Anisimov overcelebrates...Downie retaliates

Guest flyercanuck

Last night Artem Anisimov scored a tap in goal and reacted like he'd just gone top shelf with a laser (maybe he's been watching too many run-of-the-mill-play NFL celebrations?) Vincent LeCavalier decides to let him know what a douche he's being, then Steve Downie does a...well, Steve Downie.

@xganarchy

I'm a big proponent of the "act like you've been there" way of going about things in the NHL. Sure, you score the gamewinner that wins the playoff series, go apeshit! But when it's an everyday goal, it should be celebrated as a team, not all about you. Skate by the bench and tap gloves, we're in this together. Not "HEY EVERYBODY, LOOK AT ME, AM I FRIGGIN' GREAT OR WHAT?"

@xganarchy

I'm a big proponent of the "act like you've been there" way of going about things in the NHL. Sure, you score the gamewinner that wins the playoff series, go apeshit! But when it's an everyday goal, it should be celebrated as a team, not all about you. Skate by the bench and tap gloves, we're in this together. Not "HEY EVERYBODY, LOOK AT ME, AM I FRIGGIN' GREAT OR WHAT?"

Yeah, i agree, he definitely deserved a beat down. I was ticked off by Ovechkin's act too, but some fans/broadcasters ate it up. Disrespectful to say the least!

Gotta admit...I love the irony here sometimes. People (not you!) were calling for Ryan Miller to be suspended for losing it when Tootoo ran him yet Anisimov DESERVES a beating for a tasteless celebration. It's OK to take out the guy acting like a tool but not OK for the guy returning from a concussion due to a cheap shot to go ape on a guy who took an even worse cheap shot on him in his first game back.

Gotta admit...I love the irony here sometimes. People (not you!) were calling for Ryan Miller to be suspended for losing it when Tootoo ran him yet Anisimov DESERVES a beating for a tasteless celebration. It's OK to take out the guy acting like a tool but not OK for the guy returning from a concussion due to a cheap shot to go ape on a guy who took an even worse cheap shot on him in his first game back.

If it makes you feel better, I am shocked Downie didn't sit a single game. That should have been a guaranteed day off.

Miller constantly whines and cries - and tons of goalies get run and landed on all the time. Unless you want to give a free pass to all goalies, which I don't want to regarding beating guys into the ice literally, you have to be against Miller's actions.

Anisimov acted in a totally classless and dishonorable manner. He disgraced the entire game with those NFL antics.

If this doesn't make sense, let me know, and I can try to clear up my point of view some more.

<< Miller constantly whines and cries - and tons of goalies get run and landed on all the time. Unless you want to give a free pass to all goalies, which I don't want to regarding beating guys into the ice literally, you have to be against Miller's actions.

Anisimov acted in a totally classless and dishonorable manner. He disgraced the entire game with those NFL antics. >>

I don't care how much Miller whines. He had a legit beef here. Just because goalies get run all the time doesn't make it OK. It was Miller's first game back from a concussion that was the result on the exact same thing. There is running the goalie to try and get under his skin and then there is what Tootoo did. Way way WAY over the top. Don't think for a second that Tootoo didn't know the deal with Miller. It's the goalies job to stop the puck....that is what they are focused on. Not some POS who's sole intent is to take them out.

No offence intended B21, but calling someone out when you cheer for a team that ices Matt Cooke on it's roster is kind of ironic, no? (and yes, we've all seen how well he's behaved...doesn't take away from what he's done)

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say a lot of the hate for Miller comes from last years playoffs where he was running his mouth and acting like an D!ck, and then there's the whole Buffalo Rick experience on the other board. Heck, that'd turn me if I was a sabre fan.

Edited by flyercanuck

<< No offence intended B21, but calling someone out when you cheer for a team that ices Matt Cooke on it's roster is kind of ironic, no? (and yes, we've all seen how well he's behaved...doesn't take away from what he's done)

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say a lot of the hate for Miller comes from last years playoffs where he was running his mouth and acting like an D!ck, and then there's the whole Buffalo Rick experience on the other board. Heck, that'd turn me if I was a sabre fan. >>

Fair but I could say the same about Flyers fans and Chris Pronger. I know...he's mellowed in his old age. But there was wasn't a peep about his history when he was brought to Philly. Just the opposite exactly ("Born to be a Flyer!")...and we are talking about 8 suspensions in his career. On the ice, Cooke and Pronger have equally bad histories i/m/h/o. I can buy an argument either way of one being worse than the other but that's splitting hairs. Cooke has at least been a good locker room guy whereas Pronger has worn out his welcome at just about every stop along the way. If Cooke is a "disgrace" then so is Pronger (I don't think either are but you can't say that about one and not the other). The only difference that that Pronger has been "cleaner" longer.

So I have to (respectfully) disagree that just because I root for a team with Matt Cooke does not mean I can't call Tootoo a POS. If that's the going train of thought here I should never have to hear it from fans of a team that have employed the likes of a Chris Pronger.

@B21

Cooke has at least been a good locker room guy whereas Pronger has worn out his welcome at just about every stop along the way.

I don't recall anyone here saying Pronger is not a good locker room guy. Nor has he worn out his welcome in Philly. As for Cooke, he's changed his play this season, and has become a much more valuable player this season. good for him.

@ HF101

<< I don't recall anyone here saying Pronger is not a good locker room guy. Nor has he worn out his welcome in Philly. As for Cooke, he's changed his play this season, and has become a much more valuable player this season. good for him. >>

Missing my point. It's not about who here said he is/isn't a good locker room guy. It is about the fact that he has work out his welcome "just about everywhere" he's been. Not Philly...yet. But this was going to be his last stop anyway. The other point I was making is that you have two guys who have had their share of on ice incidents yet Pronger would also appear so have some off ice (i.e. - locker room) issues as well.

@ HF101

<< I don't recall anyone here saying Pronger is not a good locker room guy. Nor has he worn out his welcome in Philly. As for Cooke, he's changed his play this season, and has become a much more valuable player this season. good for him. >>

Missing my point. It's not about who here said he is/isn't a good locker room guy. It is about the fact that he has work out his welcome "just about everywhere" he's been. Not Philly...yet. But this was going to be his last stop anyway. The other point I was making is that you have two guys who have had their share of on ice incidents yet Pronger would also appear so have some off ice (i.e. - locker room) issues as well.

A future Hall of Fame defenseman gets a bit more leeway (sp?) than a career punk, right?

<< A future Hall of Fame defenseman gets a bit more leeway (sp?) than a career punk, right? >>

Haven't you been one of the biggest anti-"stars should not get preferential treatment" guys? Now Pronger gets a "pass" because he's a future HOFer?

As far as on ice incidents, Pronger = Cooke. One being a better player than the other means nothing.

So what are these off ice issues you are speaking of? You make it sound as if the reasons why he was traded several times had more to do with some lockerroom issues than the fact that the aquiring teams made an offer that couldn't be turned down.

The Oilers don't advance to the Cup Finals without Chris Pronger on the roster. The 2009-10 Philadelphia Flyers don't get to the Finals sans Pronger, either, and that annoying one game suspension in the 2007 playoffs aside, the Ducks don't win the Cup in 2007 without Pronger.

Malkin is a talented dirtbag extraordinaire as well. Classy going after Giroux's head with the elbow, and don't forget the magically rescinded suspension...we don't want to suspend Pens in the playoffs...

There is much more, but I've made my point.

<< So what are these off ice issues you are speaking of? You make it sound as if the reasons why he was traded several times had more to do with some lockerroom issues than the fact that the aquiring teams made an offer that couldn't be turned down. >>

I don't know of any. I just find it a bit odd that a guy who is such a "winner" has been traded four times in his career (St. Louis was a salary dump). That tells me something. Even several of your fellow Flyers fans had speculated about the exact same thing in the old forum so this is nothing new. You'd be hard pressed to find a player of Pronger's caliber who has been traded that many times.

I don't know of any. I just find it a bit odd that a guy who is such a "winner" has been traded four times in his career (St. Louis was a salary dump). That tells me something. Even several of your fellow Flyers fans had speculated about the exact same thing in the old forum so this is nothing new. You'd be hard pressed to find a player of Pronger's caliber who has been traded that many times.

For the most part every player has a price tag that if another GM was willing to over pay for, most GM's will take that deal and better their team.

I doubt the Ducks were looking to trade Pronger........but Holmgren posed them a deal they couldn't refuse.

<< So what are these off ice issues you are speaking of? You make it sound as if the reasons why he was traded several times had more to do with some lockerroom issues than the fact that the aquiring teams made an offer that couldn't be turned down. >>

Gretzky? Messier? Coffey? Jagr? Horton?

<< Gretzky? Messier? Coffey? Jagr? Horton? >>

Gretzky signed with the Rangers turning down more money from the Blues. The trade from the Oilers to the Kings was a money issue.

Messier's trade from the Oilers to the Rangers was also due to salary issues. He signed with Vancouver and resigned with New York. Pretty much out there that he's a great leader and locker room guy, no?

Jagr is a well know head case. Trade twice and the return was a lot less that what he was worth. Kinda proves my point.

Horton????