What are the offseason moves?

Guest activestick

Bryz aside, which is obvious and not sure whether anything can be done about that. What are the holes that need to be filled?

In my opinion, a stud D'man and a true power forward to play with Giroux. Nash and Giroux would be devestating, but the asking price for Nash will be high and his cap hit is very high.

Let Jagr walk. Served his purpose. That money can be spent better elsewhere.

Trade the rights to Carle and Kubina.

Likely trade JVR/package for one of the above.

Bryz probably isn't going anywhere. That contract is hard to move and I highly doubt they are willing to eat that contract after one year. To me Bryz is a product of a good defensive system so they are going to have to address that area.

I can see the D getting improved through a trade that will involve JvR and probably the rights to Carle. I am not too sure and I hope it is not Suter. To me Suter is a product of Weber. If they are to go big on a move it should be to get Weber.

Nash will never happen, we can't afford him and Columbus is not going to throw us anymore bones. Perhaps that will also have to be addressed through a trade.

I would trade JVR in an effort to move up in the draft (get inside the top 15)

Carle is gone, get what you can for him

Otherwise, we need to get bigger (as long as its not slower).

Oh yeah, we need a goalie

According to capgeek:

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=24

Forwards

SIGNED - Briere, Hartnell, Giroux, Schenn, Talbot, Simmonds, JVR, Couturier, Shelley, Read, Wellwood, Rinaldo

RFA - Voracek, Harry Z, Sestito

UFA - Jagr, Lappy, Betts

Defense

SIGNED - Timonen, Pronger, Meszaros, Coburn, Grossmann, Lilja

UFA - Carle, Kubina

RFA - Bourdon

Goalie

SIGNED - Bryz, Bob

Total: $61.218

Est cap (from capgeek): $64.3M

Space: $3M

MY MOVES

1) drop Shelley ($1.1M)

2) tender Voracek ($2.25M) pending negotiation

3) tender Z ($990K), Sestito ($605K)

Leaves you with about $500K plus the 10% off-season exemption. Assume Pronger $4.9M will come back in LTIR. 14 Fs, 5D(w/o Pronger), 2G signed. $5.4M or so cap room (using the 10% offseason overage, but figuring on just replacing Pronger's salary). Figure Z or Sestito come off for extra room as well.

IMO, Carle will want too much for too long, but I might offer him Coburn money unless a better D option is available as UFA or trade.

A long term deal with Voracek might eat up too much cap space for that, though.

They could tender RFA Bourdon (around $900K) and Gustaffsson at $900K seemed serviceable and is signed. There's also that Matt Walker guy - the value from the Gagne trade...

Overall, I think the team is in pretty good shape and with the experience of this year under their belt and the way goaltending and D came together down the stretch was encouraging despite the results of the second round.

• Like 1

@radoran

I agree offer carle coburn money, and then let him seek a payday elsewhere. kubina was a good rental idea that didn't work out, so i low ball offer him and let him go elsewhere.

i think i give JvR another year to see what happens unless a gem of a d-prospect along the lines of a john carrlson from washington is offered.

i think i try to sign a guy like Jackman from St Louis, he's a rugged sort moves decently, i'm not up on the cap geek but thought i saw he was a UFA this year. whomever comes in to the defense corps had better be able to skate , really fing well, 'cause that 's what the go-go demands.

i don't know that a huge blockbuster signing or trade is required, i like the make up of this team.

Bryz probably isn't going anywhere. That contract is hard to move and I highly doubt they are willing to eat that contract after one year. To me Bryz is a product of a good defensive system so they are going to have to address that area.

I can see the D getting improved through a trade that will involve JvR and probably the rights to Carle. I am not too sure and I hope it is not Suter. To me Suter is a product of Weber. If they are to go big on a move it should be to get Weber.

Nash will never happen, we can't afford him and Columbus is not going to throw us anymore bones. Perhaps that will also have to be addressed through a trade.

I agree with you regarding Suter. Not so sure he would be worth the big dollars. I would love to get Weber. But he's only a RFA. I don't think Nashville would trade him or let him walk for picks in a million years.

I just have this vision of Nash on Giroux's line. They would rule. But, they would have to shed major salary for that. Also, how does that salary structure affect the locker room?

I agree with you regarding Suter. Not so sure he would be worth the big dollars. I would love to get Weber. But he's only a RFA. I don't think Nashville would trade him or let him walk for picks in a million years.

I just have this vision of Nash on Giroux's line. They would rule. But, they would have to shed major salary for that. Also, how does that salary structure affect the locker room?

There are some interesting things here.

1) I don't believe there is a way in H E double hockey sticks that Columbus lets Nash go to the Flyers. Not after the L'Affaire Crater

2) Nashville has 11 guys signed for next season. Say they decide to double down on Suter long term for $6M per or something (using cap shenanigans) and then deal Weber's rights for, say, JVR, Voracek, Bourdon and picks.

Nashville gets a signed player plus two RFAs they have room to sign. Philadelphia creates the cap space to sign Weber.

Now the Flyers have

X-Giroux-Hartnell

Simmonds-Briere-Schenn

Read-Couturier-Talbot

Sestito-Wellwood-Rinaldo

Weber Meszaros

Grossmann Coburn

Timonen Gustaffsssonnnn

(Lilja)

In this scenario I might take a solid FA run at a Paul Gaustad type for $3M or so to center the third line and allow some more offense up top.

But, if you're Nashville, is that what you want for Weber if you can tender him as an RFA for next season?

@activestick

I looked at Capgeek and we are pretty tight against the cap next year. Nash would be a great addition, but would be a long shot without sending players the other way.

I agree on Weber, I wasn't aware of the four 1st rounders he would cost us. Oh well, one can dream. Maybe they'll actually draft and develop a decent blueliner this year.

Bryz aside, which is obvious and not sure whether anything can be done about that. What are the holes that need to be filled?

In my opinion, a stud D'man and a true power forward to play with Giroux. Nash and Giroux would be devestating, but the asking price for Nash will be high and his cap hit is very high.

Snider will start another marketing campaign tell everyone this is the year...every sucker fall for it sells out tickets for the year..Flyers get bounced from playoffs again for the 38th year in a row...repeat itself..

Scott Hartnell is a true power forward and I look forward to seeing him next to G again next year. I suspect Jagr has completed his first and last season as a Flyer. He was inspirational and a great role model, but he was ineffective for long stretches, especially against NJ.

One of the things that is being somewhat overlooked for the moment is the pending CBA expiration, which could have a significant impact on what the team does or doesn't do in the off season (not to mention the possibility of a lock out, but that's another topic). As I've been saying for a while, I think if the Flyers get a shot at buying out Briere in conjunction with the new CBA, they have to do it. He's been a terrific playoff performer but he remains a defensive liability and takes valuable minutes away from guys who should be taking a more prominent role at center ice (Schenn and Couturier). With regard to JvR, his lack of production, his salary, and the team's need for a #1 defenseman may require him to spend this off season on the bubble. They don't have to move him but I could easily see it happening if Briere is still around for training camp. Taking Briere out of the equation and moving Schenn into the middle makes it more likely JvR stays put.

I'm nearly certain Kubina is gone. Carle's stock took a hit in the post season and ironically, it could increase the chances that he remains with the team. I think that's fine depending on what they pay him and on other changes they make to the defense during the off season. If he leaves, they have a significant void to fill: a puck mover and second pp defenseman who plays 20 plus minutes per night. Coburn and Grossman are solid as a second, shut down pair. Coburn was perhaps the most consistent player on the entire team in the post season. Grossmann was never the same after Vitale's knee on knee hit and it was obvious that he was playing with a debilitating injury. He should be good as new by fall. IMO Mezsaros is fine for second or third pair duty as well. I liked what I saw from Bourdon and expect him to be either the 6th or 7th defenseman next year, assuming he's fully recovered. Lilja and Gustafson were exposed by the Devils series and I would not be surprised if both were gone this summer. Lilja is just too slow afoot and makes poor decisions on coverages and with the puck. I've always seen Gustafson as a defensive liability and his offensive skill reminds me more of Danny Syvret than Mike Green. Maybe the Devils just made everyone look bad but I don't see Gustafson becoming a productive NHL player soon, if ever. Seems pretty clear at this point that Pronger is done, so the Flyers need to find a #1 defenseman in the off season. Part of the urgency in finding that player is getting Kimmo Timonen's minutes down to 20 minutes or so per night. He was a shell of his former self by the end of the Devils series and he just can't go through another season of 25 plus minutes per night.

And in goal? Steady as she goes. We're set for another 8 years, not that I'm happy about it. Bryzgalov is more responsible than any other player on the team for the team's early exit from the playoffs. He was an abject failure at what he was brought in to do (stabilize the goaltending situation) and played inconsistently and at best several notches below merely competent during the post season. I would love to see him bought out but doubt it will happen. Bob should remain the back up. I expect additional progress from him next season, maybe even to the point of providing a viable alternative to Bryzgalov by next spring.

Edited by terp

What I would like to see is the Flyer maybe make an assistant coaching change. Like to see a real x's & o's type of guy in there along side Lavy. As far as player moves go, I really would not do anything. We have a alot of young players, most of them being rookies. The young guys, hell the whole team far exceeded my expectations. Lets let them develop and grow together.

Everyone is screaming for JVR to be traded but he was hurt all this year. Like to see what he does next year healthy God Willing. Hes my favorite players, I think the kid can be a froce. Bryz is another story, that contract were stuck with, at least it goes from 10mil to little over 6mil now I believe. I would like us to take a shot at Elliot from the Blues, do not know how we would do that but...

I would like us to go get a legit shot from the point, Mesz has a good shot, but we really missed Prongers missle from the point.

The only players I say let walk or trade would be Carle and Kubina. I think Gusts had a good playoffs and would consider him taking Carles spot and getting another dman to fill the void leaving Bourdon as the 7th dman.

I am really impressed with the way the team played this year, we have a great future with this team and it should only get better as they get more years under there belt together. Giroux has shown me that not only is he the best player in hockey, but a true captain and a true Flyer. Great year guys, lets enjoy the offseason, can not wait until draft!

I would really love to see Nash in Philly, but I think it wont happen. BUT I think the main issue is to get real no1 guy in D and maybe no 2 also

I really liked the kids Flyers have, some really, really good rookies and great future ahead. I think Nash and G would be uneal..problem with Jagr were his age, he is slow and in playoffs he was just too worn out...bad passes, turnovers...you name it. JVR + Carle+Jagr = Nash. I think they could do it.

Giroux, Danny B, Couts, Simmonds, Schenn, Read, Wellwood,Bourdon, HarryZ, Crosmann,Coburn, Hartsy and Rinaldo should all stay...with Mr. Universe.

If Nash was that outstanding wouldn't he have done something in Colombus? The same logic applies with Suter and Webber neither one is worth the farm. Think Bobby Orr when you think star defense men. The Flyers have(when healthy) the best in the league in Pronger. Grossmann type players are fine for the Flyers,maybe Homer can acquire a couple more like him. Best bang for the buck!

Bryzgalov is more responsible than any other player on the team for the team's early exit from the playoffs.

No offense, ( i love that line in taledega nights) but kimmo, carle, simmonds, talbot, and jagrs non apearence in the second round was way more of an obvious let down then bryzs blunders with the puck

He was an abject failure at what he was brought in to do (stabilize the goaltending situation) and played inconsistently and at best several notches below merely competent during the post season.

this i agree with 100%

now for 2012-13

d men

bodourn gustafson coburn kimmo mezaros lilja and grossman (would love to make space for suter or weber)

forwards

hartnell giroux vorecheck

simmonds shenn breire

coutier read talbot

wellwood rinaldo sestito

i would love one more legit scoring winger and move jvr

my thoughts not facts

The Flyers will not improve by having a professional question mark for a goalie! His pathetic performance inhibits and undermines the whole team. What team ever won the cup with a complete idiot in goal? Homer needs to get on the stick with his replacement.

The Flyers will not improve by having a professional question mark for a goalie! His pathetic performance inhibits and undermines the whole team. What team ever won the cup with a complete idiot in goal? Homer needs to get on the stick with his replacement.

Get used to disappointment.

Bryzgalov will be the Flyers goalie next season.

They need to add a star defenceman, somehow. I would also lose Jagr and Carle and add another veteran winger to play on the first line, or promote Couturier to the first line. Other than that, they are in a fairly decent shape. The net position is still weak, but that isn't going to change.

Unless Homer can move Bryz for Nash, solving problems all around, forget it.

Hartnell G Voracek

JVR Schenn Couturier

Read Briere Simmonds

Wellwood Talbot Rinaldo

Roll four lines so no one gets pissy about ice time. If Jagr returns, slide him in over V, V for Couts, Couts for Wellwood. After reading that, I'd almost want to move Briere too.

What about saving the cap space for a deadline opportunity, barring Weber's availability?

If they are really set to re-sign Carle to a cap-friendly contract (as has been rumored), I say keep him.

I would trade JvR for Luke Schenn & a 1st so fast your head would spin.

And I would still make every effort to obtain Bernier from LA. Even if we stick with Bryz for a while Bernier could be our goalie of the future and would be a much better option than Bob if something happened to Bryz.

Would at least explore the options with Suter.

Laviolette better either find a way around defensive systems, or how to inject some into his run and gun. Cause he got totally outcoached against the Devils, and all five teams left this year are D-first teams. I think part of that series was a letdown from the Pens, part was having a total headcase in net, and part was having no reply to the Devils system.

Laviolette better either find a way around defensive systems, or how to inject some into his run and gun. Cause he got totally outcoached against the Devils, and all five teams left this year are D-first teams. I think part of that series was a letdown from the Pens, part was having a total headcase in net, and part was having no reply to the Devils system.

Pronger and Mesz were hurt. I wonder how differently the team and D play with them?

Pronger and Mesz were hurt. I wonder how differently the team and D play with them?

Very differently, I am sure. The Flyers had no answer to the Devil's cycling and pressuring. But I have a hunch we would still end up losing that series. It may've taken 7 games instead of 5, but at the end, the Flyers just looked like a team in a different league.