Giroux Suspension coming?

Guest Bakanekimiwa

Mackenzie and many others are clamoring for a suspension for giroux. am I the only one who doesn't think he deserves even a fine? it was a late hit, that was all. yes, he made contact with the head, but it's not like he was actively targeting the head. he was throwing his shoulder while zubrus was leaning forward.

if the league does suspend him I will cry holy bull **** because the crap a malkin and neal gets away with and completely overlooked should tell us that this is not a suspend able hit.

btw, I've never seen a player in the box on a 'targeting the head penalty'

• Like 1

Mackenzie and many others are clamoring for a suspension for giroux. am I the only one who doesn't think he deserves even a fine? it was a late hit, that was all. yes, he made contact with the head, but it's not like he was actively targeting the head. he was throwing his shoulder while zubrus was leaning forward.

if the league does suspend him I will cry holy bull **** because the crap a malkin and neal gets away with and completely overlooked should tell us that this is not a suspend able hit.

btw, I've never seen a player in the box on a 'targeting the head penalty'

Let's see if the NHL's "let's not suspend stars" policy extends to Philly on a very marginal blow to the head call. It wouldn't shock me if he were fined and I would be OK with that. If they were to suspend him, I think we would have good reason to wonder why him and not Weber.

I said in the shoutbox...Giroux is a star player. He is NOT a repeat offender. Zubrus wasn't hurt on the play. The Flyers are on the brink of elimination. All these point to NO suspension. Unless they only apply to NON-Flyer teams.

Malkin attempts that hit once a game.

None of this matters unless the Flyers can skate and work their arses off for an entire 60 minutes.

welp... it's official.. giroux has a hearing with the league this morning at 11

Great. Jody Shelley just walked into Lavy's office and said if G gets suspended, he wants that first shift.

• Like 1

Is this a joke?

I missed it live because I briefly turned the game off after the Devils scored their third. But I just watched this over and over, and for the life of me I can't even figure out why it is a penalty. It looks a bit rough from the live-side camera, but the replay from the opposite side has Zubrus barely being grazed. I have no idea what Shanny will do (he won't either until the wheel stops spinning), but a suspension here would be nuts.

Is this a joke?

I missed it live because I briefly turned the game off after the Devils scored their third. But I just watched this over and over, and for the life of me I can't even figure out why it is a penalty. It looks a bit rough from the live-side camera, but the replay from the opposite side has Zubrus barely being grazed. I have no idea what Shanny will do (he won't either until the wheel stops spinning), but a suspension here would be nuts.

i agree with you, but nothing would surprise me anymore...

@ruxpin

Yeah it totally looked like a normal and good hit, but his shoulder does come up and catch Zubrus on the chin. I don't necessarily think it was planned (i.e. that he targeted it), since it was a typical hard battle for a puck that Giroux typically makes.

If there is a suspension it should equal roughly the punishment doled out to Neal for his jumping/7 seconds too late/ head shot and the Malkin targeted elbow to Grossmann.

I think the 60 seconds between shifts that Giroux takes should pretty much cover it.

If Neal's explanation worked, than Giroux should be able to argue that he missed his hit ever so slightly, which is actually what it looks like.

@ruxpin

Yeah it totally looked like a normal and good hit, but his shoulder does come up and catch Zubrus on the chin. I don't necessarily think it was planned (i.e. that he targeted it), since it was a typical hard battle for a puck that Giroux typically makes.

But remember before the hit Giroux was yelling at the ref regarding Brodeur playing the puck outside the goalie zone behind the net, so he was pissed that there was no call on that. Then he ends up going down to hit Zubrus. We'll see what Shanahan does, if he thinks that Giroux took out his frustration on Zubrus because of the non-call seconds before, then I can see Shanahan suspending Giroux for one game. If he does, then maybe that will be the rallying point for the rest of the team to start playing hockey [ which is sad considering these guys shouldn't need motivation to get up for a playoff game in the first place].

If he does, then maybe that will be the rallying point for the rest of the team to start playing hockey

Yeah, we can only hope.

And drink. We can do that. In fact, I plan to be numb with drink before the puck even drops tomorrow night. I'm not sure even the fat lady herself, risen from the grave, singing God Bless America can help us.....

Yeah, we can only hope.

And drink. We can do that. In fact, I plan to be numb with drink before the puck even drops tomorrow night. I'm not sure even the fat lady herself, risen from the grave, singing God Bless America can help us.....

i think that might need to be my plan as well. it's been a very frustrating series to watch. and i just had the feeling last night, the 75th anniversary of the Hindenburg disaster, that we were watching them go down in flames in slow motion.

oh the humanity!

Am I the only one who thinks that was a cheap shot by Giroux that did target the head? He can argue otherwise and may avoid a suspension but I think in his heart he knew exactly what he was doing. I think he was frustrated and his emotions got the best of him. He is human. I think it deserves a fine, maybe not a suspension, but as one poster said, maybe a suspension would be the rally point this team needs.

• Like 2

I agree with @trevluk regarding Giroux. i think he knew exactly what he was doing, i think watching broduer play the puck outside of the trapezoid for the 60th time this series coupled with a couple of good old fashioned punches to his back finally took their toll.

this current beat down from the devils for whatever reason is easier for me to handle, they are beating our guys all over the ice. winning battles, foot races, their forecheck is causing lots of turnovers... the results so far in the series are just.

when i think back to the early 00's and late 90's the flyers were out working the devils , out shooting them 38- 25 and losing 3-2 because that ****** broduer was ridiculously good. this isn't like that, this is our guys are getting beaten, and sometimes that happens.

• Like 1

I looked at the film of this hit just now and think Giroux should spend some time with Malkin over the summer if he wants to perfect this move. Malkin gets away with it many times during the course of a season. I predict Giroux won't get away with this hit and will receive a one game suspension. It won't be fair in the sense that both Weber and Neal (not to mention Malkin again for his hit on Grossmann) got away with hits they should not have, but this is the nature of NHL supplementary discipline.

• Like 1