Bryz fed up with scrutiny in Philly...

Guest OccamsRazor

I wonder if there was some criticism from another source than the fans, which got to Bryz. Too bad he's a flake, because I kind of feel bad for him after that interview. Good for him sticking with a Russian interview. Let's some translation professionals worry about getting the correct point across to English.

@doom88

I don't get the "feel bad for him". HE is the one that wanted the BIG bucks AND LONG term contract. I don't give a flying eff his is poor ego is injured because the fans scrutinize his game. They don't make 10M in one year of 51m over 9 years. Cry me an effing river.

I will never be able to get behind this guy.

Breezy first year with the Flyers: 33W-16L-7OTL-6SOL, salary> 10M

GAA: 2.48, Sv Pctg: .909

Bobs first year with the Flyers: 28W-13L-8OTL-0SOL, salary> 1.75m

GAA: 2.59, SV Pctg: .915

If I was Breezy I would STFU and go cash my checks and do the best to prepare for a better year- of just say eff off to NHL and go play in the KHL (where team Russia did NOT want him for the World Championships!).

• Like 1

I would personally lead a drive to provide Bryzo and his family plane fare back to where ever he came from(on this planet only) if he would quit! Just think Bryskie, no more philly type brain scans,no more scorching BS from people like me and the rest of these posters. Putin is the new prime minister,the KHL would love a native son& moonie-tune.

wow. I didn't think it was possible for me to like him even less but lo and behold - after reading that I do.

I got nothing but contempt for this clown. He ruined (okay, "soured" not "ruined") an otherwise unbelievably successful season for the Flyers.

I'm not talking about winning the Cup, I mean all the games that should've been wins but weren't because we needed 5 fkn goals to compensate for Bryzgalov's amateur mistakes....all the deflating, backbreaking goals that sapped the bench's momentum, all the attention-hogging WTF-is-this-guy-talking-about quotes in the press....etc.

And now to top it all off he wants sympathy because "it's difficult" to play goal in Philly. For $5.6 million a year. Yeah, okay, right.

Fk Bryzgalov.

So many of the people who worry about the effect that the goalie's play has on the mindset of the team in front of them don't seem to take into account their effect on the mindeset of the goalie in front of them.

Amateur psychology only goes so far.

Luckily, in my experience in the building, fans who are actually at the game are more interested in wanting the goalie to succeed than cascading abuse upon him.

If the NHL is lucky, theyll give the Cup away to another market that can't figure out what the fuss is about.

I guess I'd like to see the entire interview. I think Bryz will be a better goaltender next season. He has every reason to prove the naysayers wrong.

"I will not give in when facing difficulties," he said. "I have eight more years to work under my contract with Philadelphia. If I am criticized, then I will endure it. You can't tie up people's tongues. It is their right to let the emotions go.

• Like 1

welcome to a hockey market Mr Bryzgalov.... now that you know what you need to do... work on it and prove your detractors wrong. be solid, and things will take care of themselves.

the goalie's play has on the mindset of the team in front of them don't seem to take into account their effect on the mindeset of the goalie in front of them.

ugh, now we're getting into "which is more egregious?" territory, an incredibly soft goal or a defensive breakdown. Those are pretty tough questions to answer even for a trained psychologist. So let's keep it simple: the goalie's job is to stop the puck. When he sucks at it you can be sure the team doesn't like it. If he misses enough soft ones eventually the team doesn't like him.

I'd be willing to bet Bryzgalov is "fed up with the scrutiny" of his team and it's got very little to do with the press or the fans.

Sure it works both ways. But I hate Byzgalov so I blame him. How's that for amateur psychology? :)

This situation with Bryzo is not unique,look at the Pred's Radulov,the Bures,etc. Its not unique with "the Goalie who couldn't",he blames the fans,the media,planetary alignment,and Chief Hocus-Pocus,. Everybody but himself! These players look at the NHL as a big cow to milk for everything its worth! Anybody who thinks Bryzo will get better is Delusional! We've seen his best and worst,its the same thing. I wonder if he and Brownie do stand together,after listening to Homer?

I feel sorry for him. Really, Tim is blew up this out proportions, he and only he (Tim) is fault in this hysteria around Bryz.

Give him f.... brake. That's it. He is Russian from small town and used to different way of life, he needs to adjusted for mega city.

So many of the people who worry about the effect that the goalie's play has on the mindset of the team in front of them don't seem to take into account their effect on the mindeset of the goalie in front of them.

Luckily, in my experience in the building, fans who are actually at the game are more interested in wanting the goalie to succeed than cascading abuse upon him.

If the NHL is lucky, theyll give the Cup away to another market that can't figure out what the fuss is about.

it's true, but there are those fans who go too far. i think he's more referring to them. we're not in his shoes and we don't hear the things people say to him outside of the rink or near the tunnel. i'm sure it's unpleasant. he deserves a lot of criticism, but people should leave him alone away from the rink and when he's not playing. press is free game, but i'm just talking about those who take it too far.

i mean... jvr made one comment, earlier this season, about supporting bryz and the team on twitter. the replies to him were just unbelievable. really cruel and mean spirited. if we treat our own like this? i mean... it's kinda despicable.

• Like 1

I don't even see a direct quote that says he's "fed up". Hater's are going to hate and certain writers are going to distort and embellish in order to get more attention. I'm disappointed with Bryz, but I said long ago (maybe wrongly then too) that he's not a bad goalie - he's a good goalie that's playing bad. I expect him to be better next year, but I can't say how much better.

I can't believe how many people buy into Carchidi's "journalism." he loves to stir the pot and you guys love to slurp it up.

No doubt mkscrewey.

Carchidi is a negative creep just looking for drama and hyperbole.

People eat this slop up and look like fools for ripping our own players, IMO. What a stupid mentality to pile on OUR goalie when the guy is just being honest. Look past any positive, focus only on negatve. Repeat cycle. It's almost half this forum too, pretty sad.

Two observations: he was pretty naive about what it would be like to play in Philly. May have to do with the cultural differences, his prior experience in the league, what have you. He had no idea what he was getting into.

I would have ended the above paragraph with "...but he knows now" except that he doesn't seem to have fully absorbed the lessons that were there to learn. He needed to keep his mouth shut because after the season he had and the way it ended, there was clearly a risk that comments like this would be picked up and used, fairly or unfairly, to stir the pot and create more controversy. When it comes to shutting up, he will probably always be challenged, which IMO makes his personality a bad fit for Philly.

As an aside, I also think his lack of puck handling skill makes him a poor fit for the Flyers up-tempo style of play. Look at what Brodeur did for the Devils, who are playing the same style. Marty didn't have to stop the puck too often to a great degree because even at this stage of his career, he's among the best around at moving the puck.

you don't want scrutiny? then don't ask for so much money. Who the hell gets paid that kind of money and expects the length of rope he looks for?

it's crazy. You don't even have to get into the specifics of his game. $10 mil and the world has a right to expect superman. Not many players in the NHL make that in a single season and he just did.

I'd love to see him run a business, hand a guy $10 mil and then be patient with lackluster performance. It's a ridiculous notion.

@phlfly

"I feel sorry for him. Really, Tim is blew up this out proportions, he and only he (Tim) is fault in this hysteria around Bryz. Give him f.... brake. That's it. He is Russian from small town and used to different way of life, he needs to adjusted for mega city."

You have to be kidding. I mean I know you are Russian and partisan to Bryz because he is Russian, but using the excuse that he is from a small town in Russia and used to a different way of life is a load of crap. He has been playing hockey in the United States for over 10 years. The places he has played are:

Cincinnati population is only 300k (Bryz played there for 4 years)

Anaheims population is only 300k (Bryz played there for 2 years)

Phoenix-Mesa-Glendale metro is 4.1M!! (Bryz played the last 4 years there)

Allot of the players that have families choose to live in Cherry Hill (21 minutes to south philly) or Voorhees (30 minutes to south philly). The population of Cherry Hill is 70k and voorhees is 29k. The practice facility is an easy 5 minute drive from each of those locations. So, if anything, the communities that the players live in (especially the ones with families) are significantly smaller than his prior stops.

Being educated (he has a degree and licence as a Teacher in Russia) and having a particular affinity for philosophy, I hardly think that cultural differences really affect him like you say.

Lastly, MANY, MANY, MANY players from North America, Eastern Europe, to Scandinavia come from very small towns and different cultures. I can't say that I can remember that as an excuse for their failings (especially a 32 year old adult that has been playing in the league for 10 years. I mean look at Brobrovsky. Truly, other than the last month and playoffs of his first year, I think Bobrovsky's first year was better than Breezies and Bobs literally came from small blue collar town in Russia to big city and could not speak the language. He had every excuse to fail and did not (I attribute is last month and playoffs to both pressure and hitting the wall).

@Spinorama

"Not many players in the NHL make that in a single season and he just did."

1. Brad Richards 12M

2. Bryzgalov / Ehroff 10M

3. Malkin, Crosby and Ovechkin 9M

I know this has been hashed out before, but it does bare repeating. The Flyers messed up the whole situation by trading for his rights. He had them by the balls and the Flyers backed the money store up to his door step. I am all for a player getting the most that they can get paid. Shame on Snider for screwing the pooch on that one.

However, what I am not for is that player whining about fans, team etc. You have a beef with the d in front of you- address it in the locker room. You have an issue with criticism and over-bearing fans, take it up with you $400 an house sports psychologist / psychiatrist / sociologist / wife / friends etc. Whatever it takes for you to blow the steam off and get your head on straight.

But DO NOT go to the media and whine about the fans in an economy where many are hand to mouth and for some just to see a single game puts a financial burden on a household WHILE you are cashing 10M dollar pay checks (he earned $169k for each game he played this year).

The reality is that (barring some miracle in the next CBA), we are stuck with him for two more years. I say two more years because we (Snider) will have paid him nearly 1/2 of the value of his contract. His remaining 6 years of the contract pay him and average of 4.41m per season on a sliding scale.

That is certainly moveable.

• Like 1

@phlfly

"I feel sorry for him. Really, Tim is blew up this out proportions, he and only he (Tim) is fault in this hysteria around Bryz. Give him f.... brake. That's it. He is Russian from small town and used to different way of life, he needs to adjusted for mega city."

You have to be kidding. I mean I know you are Russian and partisan to Bryz because he is Russian, but using the excuse that he is from a small town in Russia and used to a different way of life is a load of crap. He has been playing hockey in the United States for over 10 years. The places he has played are:

Cincinnati population is only 300k (Bryz played there for 4 years)

Anaheims population is only 300k (Bryz played there for 2 years)

Phoenix-Mesa-Glendale metro is 4.1M!! (Bryz played the last 4 years there)

haha... you can say anaheim's population is only 300k... is that from their chamber of commerce? but, if you've ever been to anaheim, it's essentially been absorbed into the megalopolis that is LA. and there's about 30 million people about you. small town bryz became only a memory after he deposited his first million bucks.

Edited by Bakanekimiwa

Two observations: he was pretty naive about what it would be like to play in Philly. May have to do with the cultural differences, his prior experience in the league, what have you. He had no idea what he was getting into.

I would have ended the above paragraph with "...but he knows now" except that he doesn't seem to have fully absorbed the lessons that were there to learn. He needed to keep his mouth shut because after the season he had and the way it ended, there was clearly a risk that comments like this would be picked up and used, fairly or unfairly, to stir the pot and create more controversy. When it comes to shutting up, he will probably always be challenged, which IMO makes his personality a bad fit for Philly.

As an aside, I also think his lack of puck handling skill makes him a poor fit for the Flyers up-tempo style of play. Look at what Brodeur did for the Devils, who are playing the same style. Marty didn't have to stop the puck too often to a great degree because even at this stage of his career, he's among the best around at moving the puck.

seems in the fans/media eye he can't win. He talks to much and veryone is on him. He doesn't talk and everyone is on him... What the F would you do? Take 25 million LESS because you were worried about what everyone else thinks about you just so you don't have to talk? Ridiculous...