Philadelphia Flyers Already Have Ryan Suter In Matt Carle

Guest Irishjim

Well, the flipside of that deal is Nicklas Kronwall's new deal- $4.75 million per for 7 years. Term is on the long side, but I I think Carle is worth that money (I think Kronwall is probably worth more).

The Kronwall deal is a "retire a Wing" deal - Kronwall is 31. It's $5.6M for the first five years and just $2.625M on the last two. It's not an over-35 and has an NTC, not a NMC so either side can comfortably walk away if necessary.

Carle is 27. A seven-yeat deal means he's up right as he's a potential over-35 candidate. I'm thinking he's looking for $5M+ in a 4-5 year term.

The Kronwall deal is a "retire a Wing" deal - Kronwall is 31. It's $5.6M for the first five years and just $2.625M on the last two. It's not an over-35 and has an NTC, not a NMC so either side can comfortably walk away if necessary.

Carle is 27. A seven-yeat deal means he's up right as he's a potential over-35 candidate. I'm thinking he's looking for $5M+ in a 4-5 year term.

Yeah, you're probably right about Kronwall. If you're also right about Carle I think Homer has to give that serious consideration. It will be hard to replace Carle for less than $5 million a year I think.

Well, the flipside of that deal is Nicklas Kronwall's new deal- $4.75 million per for 7 years. Term is on the long side, but I I think Carle is worth that money (I think Kronwall is probably worth more).

I would look beyond the annual pay. Kronwall is 31 and they agreed to guaranty $33MM over 7 years. He'll still be collecting a big check when he's past his prime, so I think this deal looks a bit more management friendly on the surface than it really is. Carle is younger and his game is less likely to change over the course of a 5 year deal. Net net, I suspect you are right that Carle will get $4.75/year for 4 or 5, or $20-$25MM guaranteed.

I will celebrate once Carle signs somewhere else...I hated him since day 1...he costs us Downie and is a soft turnover machine..

You're upset about losing Downie???

I'd be happy if I never saw the nutjob playing in an NHL uniform ever again.

You're upset about losing Downie???

I'd be happy if I never saw the nutjob playing in an NHL uniform ever again.

Downie changed teams again after we unloaded him and as I recall the return wasn't much. Where there's smoke...