Kimmo Timonen time to retire

Guest phlfly

I think it's Kimmo Timonen's time to retire.

I had noticed fro last couple years (last three years at least) he doesn't have enough energy during playoff anymore. It was last time he played well when Flyers won against Caps.

If Flyers be able to force retire, then they can go after Sutter. Flyers need a good quater back on blue line, but one will have enough energy for playoff.

You can see his age shows a lot during playoff. That soft pass to Bryzalov, even everyone is blamed him (Bryz) for this, but I don't think so, used be Timmo would never do that, he would skate with the puck behind the net, it's Fatigue you can see clearly.

• Like 1

The guy's in line for another 3 million dollars next year. I think he'll play out his contract and be done after that. It would absolutely be nice to have that 6+ million in cap space for this off-season, but it's not going to happen.

• Like 1

Fatigue is fatigue, he's still one of the best defensemen in the league. He finished 14th among defensemen in scoring with 34 assists and was a shut down guy all year, playing some of his best hockey at age 37. It would be a travesty for him to retire. I think with the depth that the flyers went out and got this year with Kubina and Grossman is perfect for Kimmo who may be showing his age but is well known for playing through injury due to his importance to this team. He may have been unfortunately gassed and injury ridden this post season but the flyers would be absolutely ridiculous to encourage retirement from Kimmo after all the hard work, effort and heart he has put into this team in his 5 seasons as a Flyer. Other than him being overworked and playing injured, he has shown no signs of his age. Also, the pass back to the goalie is something I've seen him do countless times as a Flyer. Bryz was at fault for that, not Kimmo. Bryz played great that game as well and it's too bad that one stupid mistake cost him and the flyers the series but thats the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

There were "article" today in MTV 3 ( finnish TV) that Timonen played hurt, he hurt his knee on 5th game against Pens. Also said he has one year left with Flyers but he wishes to play 2 - 3 years still...( if he can and stays healthy )

If he is healthy he is still good D, puck moving and on PP, but we need one or two ( Pronger / Crosmann ) type of physical D to clear our own end.

I think Coburn played well, Kubina and Carle are waste of money....

There were "article" today in MTV 3 ( finnish TV) that Timonen played hurt, he hurt his knee on 5th game against Pens. Also said he has one year left with Flyers but he wishes to play 2 - 3 years still...( if he can and stays healthy )

If he is healthy he is still good D, puck moving and on PP, but we need one or two ( Pronger / Crosmann ) type of physical D to clear our own end.

I think Coburn played well, Kubina and Carle are waste of money....

Philly obtained Pronger in part to allow Kimmo to be more effective a series like this. Kimmo played way to many minutes this season and it showed. Kubina was hurt the whole time he was here and I don't think we saw what he is still capable of though even so I doubt he will be resigned. Carle's play I think guarantees he won't be back. He was exposed. For the kind of money he wants, he has to be a difference maker and he was not, or at least not in a positive sense. If his demands are reduced, fine, but otherwise it is goodbye.

• Like 1

@phfly

i think if timmonen's minutes are managed to where he's 3rd pairing he can be really effective. in spite of his injuries, he was still pretty decent, i know brain cramp passing to bryzgalov, but that guy can cover the puck or pass to carle... i would like to see 44 retire a flyer if possible, i think the team can throw money at a difference maker & mobile top 4 guy. so the top 4 would be grossmann, coburn ( who was a monster in the PO's this year ) mezaros, and free agent x, then third paring of timmonen and gus or MAB keeps timmonen fresh and effective, he can still be around to play point on the pp... i don't think timo is done yet.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2

We need to acquire 2 more defensemen, JVR can be the bait to acquire a young dman, like Schenn or Bogosian, 2 guys who like JVR, have promise but have not arrived yet or some other good young dman.. We also need a young big minutes #1 guy to replace Pronger.The only way we can get Suter, is by clearing cap space. Hopefully in the new CBA, we can buyout Bryz, and then put Pronger on LTIR. Carle is probably gone. So we are left with Coburn, Mezz, Grossman and Timmo. We need 2 more guys, and then Gus and Bourdon can battle for the 7th spot. We need 6 solid dmen who can take away minutes from Timmo, the guy is beaten down.

@phfly

i think if timmonen's minutes are managed to where he's 3rd pairing he can be really effective. in spite of his injuries, he was still pretty decent, i know brain cramp passing to bryzgalov, but that guy can cover the puck or pass to carle... i would like to see 44 retire a flyer if possible, i think the team can throw money at a difference maker & mobile top 4 guy. so the top 4 would be grossmann, coburn ( who was a monster in the PO's this year ) mezaros, and free agent x, then third paring of timmonen and gus or MAB keeps timmonen fresh and effective, he can still be around to play point on the pp... i don't think timo is done yet.

Yes 3rd pair at most. That's a problem, most defense guys are not playing thier real role. Flyers don't have a real number one pair. It's all gone back 2-3 years ago, when Timmo was younger and Pronger had played for Flyers and was healthy. So I think if Flyers drop him and go to get Sutter, that could be a real Number one defense guy. Because you can find 3rd pair defensman easy.

The guy's in line for another 3 million dollars next year. I think he'll play out his contract and be done after that. It would absolutely be nice to have that 6+ million in cap space for this off-season, but it's not going to happen.

He's actually in line for anothe $6.3 million next year. Between him, Carle, Lappy, Betts, and Jagr potentially dropping off the roster, there is suddenly a lot of money available.

I think it's Kimmo Timonen's time to retire.

I had noticed fro last couple years (last three years at least) he doesn't have enough energy during playoff anymore. It was last time he played well when Flyers won against Caps.

If Flyers be able to force retire, then they can go after Sutter. Flyers need a good quater back on blue line, but one will have enough energy for playoff.

You can see his age shows a lot during playoff. That soft pass to Bryzalov, even everyone is blamed him (Bryz) for this, but I don't think so, used be Timmo would never do that, he would skate with the puck behind the net, it's Fatigue you can see clearly.

I agree Kimmo is no longer a top 4 dman...and everyone saying he was hurt, Kimmo is always hurt..time to let him go..

He's actually in line for anothe $6.3 million next year. Between him, Carle, Lappy, Betts, and Jagr potentially dropping off the roster, there is suddenly a lot of money available.

his cap hit is 6.3, but his salary is only 3mil due to his front-loaded contract. Carle will probably be gone, but he had good value for a 3.5mil cap hit. Also I would give it more than a 50/50 shot Jagr comes back for one more season with the kids.

his cap hit is 6.3, but his salary is only 3mil due to his front-loaded contract. Carle will probably be gone, but he had good value for a 3.5mil cap hit. Also I would give it more than a 50/50 shot Jagr comes back for one more season with the kids.

The important number is the $6.3 mil, because that's the cap hit. If he retires, that frees up a lot of dough-re-me.

@phfly

Sorry can just put that ALL on Kimmo...why the EFF didn't Bryz just smother the EFFIN PUCK (i'm not angry at you just how it all unfolded)!!

That is all Bryz has to do.

Alot of it when someone like Bryz watches the tape of Marty and what he can do with the puck...

...somewhere in the goalies mind something CLICKS and makes Byrz think he can just do the same thing...

...forgetting Marty has been doing iit for over 20 years and you just can learn to do it in one series...

...it takes practice and vision of which Bryz does not have...he fumbled the puck so many times...

Sorry can just put that ALL on Kimmo...why the EFF didn't Bryz just smother the EFFIN PUCK (i'm not angry at you just how it all unfolded)!!

That is all Bryz has to do.

no problem, I was yelling at my TV when that happened, and not at 44 so I agree.

Usually Timmonen skates that puck outta danger though, i think he was thinking bryz would freeze it or pass it to the open defenseman on the right, i think it was carle, maybe coburn... i remember a "5" any way,

my thinking with calling that a brain cramp was a non fatigued and beat up 44 does not make that play.

Usually Timmonen skates that puck outta danger though, i think he was thinking bryz would freeze it or pass it to the open defenseman on the right, i think it was carle, maybe coburn..

It was Coburn. The real question is why Kimmo doesn't send it across to Coburn, D-to-D? Christ, they practically had that play perfected during the series.

It was Coburn. The real question is why Kimmo doesn't send it across to Coburn, D-to-D? Christ, they practically had that play perfected during the series.

as i remember it clarkson was coming pretty hard and would likely have broken that pass up or worse.... well i guess it couldn't be worse than what happened. clarkson was very good on the forecheck in the series, he had good jump and took great angles on passes and skaters.

no problem, I was yelling at my TV when that happened, and not at 44 so I agree.

Usually Timmonen skates that puck outta danger though, i think he was thinking bryz would freeze it or pass it to the open defenseman on the right, i think it was carle, maybe coburn... i remember a "5" any way,

my thinking with calling that a brain cramp was a non fatigued and beat up 44 does not make that play.

Yeah. Bryz, the way he makes me feel i find hard to put in words. Makes you think the Yotes players were right.

They remove him and go to the WCFs...Bryz is 5-10 in the playoffs the last 2 years...some of the worst #s i've seen since i've been watching since 1990.

No way that can inspire confidence...yet we are stuck with him for a decade!!!

OT: Dude i just LOVED the lick Rinaldo dropped on Volchenov...too little to late.

Never in my life have i seen anything like this past season with the Flyers having bad luck scoring first!!!

1-6 when scoring first and 4-0 when not! AMAZING!!!!!!!!1

Maybe because they were both whipped and there was a Devil player, maybe Clarkson, putting some pressure on Timonen and who had already made that pass less than safe. Timonen had his back to the play and the safest play is the one you see with your own two eyes. I have no problem with Timonen making that play to Bryz. Bryz, not Timo, screwed up.

@OccamsRazor

i just wish rinaldo didn't have such a big target on his back from the league. he needs to go to reform school like matt cooke i reckon. 36 has good speed and better than carcillo hands, if he could avoid the hit that sets the refs off he'd be a great 3rd / 4th line player, as it is the second he steps on the ice the refs are looking to blow the whistle. i didn't care for the shot to zubris, i don't think he was targeting his knee, but it looked bad . sometimes when you're juked you just need to keep skating and find something else to hit.

This is from the Broad Street Bull...Then my plan is below.

"Now that their season is over, where do the Flyers go from here?

Well, one of the first things on general manager Paul Holmgren’s agenda is trying to resign defenseman Matt Carle ($3.4 million cap hit this year) and right winger Jaromir Jagr ($3.3 million), a pair of potential unrestricted free agents. The Flyers would like to sign both players, a source said

The Flyers have $61.2 million committed to next year. If Chris Pronger is on the long-term injured reserve list again next season, the Flyers will get $4.9 million of cap relief.

That would mean they would have about $56.2 million committed to 2012-13 salaries. The current cap is $64.3 million, but it is expected to rise to around $69 million.

So the Flyers would have about $13 million of cap room, and that number will drop when they sign restricted free agents Jakub Voracek and Marc-Andre Bourdon.

They could free more room by dealing winger James van Riemsdyk ($4.25 million), and, remember, Nashville defenseman Ryan Suter, a potential UFA who figures to get a big raise from his $3.5 million salary, is on the Flyers’ radar.

The 40-year-old Jagr, who scored just one goal in 11 playoff games _ none against the Devils _ said he didn’t know what would happen in the off-season."

OK, so I hope the numbers are correct. If they are we have allot of money to work with. 13 Million minus MAB and Voracek's resisgnings... Lets say we have 8.5 million left (because they will get modest raises). Then we trade JVR and a pick for Schenn and we still have enough for Suter. Then we will have to many D-men, so we drop Carle and Kubina which is another 7 Million! More than enough to get a major play making winger to replace JVR and play with Giroux....

How's that for a plan?

@idahophilly

no way i resign Carle and Jagr they need to get as far away from as many people on this past roster, that come playoff time just don't bring much if any thing at all.

Jagr 1 goal in 11 games..WOW...FUMBLED THE PUCK LEFT AND RIGHT THOUGH OUT THE PLAYOFFS!!!

Hard to believe at 41 he'll get better...he'll get worse. Just would prefer to move on.

JVR also buh bye!

Edit: Also i'd repeat what they did last year and start with Schenn in the A, to drop his salary from 3.1mill to 1.75 or whatever it was, no way you can afford to pay him 3.1 mill HELL NO! Not yet.

Edited by OccamsRazor

Quote from Bryz courtesy of Silly.com...

"Marty passed the puck from behind the net," Bryzgalov said. "It was pretty much the same situation. We hit the post or it would have been a different game."

I will give him this...he was right..it was pretty much the same situation...they were hoping he would show up and earn part of his 51 million and once again they have to try and over come his ABILITY TO KILL ANY MOMENTUM THEY'VE GAINED with him not being able to stop a ******* BEACHBALL!!!!