Ron Jeremeys logical offseason plan

Guest RonJeremy

Here is Ron Jeremys offseason plan....

Goaltending- if the new CBA alows, you buyout Bryzgalov, he had an entire year to turn things around and he never did, no way do we want to be stuck with that cap hit for 10 years for an average goalie. He is a 50 million dollar Roman Cecmanek, a head case with poor goaltending mechanics. The only decent goalie avaialble as a FA is Harding from Minnesota. Bob has skill but has to learn to stand up more and not give up all those high shots. So if we dump this Russian tool, thats 5 million right there.All we need is a goalie who doesnt give up bad goals, he doesnt have to be aTim Thomas, if we improve our D ,a solid consistentent goalie all we need.

Defense- Pronger is gone, Timmo is a shell of himself, so that leaves us short of a #1 and #2 dman now and after this year.Timmo needs to play way less minutes so he can last for playoffs. Coburn, Mezz, Grossman, Timmo (less minutes) are all back. Carle probalby gets a big offer elsewhere.Bourdon probably wins the 7th spot. So we need to add 2 dmen. Of course top 2 dmen are not readily available, so we may have no option other than to get Suter. Lastly JVR will have to be sacrificed for a good young dman, Bogosian, Schenn ,Gubranson from FLA possibly. To me ,i dont see us trading any other forward other than JVR and alot of teams like him. I also dont see us getting 2 good dmen any other way than one FA and one trade.

So with Pronger gone LTIR, Bryz bought out under new CBA and JVR traded thats 14 million in cap space plus the cap is supposed to go up another 4 or 5 million. So if all works out we have close to 20 million to work with.

Forwards- Jagr looked slow as hell, but we need a real finisher to play with Giroux , dont know where we get that from, so we may be stuck with Jagr for one more year, unless we draft another guy who can step right in like Coots did.

We obviously give raises to Voracek, slight ones to Bourdon and Gus. We also have to start thinking about Hartnell, he is in his last year of his contract i believe.

There is a dman avaialble in the draft this year, who looks like he was born to be a Flyer, I havent seen a dman like this in years. He fights, he hits, has offensive skill and is a righty. gotta love this guy... Please watch YOU TUBE video

• Like 1

Sounds good however the cap will go up 5 mil with the current cba but will be cut by as much as 15 percent to maybe 20 percent. That's what the league is going for with less revenue sharing to players. Now this is the system the league wanted and now they are saying salaries and cap is getting to high for the low revenue teams once again. As a person who does government cba's I find this as an issue. There is no way I would allow them to scare back salaries based on the fact the league locked its players out because of this negotiating issue in the last cba without major kick backs. The league will have to back down on this matter because it's simply not justifiable. If you have struggling teams you eliminate them. It's a business. If I was in charge of the players union I would go for a hard upper cap and use a soft lower level cap. There are other issues at hand but thats a big issue.

Also not sure if the union pres has the ability but I would want shannanan removed of duties as I would state he failed in his position to make fair and equal discipline to star or role players. Not just based on the flyers issues but league wide. He failed end of story.

Defense

Turnover machine Carle walks

I think we sign Suter

I would try to reopen the trade for JVR and acquire Schenn or Bogosian

Sign free agent Matt Carkner from Ottawa (possibly to play forward)

My defense is Suter, Mez, Coburn, Grossman, Kimo, Schenn with Carkner as my 7th

The defense would be bigger and more physical and better equipped to deal with an aggressive forecheck like the Devils and to clear the porch in front of Bryz.

Goalie

Like it or not we are stuck with Bryz and his contract. One poster submitted an interesting proposal and that was to trade one issue in Bryz for another in Luongo. Their salaries are almost identical and the trade might benefit both with a change in scenery.

Forwards

I let Jagr walk. Lappy's cap hit comes off as well as Betts

I give Jake a bump in pay

I need a scoring forward with the absence of JVR and Jagr so my options would be:

There are three intriguing RFA forwards out there who I might consider making an offer

Evander Kane - 6'2 20 years old and score 30 goals last season. His cap hit is 3.1 million and 5.5 million might get him. He is gritty, can score and is young. Hell I would trade JVR straight up for him as he is less expensive and has a lot more production

Chris Stewart - Big kid who scored 28 goals on 09/10 for Colorado but dropped to 15 goals in Hitch's offensive stifling system. He is another big body who can score and be effective on the forecheck. He is also a RH shot which we need and might be able to sign for 3.5 - 3.8

Sam Gagner - he is my wild card. I high prospect who hasn't materialize at this level yet. He is a RH shot, and scored 18 goals, 29 assists for 47 points last season. He is making 2.275 and could be had for about 3.5 - 3.75

The likelihood of any of those drastic changes being made are slim to none but I do think the defense needs an overhaul. If we kept the current lineup but added Schenn and Suter to the blueline I think we are an improved team.

I am also intrigued about a Luono Bryz trade. I think Luongo when he is on can be the best in the world. I think he would benefit enormously from a change in scenery. Conversely, I think Bryz would also do well with a change in scenary.

• Like 1

@Dynamo 47

I like everything you said. On par with everything I was discussing with a few friends the other day.

The only hiccup would probably be Bryzgalov. I agree that no matter what, he is here to stay. I don't think Vancouver would pay Bryzgalov's salary to sit on the bench.

I know this might sound crazy, but with an improved defense and another year under his belt, Bryzgalov may actually be decent. The jury is still out though.

I would try to reopen the trade for JVR and acquire Schenn or Bogosian

i think you and i have talked about this before...but i don't mind repeating myself.

JvR for either of those two stiffs straight up is a loser. schenn, maybe a change of scenery helps him, but i think he's dumb, joni pikanen dumb, but he hits, so is that the allure ? or am i jaded by the fact that he's a leaf and once he gets that stink off him he'll be good...? i think there needs to be more coming from toronto for that to work. i don't know much about bogosian other than his best year had him as a minus player and he's big... so again JvR for one of these guys should be a no go.

Kane and Stewart are intriguing thoughts though, take that jagr money and apply toward one of them that could be nice, having some size on the wing helps to make up for 2 of our 4 centerman being smallish.

what do you think about barrett jackman D from StL as a free agent signing ?

Hey mojo. I think we might have talked about it. I am not giving up on JVR by any means but we need some major help on defense and the offense this season was fine without him. It's not like he is Bobby Ryan who already has a couple 30 goal seasons under his belt. JVR has potential but might not ever realize it here. I definitely give him up if I can get a top 4 defenseman in return.

I have always liked Jackman and proposed trading free agent for free agent during the season with Carle going to the Blues for Jackman. I wanted Jackman for leadership, grit and most importantly a physical presence on defense as with Pronger out we had none. We got Grossman who I really like but we need less finess and more bang on the blueline.

I definitely give him up if I can get a top 4 defenseman in return.

I agree here.

do you project schenn as a top 4 ?

i have a hard time seeing that.

as for Jackman how good of a skater is he ? my question on him is does he have the wheels to play Lavy ball ?

I'm not sure why anyone thinks the Jets will give up Bogosian or Kane. They have more caproom than we could dream of and are committed to the young-team-building-slowly philosophy. Both of those guys are going to be 5+ big ones a year in the very near future and I'm not yet convinced that Kane will be worth it.

Maybe, but no way would Vancouver take Bryz's contract to back up Schneider. And also no way Bryz waives his NMC to go to Vancouver... to be a backup.

Vancouver is in a similar predicament as we are, except they have Schneider - a star-potential young goalie stud who we don't have in the system. But what do they do with Luongo then? I am sure they would LOVE to give Scheinder a #1 job, but as long as Luongo and his money are there, they can't do much. I would think they will be working hard trying to dump Luongo this summer. There should be more buyers for Luongo than for Bryzgalov. Bryzgalov is pretty much unmovable.

Edited by Mad Dog

Vancouver is in a similar predicament as we are, except they have Schneider - a star-potential young goalie stud who we don't have in the system. But what do they do with Luongo then? I am sure they would LOVE to give Scheinder a #1 job, but as long as Luongo and his money are there, they can't do much. I would think they will be working hard trying to dump Luongo this summer. There should be more buyers for Luongo than for Bryzgalov. Bryzgalov is pretty much unmovable.

Luongo has basically asked for a trade, I think he has already given them a list of teams that he'd waive his NMC for. Bryz as you say, is going nowhere.

Luongo has basically asked for a trade, I think he has already given them a list of teams that he'd waive his NMC for. Bryz as you say, is going nowhere.

Why can't Bryzgalov give the Flyers a list of team he would like to go to? :) I can dream.....

bryz isn't going anywhere so you can all stop dreaming. and since when has this magical 'change of scenery' pill become the magical cure all for mediocre careers!?

bryz just had a change in scenery this year. so did schenn. look... some players take a few years to adjust before they get back to excelling. bryz will be better next year.

D is where we need to be concerned. carle will be back... deal with it. if Nash keeps suter, look for flyers to make a huge play for weber. I would prefer weber even though he'll cost us a schenn and a few others. I'd be ok sacrificing O depth for a stud D. timo's cap hit comes off after next season... keep in mind.

And also no way Bryz waives his NMC to go to Vancouver... to be a backup.

I don't know, maybe he would. He already has his contract. He doesn't seem to like it here. Maybe he'd welcome being taken off the pressure cooker.