.

• Like 1

I think Ed Snider should present golf clubs to each player before the game in Philly and then they can play a game against well prepared Pens team on golf course.

This is logical end of the season for both teams.

How about the old man snap a driver over his knee and beat Lilja silly? Maybe yelling something crazy like "not yet you don't."