Not bad for a "rebuilding" year, I guess...

Guest TedZep

A decent goaltender still eludes the Flyers, but the youngsters got some decent playing experience.

The defense was more than decimated, and unfortunately Kubina was not the answer. Pronger's not coming back, Timonen is getting older and showing it, so it looks like they need to reload the defense, while being somewhat handcuffed by Pronger.

Ah well...

I am still not convinced it was meant to be a "rebuilding" year. The team has made some bold moves, no doubt. But I don't know if it can be trully looked at as a rebuidling year with Jagr, Bryzgalov, Talbot plus those veterans that were already here.

But all in all, the year went almost exactly as many of us predicted: a playoff team who woudl go as far the gaoltender would take us. The second part is painfully obvious.

Kimmo's contract is up after next year. Pronger will be on the LTIR shelf for the rest of his contract, which only restricts us somewhat. I can't see them bringing Carle back, though it's not out of the realm of mistaken possibility.

Coburn, Grossmann, Mez, Gus, will be our future top 4. Not horrible but definitely lacking. MAB played well and I can see him sticking for the 6-7 role next year. Even though Kimmo rounds out the defensive corps (and Lilja in there for one more modestly priced, but still overpaid season) I can't see them going after a big name until Kimmo's done.

Unfortunately there is no one to be had in 2013 free agency like Suter this year. (Bogosian and Gunnarson are RFAs, but they will both be locked up or otherwise untouchable).

I could still see a JVR for big d-man on the horizon, but I'd hesitate to do that. We made a commitment to that kid, he's still just 23, hampered by injuries all year and in these playoffs too. I still think he could be great.

Got to lock up Voracek and yes, Bryz is staying, no buyouts in his future.

Great year for rebuilding...horrible depressing end to a season that looked much closer to a team aimed at the cup run than just a young one rebuilding.

Edited by hexie27
  • Like 1

i wouldnt call it a rebuilding year either, unless you call the devils year a rebuilding year. other teams young players will get better too, they will bring in good new players as well. every playoff opportunity is a year you can win the cup. the rags, pens, devils, bruins arent going anywhere and other teams will step up.

i thought we had a better team than the devils from top to bottom, this one hurts bad like every other year. i dont take solace in the so-called rebuilding.

I did not expect this team to compete for a SC. Heck after the moves last summer I didn't even know if they would make the post season. I am happy with what this young team did this year and I did expect this to be a rebuilding year. I think this team is only going to get better. We have a young core now and they just had valuable post season experience. The only gloom I see lurking on this team for years to come is in our crease.

@Mad Dog

As bad as Bryz was at times in the playoffs I don't know that we can just blame goaltending to why the season has ended. The Flyers got handled by the Devils. Bryz wasn't spectacular by any stretch but given how much we had to defend I don't know that it is really fair to say that we went as far as goaltending would take us. Losing in 5 games to that team showed there are more issues besides goaltending.