Would you bring back Jagr?

Guest hf101

Would you bring back Jagr?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Would you bring back Jagr?

"I have to say, thanks for the support from the fans. I love everyone on this team. That was probably the most enjoyable year I've ever had. I've won some cups, I've won some trophies, but I loved this year. From the organization to the last player on the team, and the fans. They were so nice to me. I hate to finish it right now. That's the worst feeling. You finish the whole story, the whole year. That's a sad day, today for me. I wanna cry right now."----Jagr

No thanks. I was 'neat' having a legend around to tutor the kids and provide a spark every once in a while, but it became very obvious as the year went on that he's got very little left in the tank. Hopefully the lessons he taught the kids will pay off for years, but I think his ship has sailed.

Maybe if his icetime was limited more during the reg. season he'd have been more effective, but that's all hindsight now.

Time to move on and give the spot to a youngster or ufa.

@fishbulb

Jagr is one of the players I'd like to bring back.....play limited minutes, and have fresh for the playoffs. He had to have been one of the reasons why this team jelled so well during the season.

Jagr is still almost impossible to knock him off the puck even at 40 years of age, and he still possesses the vision and playmaking ability that helped Giroux have a break out season. I don't think you can replace that with a cap hit of less than 3M in an ordinary FA.

• Like 1

But he looked useless when he wasn't with Giroux and Hartnell... how can his minutes be limited but keep a top-line cohesive?? He'd be in and out, up and down... I'm not saying he wasn't useful at times, but he's not going to be any younger and he's not going to be more effective next year.

If he's willing to sign for pennies, I could be swayed, but I'd rather give the ice time to younger players.

At half the price, since he only plays half the season, he has to realize he was worn down at seasons end. . it all depends what we do in the draft and or any trades that are made prior to the draft.

For the right price yes, and I'd use him. Maybe roll four lines all season to keep everyone's minutes in check.

Jagr's positive attitude, work ethic, and experience cannot be quantified. He was a treasure for the rookies, and certainly a solid locker room leader. I don't see any replacement for the intangibles he brings.

• Like 1

He looked so out of gas and done at the end of the year but I really loved him this year. If only he was a couple years younger. He was an integral part of the team. Maybe he can be a bit like Federov on the Caps a few years ago and play a smaller role on the team but still make an impact at the right times.

He looked so out of gas and done at the end of the year but I really loved him this year.

I feel the same way. He had a much better impact on this team than I ever thought possible. Up 'till the POs, I thought absolutely resign him one more year. By the NJ series, he looked really gassed and more or less useless. If we could get him at half price and limited use, as others have suggested, I say do it. At the price and role he played this season, nah. He'd come out fresh again I'm sure but we needed him in the POs and unfortunately he was a non-factor for the most part.

As others have suggested, I'd like to see him back if we could get him for less $$$ and somehow limit his minutes to keep him effective. My other idea would be to bring him in as an assistant coach.

I get the impression that unless he feels he can be effective he won't be back. If he is true to his words, he will accept a diminished role/less $$ just to stay with the Flyers to finish out his career in the NHL. I do think his experience and attitude is an asset that we would have a tough time replacing with this young core.

Of course if it is about the almighty dollar, he'll go where the money is. But I don't think so.

Severalli is writing that Jagr may want to finish up in Toronto or Montreal and that the Flyers would likely not engage in a bidding war.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20120510_5_questions_heading_into_Flyers__offseason.html

so it seems like the things we're saying Homer or a spokes is saying too.

Severalli is writing that Jagr may want to finish up in Toronto or Montreal and that the Flyers would likely not engage in a bidding war.

http://www.philly.co..._offseason.html

so it seems like the things we're saying Homer or a spokes is saying too.

if that were true then he doesn't dream of hoisting a cup ever again cause those 2 franchises have no shot. curious as to where severalli heard that story smells of an Ecklund E4

No I don't want him back under any scenario. Less money, less minutes, doesn't matter. Jagr is only really effective as a 1st or 2nd line player playing with more talented offensive forwards. He's not a checking line or energy line forward. Plus he will take ice time away from developing youngsters. He was nice to bring in this season for veteran leadership but I think we are better off looking elsewhere for next season.

This team needs to focus all its money on upgrading the defense and locking up Voracek. Jagr is a great storyline but we just don't have the margin to spend money on guys that will fade after 60-70 games.

No thanks. Great player, I have tons of respect for him, but it's time to get the core defense together.

• Like 1

Can we have him pull a Selanne/Niedermayer and "retire" and then decide to come back halfway through the season while he stays in Czech training and skating?

His salary, ice time and role would need to be reduced, but I still think he could be an effective player

For half a season and the playoffs.

I just really don't see much of a benefit in bringing him back. There is no doubt he can still be effective during the regular season. But clearly, at this point in his career, he will have nothing left when the plaoyffs start. He just no longer can go through a grueling 82 games season and still be fresh for the post-season. So with that being the case, what is the point of bringing him back? We need a faster and younger veteran scoring winger on the Giroux's line. Jagr doesn't fill that role anymore.

• Like 1

Straight from the horse's mouth --- Flyers Exit interview:

HOLMGREN: on bringing Jagr back

"Yeah -- I'd like to have him back. But, I imagine some other teams around the league would like to have him as well.

We spoke to Jaromir and his agent during the season a bit about next year and said we'd revisit after the season - we havent spoken to him - YET - of course."

SO ---- pretty much confirmed they will try to bring him back..... but if someone else feels that he is worth more to them than the Flyers, he'll be gone.

However, I dont think teams will overbid for him -- and I'd say Jag's will take less money to stay here rather than start over again at this point in his life.

Can we have him pull a Selanne/Niedermayer and "retire" and then decide to come back halfway through the season while he stays in Czech training and skating?

His salary, ice time and role would need to be reduced, but I still think he could be an effective player

For half a season and the playoffs.

Ahh....touche! Nice idea! For me its gonna depend on who is at G's wing, a Robin to his Batman, as it were. I don't want his talent and vision to go to waste with someone who can't 'think' as similar game as giroux. Do we have that player on our roster? I'm not quite convinced.

@NJSikkbreed

Jaromir Jagr left the impression on locker cleanout day that he would become a free agent this summer rather than sign again with the Philadelphia Flyers.

Two days ago, after the Flyers were eliminated by the New Jersey Devils, Jagr said: "This was the most enjoyable year I've ever had. It's a sad day for me. I want to cry right now."

But Thursday, the 40-year-old forward gave no indication he wanted to return, saying he would have been more productive this season if coach Peter Laviolette had given him more ice time.

"Sometimes I felt I can be better if I played a little more than I played," Jagr said.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/05/10/nhl-notes-bryzgalov-gets-vote-of-confidence

interesting......

if that were true then he doesn't dream of hoisting a cup ever again cause those 2 franchises have no shot. curious as to where severalli heard that story smells of an Ecklund E4

Did someone step in dogsh!t?....oh nevermind. I would have no issue if he stayed for less money and less minutes.

Ahh....touche! Nice idea! For me its gonna depend on who is at G's wing, a Robin to his Batman, as it were. I don't want his talent and vision to go to waste with someone who can't 'think' as similar game as giroux. Do we have that player on our roster? I'm not quite convinced.

I would put Cooter there in Jagr's place. That would be one M EFFER of a line to play....