Still in Shock

Guest AndyS

There is just no logical explanation for losing to the Devils.

I know that they were not far behind the Flyers in the standings, so they were evenly-matched. I get that the Devils' style of play wasn't the best matchup for the Flyers.

But what I saw was a hockey club that was just flat-out unwilling to put forth the freaking effort. They were unwilling to take a hit to make a play. They did not skate as hard as the Devils.

This was one of the biggest wastes of an opportunity that I can remember.

I have not been this down on the Flyers in a long time.

One thing to keep in mind too about the Debbies being 1 pt behind us in the stadings is that a huge portion of those points were in the gimmick um er shootout...whithout that they would have been much further behind.

The Debbies played like dog turds for much of the season and vs the Panthers. Beating the Panthers seem to galvanize them a bit and I have a feeling that they watched tapes of the Rags vs Flyers games for a forumla on how to approach us.

Giroux admitted that they looked past the Debbies and once the Debs got some confidence and saw how to frustrate the Flyers they just continued to do so and we did not respond.

I think we may have struggled vs the Caps and for sure would have struggled vs the Rags anyway so I dont think we would have made the SCF with this team anyway. The future is bright on offense and I think that we all know the D needs to be tweaked a bit to protect Bryzaster. Remeber when we were getting quality minutes from Kubina and Grossman? Bryz looked like a world beater and had confidence to do so. When they both got hurt Bryz looked more like an egg beater that was spinning out of control. We are close...we need to address some glaring needs.

• Like 1

I can't say I am in shock, but I am extremely disappointed with this team. I know it's probably not the right way to look at it, but I look at as yet another year with no Cup.....another lost season. And the goaltending mess makes me even more upset. I don't know what to expect next season, especially knowing that Bryzgalov is not going anywhere.

• Like 1

Like Dale Hunter and his coaching staff all being former Caps I would like to see some former Flyers with more coaching responsibilities. Right off the bat there is Berube,Tochett,Lappy,Preameau,etc. a lot of good candidates. Hunter's guys are really playing well,according to plan,while giving the Ranger everything they can handle. Maybe the Flyers could duplicate that example.