Giroux suspended 1 game (Official)

Guest rainbowjeremy

How about just saying it was a "reckless and reactionary play" - please fine me $2,500.

Thank you.

Saying "thank you" is the important part. The NHL expects the highest standard of courtesy.

Giroux should probably have been suspended for a game for the hit, BUT if you're comparing it to the consistency of the other rulings lately, they should have said "Bad Claude, bad!" and let him go.

exactly. i can see how it was a suspendable thing in the abstract, but in light of the other stuff that has gone unpunished recently, i really have a tough time figuring it.

i mean, this IS a deliberate hit to the head on contact with no relevance to the play:

but...ovechkin gets nothing, no even a hearing on this??:

that doesn't add up...until you consider that the flyers are for the most part done, whereas the caps are very much still in that series. i am convinced that is the kind of logic the league is using.

hat doesn't add up...until you consider that the flyers are for the most part done, whereas the caps are very much still in that series. i am convinced that is the kind of logic the league is using.

I had not seen this, so wasn't aware that they had already let an infraction by a star player go unpunished. Serial goalpost moving, pathological rationalization, justice to suit every occasion.

Wow. I am just absolutely sold on the fact that the NHL plays favorites. Well, I have been for a while now, but I just don't see how anyone else can say otherwise.

This suspension is a joke. Not because of the hit but because of the inconsistency.

The NHL is freaking corrupt. Maybe I'll get into some other sport. Or I'll just play a sport over she winter and abandon this ridiculous corrupt league.

• Like 1

So let me get this straight, Weber can smash another man's skull into glass and get a fine, Neal can get ONE game for hitting two Flyers in the dome on the same shift, nothing to the Devil that hit Simmonds in the head the same game of G's hit, Kronwall can do no wrong, OV can continue to leap into opposing skaters, Voracek can end up cockroaching on the ice with no penalty, but Zubrus at six inches taller can drop his head low enough to catch Giroux's shoulder WITHOUT SKATES LEAVING THE ICE mind you - and THAT warrants a suspension? The guy was fine, scored two goals, and didn't say it was a dirty hit. No history. All the things the NHL loves to run up the suspension for, absent. **** this ****. Maybe there really is an anti-Flyers bias.

Yeah Roo was pissed, and yeah meant to hit Zubrus, it's a contact sport. But certainly G's target was not the head intentionally. Garbage. Bush league.

Aside, G, stop whining about calls. You're embarrassing the crest, and you're not going to get them anyway (obviously).

• Like 2

Yeah Roo was pissed, and yeah meant to hit Zubrus, it's a contact sport. But certainly G's target was not the head intentionally. Garbage. Bush league.

But being pissed is a good thing! Showing passion is a reason the NHL has given in the past for NOT suspending players. Remember this one:

Colin Campbell on this hit: "Every 5-minute major is not a suspension or a fine. There's gotta be a little bit of passion in the game."

(full article - http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Campbell-explains-Burrows-fine-no-suspension-fo?urn=nhl,213626)

But being pissed is a good thing! Showing passion is a reason the NHL has given in the past for NOT suspending players. Remember this one:

Colin Campbell on this hit: "Every 5-minute major is not a suspension or a fine. There's gotta be a little bit of passion in the game."

(full article - http://sports.yahoo....?urn=nhl,213626)

wow. no suspension on that??? oh wait, he was a Pen. Play on.

The latest NHL rationalization could have been that after Torres crushed Hossa, the league was going to crack down and send a message. So under this logic, the Neal and Weber incidents, as well as anything else that happened pre-Torres on Hossa occurred under a different regime, so Giroux could have been suspended under this supposed "crack down" spawned by the collective rage at Torres' hit. Sounds noble, right? For a brief, fleeting moment the NHL was looking like it had a spine!! The only problem is the flying drop kick Ovie put on Callahan and got away with AFTER Torres was suspended.

Brendan Shanahan is nothing more than a shill.

The latest NHL rationalization could have been that after Torres crushed Hossa, the league was going to crack down and send a message. So under this logic, the Neal and Weber incidents, as well as anything else that happened pre-Torres on Hossa occurred under a different regime, so Giroux could have been suspended under this supposed "crack down" spawned by the collective rage at Torres' hit. Sounds noble, right? For a brief, fleeting moment the NHL was looking like it had a spine!! The only problem is the flying drop kick Ovie put on Callahan and got away with AFTER Torres was suspended.

Brendan Shanahan is nothing more than a shill.

The stupid thing for me about the Torres/Hossa hit is that it was OBVIOUSLY that Hossa got carted off the ice on national television that was the real issue. Torres' hit is not 25 times as egregious as , say, Neal's or Giroux's. The stupid part is that that is, medically, the CORRECT THING TO DO in that situation. It is NOT to allow the player to stagger back to the bench and try to convince the coaching staff and trainers that he's really OK and should stay in the game.

IMO, if they had MORE instances of taking the CORRECT medical call in that situation and carted every player who looked as if they had just been shot when they dropped to the ice and, perhaps, even required that they be held off for evaluation it would 1) help indemnify the league in terms of how they treat head contact; 2) stop the glaringly obvious (to anyone except the former player Brendan Shanahan) flopping and diving (as if Zubrus was SO affected...); 3) make players more accountable

2) stop the glaringly obvious (to anyone except the former player Brendan Shanahan) flopping and diving (as if Zubrus was SO affected...); 3) make players more accountable

(3) Start adding suspensions for the soccer dives and increase them as needed until the blatant diving stops...

but...ovechkin gets nothing, no even a hearing on this??:

that doesn't add up...until you consider that the flyers are for the most part done, whereas the caps are very much still in that series. i am convinced that is the kind of logic the league is using.

Sorry for my late entry, but you are especially correct in light of the fact that Ovie's already been suspended this season for a charge where he clearly left his feet.

No consistency.

So let me get this straight, Weber can smash another man's skull into glass and get a fine, Neal can get ONE game for hitting two Flyers in the dome on the same shift, nothing to the Devil that hit Simmonds in the head the same game of G's hit, Kronwall can do no wrong, OV can continue to leap into opposing skaters, Voracek can end up cockroaching on the ice with no penalty, but Zubrus at six inches taller can drop his head low enough to catch Giroux's shoulder WITHOUT SKATES LEAVING THE ICE mind you - and THAT warrants a suspension? The guy was fine, scored two goals, and didn't say it was a dirty hit. No history. All the things the NHL loves to run up the suspension for, absent. **** this ****. Maybe there really is an anti-Flyers bias.

The Kronwall hit on Voracek is irrelevant to this discussion, despite the fact you don't want it to be. Even Voracek HIMSELF admitted the hit was clean and belongs in the game.

Having said that, the argument that the league's disciplinary sanctions are inconsistent is VERY valid. Just need other examples. there are plenty. Ovie's hit posted earlier in this thread is a great comparison.

• Like 1

Doesn't matter what team, what game... the punishments have been inconsistent. Some of you like to point out the non-suspensions for my Pens players repeatedly... and dives, etc etc... but there have also been suspensions for petty crap too, and bad calls for dives made by other teams as well, yours included.

No matter the issue, the consistency is what is hurting the NHL. Superstar vs grinder, or any other players. Doesn't seem to matter who is in the position, it's done without any consistency. That being said, based on the hit alone, Giroux deserved a one game for shoulder to jaw contact on a hit. Yeah the puck wasn't there anymore but so what? It's the hit that hurts. I'm not saying it was intentional or dirty, just reckless.

Doesn't matter what team, what game... the punishments have been inconsistent. Some of you like to point out the non-suspensions for my Pens players repeatedly... and dives, etc etc... but there have also been suspensions for petty crap too, and bad calls for dives made by other teams as well, yours included.

No matter the issue, the consistency is what is hurting the NHL. Superstar vs grinder, or any other players. Doesn't seem to matter who is in the position, it's done without any consistency. That being said, based on the hit alone, Giroux deserved a one game for shoulder to jaw contact on a hit. Yeah the puck wasn't there anymore but so what? It's the hit that hurts. I'm not saying it was intentional or dirty, just reckless.

Yeah whatever you're referring to the hit Neal put on Couturier?

Then attempt at Gs head and he only get 1 game!!!

Or Malkinstein CHEAP HIT on GrossmanN with NO CAL;L or even suspension???????

hahaha!

whatever dude

Edited by hf101
please keep post to topic without personal attacks

Wear homer glasses often?? You validate my point! Yes there should've been a suspension for Malkin hitting Grossman with his shoulder. That's exactly what I'm saying. It's the same thing Giroux did. Giroux's just looks worse because he launches his shoulder up into Zubrus' jaw. Malkin did more of a skate by into the side of the jaw. It's that lack of consistency that's the problem! Try reading the posts instead of just focusing on the team I'm a fan of. Especially if you're going to try throwing insults and make yourself look like an ass.

Edited by Polaris922

@Polaris922

um yeah we're a little a... tender around here. not used to seeing our boys get worked because they got outworked. people are a having a hard time with it.

that said, imo giroux's hit was reckless and violated the head contact rule , and a suspension was probably warranted. if that is the standard and it applies to everyone then great, but as you have said it doesn't, and that makes our resident conspiracy theorists very .... well it gets them going to say the least.

• Like 1

The Kronwall hit on Voracek is irrelevant to this discussion, despite the fact you don't want it to be. Even Voracek HIMSELF admitted the hit was clean and belongs in the game.

Having said that, the argument that the league's disciplinary sanctions are inconsistent is VERY valid. Just need other examples. there are plenty. Ovie's hit posted earlier in this thread is a great comparison.

It was "head contact" uncalled with an injured player practically seizing on ice. Sure he said it was a clean hit. No supplemental anything.

NJ and Zubrus said clean hit, Zubrus was not injured, G had no history or reputation, etc. It is very similar, except Zubrus was just fine and somehow the refs call an obscure penalty that they never call. 2 min and the next game in the press box. Sounds fair, what was I thinking.

@Polaris922

um yeah we're a little a... tender around here. not used to seeing our boys get worked because they got outworked. people are a having a hard time with it.

that said, imo giroux's hit was reckless and violated the head contact rule , and a suspension was probably warranted. if that is the standard and it applies to everyone then great, but as you have said it doesn't, and that makes our resident conspiracy theorists very .... well it gets them going to say the least.

Believe me I understand. As a Pens fan I honestly thought we would handle your Flyers in a tough series. I never expected the series to go the way it did. Everyone gets sore after a playoff loss. If they didn't, it would be a sign they didn't care.

It was "head contact" uncalled with an injured player practically seizing on ice. Sure he said it was a clean hit. No supplemental anything.

NJ and Zubrus said clean hit, Zubrus was not injured, G had no history or reputation, etc. It is very similar, except Zubrus was just fine and somehow the refs call an obscure penalty that they never call. 2 min and the next game in the press box. Sounds fair, what was I thinking.

I understand players said it was clean. But the contact to the head is clear and him throwing himself upwards into his jaw is clear too. No there was no intention. But yes it was reckless. I agree though the consistency is what burns you. Hell it burned me repeatedly all season. and I know it favored some of my players we well!