Bryzgalov Pours His Heart & Soul, And -- Of Course -- Philly Media Makes Him the Bad Guy

Guest Irishjim

well, not really. the last two years, yes. the first two, no. 38w/83pts in 07-08, and 36w/79pts in 08-09. versus 42w/97pts this. interestingly, smith himself had two more wins this season than bryzgalov did last, though the team ended up with 2 extra points om front of bryzgalov.

not trying to be argumentative, just, well, facts.

bryzgalov's improved mobility with grossmann and kubina in front of him...was it that he suddenly (and temporarily) improved a technical aspect of his game, or was that technical aspect of his game not as exposed once the defense started doing a better job of protecting him? i.e., he wasn't asked to make as many side-to-side saves, so his shortcomings were not as on display.

i dunno. i tend to point at the fairly major changes in the d-corps that happened at the same time rather than a wildly oscillating skill set out of bryzgalov. it'd be interesting to put tape of games from each "era" side by side to compare, but if we're going purely on results....if you hear hooves, think horses not zebras, you know? fundamental stuff like ability to skate and stretch don't usually come and go like that, whereas opposition shot selection can be influenced by defensive makeovers.

you say you saw the difference in his play, specifically, though, so there is that. i didn't notice the same thing, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. happily, we'll all get another look in 4 1/2 months or so. :)

obviously, this is all gnawing on a bone that i'm sure we'll throw back and forth for years to come. hey, upside to all of this, we will never ever get bored while bryzgalov is around.

Well, I meant their playoff runs, but that's neither here nor there. The fact is that the Coyotes had more wins and more points the last two years than this year in their incredible emergence under Mike Smith.

And, yes, I saw a different goalie who was 15-6-3, 1.84, .929 after the All Star Break than the one who was 18-10-4, 2.99, .895 prior to it.

And I've clearly stated that it was related to the arrival of better D as well - and better team defense.

It's amazing how better team defense improves the team's defense.

Your mileage may vary.

Kubina whether people want to admit it or not made a huge difference for the D. His shot blocking when he was healthy made a huge difference. For a lower salary, I would still like to see him with the Flyers.

Well, I meant their playoff runs, but that's neither here nor there. The fact is that the Coyotes had more wins and more points the last two years than this year in their incredible emergence under Mike Smith.

And, yes, I saw a different goalie who was 15-6-3, 1.84, .929 after the All Star Break than the one who was 18-10-4, 2.99, .895 prior to it.

And I've clearly stated that it was related to the arrival of better D as well - and better team defense.

Your mileage may vary.

Imagine how much a better goaltender would improve our goaltending? :ph34r:

• Like 1

Imagine how much a better goaltender would improve our goaltending? :ph34r:

If you can tell me how they're going to get a better goaltender, then I'm all for it.

As there is at this time no reasonable, feasible way beyond serious injury that we will have a different starting goalie next season I would prefer to seek positives and again believe that the post-All Star Bryz is possible to have for a longer period.

To pretend that that time period didn't happen or was solely the result of adding Kubina and Grossmann - who undeniably helped - is, for me, disingenuous.

This isn't "defending" Bryz or "apologizing" - it's using basic statistical analysis combined with one's own observation about a situation one didn't create, doesn't agree with and is trying to buckle down and pull through. In such a situation, reasonable people may disagree.

I do think that there is a possibility of a buyout after next season, pending the new CBA and whether or not his play is at a consistently higher level. With just two "bad" years on the cap, coming in the future with a likely higher cap, it may be manageable.

Ahh...maybe all he needs is to go back to Mother Russia and relax. Maybe a nice long vacation in Chernobyl would set his head straight.

I do expect him to do just that in Y7, barring the buyout scenario.

Where can they get a better goaltender? There has the be an arena around somewhere. You'll find one there...at ANY arena.

You know when Toronto sports radio stations are making DAILY Bryzgalov jokes, he's beyond bad. I mean the Leafs may have just as bad of goaltending (they just don't look as awkward or should i say they look like they'd played hockey before) they just haven't got them signed for 9 years.

I recall Bryz playing some good goal. But that certainly wasn't the norm. The norm was fumbling pucks, not moving on shots, looking disinterested,, playing like he'd never been a goalie before and making bizarre comments. It's rare for ex-teammates to take a shot at you when you leave, especially in hockey. The fact TWO guys did tells me how loved he was in Phoenix.

I know you're just being the glass half full guy rad. And maybe Bryz was half good his past season. That's still pretty lame, when we already had that calibre for a lot less money.

Year SEVEN??? I'll already be doing time for murder by year 7...if I get to him first.

• Like 1

Where can they get a better goaltender? There has the be an arena around somewhere. You'll find one there...at ANY arena.

You know when Toronto sports radio stations are making DAILY Bryzgalov jokes, he's beyond bad. I mean the Leafs may have just as bad of goaltending (they just don't look as awkward or should i say they look like they'd played hockey before) they just haven't got them signed for 9 years.

I recall Bryz playing some good goal. But that certainly wasn't the norm. The norm was fumbling pucks, not moving on shots, looking disinterested,, playing like he'd never been a goalie before and making bizarre comments. It's rare for ex-teammates to take a shot at you when you leave, especially in hockey. The fact TWO guys did tells me how loved he was in Phoenix.

I know you're just being the glass half full guy rad. And maybe Bryz was half good his past season. That's still pretty lame, when we already had that calibre for a lot less money.

Year SEVEN??? I'll already be doing time for murder by year 7...if I get to him first.

Maybe if you'd bake him some cookies his play would improve. After all, his bad play is a direct result of the hostile atmosphere you've singlehandedly created. He needs to know you care.

• Like 1

Nobody likes a sad goalie....

tumblr_m0nn7ehR7f1qhsvvfo1_500.jpg

Captions....

1)Goalie Apathy...still here and not going away anytime soon........

2)I wonder if I remembered to walk the dog.......

3)Damn....I am not going to live THAT one down.....

Captions....

1)Goalie Apathy...still here and not going away anytime soon........

2)I wonder if I remembered to walk the dog.......

3)Damn....I am not going to live THAT one down.....

4) Ugh 8 more years of persecution - by the media, the fans, my teammates.... Damn...not even $51 million can make up for this horrible existence I'm forced to live. Everybody makes mistakes but these people act like it's my job to stop the puck. Okay fine, it is. But what about all the other guys? They don't seem to care about defense so why should I?

I'm not saying there aren't better goalies out there. I'm saying that it's virtually impossible - at the moment, under current conditions - to acquire one.

We're not trading Bryz for Nash. We're not trading Bryz for Luongo. Or Kiprusoff. Or the rights to Trevor Kidd's grandson. There won't be a set of picks and prospects - going either way.

Bryz isn't getting bought out this season.

So, where do we go from here?

You want to keep harping on how much he'e making and whether or not the goalie who mentally collapsed at the end of the season was a "better, cheaper option". Want to talk about what the effect his play has on the teammates that have been nothing but supportive both publicly and privately? Want to blame him for the team playing like warmed over dogspit against the Devils?

Go ahead. It's doesn't change a blessed thing. We have what we have and what we have we're going to be keeping.

That said, if Homer finds a way to fleece a team into taking Bryz, I'll drive him to the airport and carry his bags through security.

As for Phoenix, two guys that haven't won jack in their careers and have been traded away from teams on the brink of succeeding, I don't particularly give a rat's posterior about. Are there a lot of people talking about what great teammates Aucoin and Morris are?

Um, no.

Want to blame him for the team playing like warmed over dogspit against the Devils?

yes. here's how - and admittedly it's a stretch, but here goes:

Bryzgalov sucked through most of the year. I know you debate that with numbers that can show otherwise, but watching all the games, evaluating him as I would any goaltender let's face it he sucked. For most of the season.

Here comes the stretch - how much better, fresher, more motivated - fresher (did I mention that one already?) would the Flyers' skaters have been in R2 if they hadn't spent a season coming back from 3, 4 goal leads given to the opposition? Does bad goaltending takes its toll on a team? Sure it does, but I agree with what you'll respond with, it's difficult if not impossible to quantify. And you'll also say, rightly, that it works both ways. Had the team D been more responsible all year maybe Bryzgalov has a better season and it doesn't take 6 grueling games in R1 to eliminate a collapsing Penguins team.

Maybe. Who knows? All I know for sure is that Bryzgalov is an incredibly weak link on the ice. There are other weak links but ...

yes. here's how - and admittedly it's a stretch, but here goes:

Bryzgalov sucked through most of the year. I know you debate that with numbers that can show otherwise, but watching all the games, evaluating him as I would any goaltender let's face it he sucked. For most of the season.

Here comes the stretch - how much better, fresher, more motivated - fresher (did I mention that one already?) would the Flyers' skaters have been in R2 if they hadn't spent a season coming back from 3, 4 goal leads given to the opposition? Does bad goaltending takes its toll on a team? Sure it does, but I agree with what you'll respond with, it's difficult if not impossible to quantify. And you'll also say, rightly, that it works both ways. Had the team D been more responsible all year maybe Bryzgalov has a better season and it doesn't take 6 grueling games in R1 to eliminate a collapsing Penguins team.

Maybe. Who knows? All I know for sure is that Bryzgalov is an incredibly weak link on the ice. There are other weak links but ...

You do have a tremendous reach :-) But these sorts of arguments cut both ways - suppose the team defense had been better in front of Bryz, would his confidence have been better, which would have helped the team's play... yadda yadda...

It's a team game. They won as a team. They lost as a team. For me, rather than a bunch of malcontents like Aucoin and Morris, this team came together and was really supporting everyone, recognizing their deficiencies and growing together.

I look at a team that Some around here (not necessarily you) were questioning would even MAKE the playoffs and "how can we replace the scoring of Crater/Richards??" and now are upset that they didn't win the Cup. To me, this season was a welcome surprise and a harbinger of success in the future. There aren't a lot of teams who replace half the roster (and a large chunk of the leadership group), lose their prize FA vet defenseman Captain, integrate six rookies and march to the Cup in Year One.

Aside from finding some bright spots in the darkness, I'm certainly not saying Bryz is the next coming of Jaques Plante.

I am saying we're stuck with him and I do believe that he showed he can be significantly better than he was for the first part of the season.

Essentially: If he is the weakest link - hello!

• Like 1

I look at a team that Some around here (not necessarily you) were questioning would even MAKE the playoffs and "how can we replace the scoring of Crater/Richards??" and now are upset that they didn't win the Cup. To me, this season was a welcome surprise and a harbinger of success in the future. There aren't a lot of teams who replace half the roster (and a large chunk of the leadership group), lose their prize FA vet defenseman Captain, integrate six rookies and march to the Cup in Year One.

Yeah, but this is more of a testimony of the players' character and strength of will, which requires a thread of its own. I don't see how Bryz fits into all this, to be candid.

Yeah, but this is more of a testimony of the players' character and strength of will, which requires a thread of its own. I don't see how Bryz fits into all this, to be candid.

Are you saying that a different goalie as the only change to this squad takes them to a Cup this season?

I'm saying it was ridiculous to expect a Cup, even with all the pieces (including the goalie) coming together down the stretch. Would it have been nice? Yes.

But I do think this team is positioned better than it has been for a long time to be a serious competitor for a long time. Yes, the goalie is an important part of that and I admit that I choose to see the progress made over the course of the season as a harbinger of good things to come.

Others choose to believe that he's simply incapable of being better than they saw in October/November.

Reasonable people disagree.

Are you saying that a different goalie as the only change to this squad takes them to a Cup this season?

No, that wasn't my point (sorry if I confused you). I am saying I agree the team has overcome tons of obstacles and finished the season very respectably despite all the odds. I am acknowledging they pulled together and showed tremendous growth and determination. I am just not sure how much of this credit belongs to Bryz.

But I do think this team is positioned better than it has been for a long time to be a serious competitor for a long time. Yes, the goalie is an important part of that and I admit that I choose to see the progress made over the course of the season as a harbinger of good things to come.

I would feel very excited if only this wasn't the story for just about every other year since '75. But to your point, I don't know if this team is actually positioned better to win than ever before. We heard this "the Flyers are set to compete for many years" many times before, did we not? I thought the team that Hitch took to the ECF that lost to Tampa was positioned pretty darn well, and probably *would* end up winning the Cup if not for the ridiculous amount of injuries that plagued the team. That team, to me, was as ready as I've ever seen. And Esche was playing several levels better than Bryz, which in and of itslef, just makes me want to scream. At the very least, I didn't have to close my eyes every time the opposing team fired the puck on our net.

But look... I hear you. Bryz is here for a long haul. We are stuck with him. No sense getting our hopes up that something will magically change. But at teh same time, I am curbing my expectatins, because I have been betrayed by this team...... oh....... like forever.

Edited by Mad Dog

I've ridden the highs and lows of Philly sports for 40 years. I don't blame you at all.

I know what we've "heard" before. The difference is I'm actually saying it this time :-)

Here's what I see:

1) a defense that will have four big parts returning last season and saw solid development from MAB and Gustaffsssonnnn; Coburn/Grossmann signed for four years; Meszaros for two more and Kimmo's money off the cap after next year. They should have enough to sign a good role player this season and then make a run at a guy to replace Kimmo with that money.

2) offensively, I think they got themselves out from behind two contracts that would stifle growth. Briere/Giroux/Talbot/Schenn/JVR/Couturier/Read all signed for (at least) next two seasons; Voracek/Simmonds are RFAs. That's 3/4 of the lineup we can rely on (barring trades to improve) for at least two seasons. A good mix of vets and young guys.

3) goaltending is an issue. It is one that can go either way and I am going to sit back and watch what happens next season. All I can do.

4) experience - beating the Pens, getting the "kids" some playoff experience into the second round - especially given the number of the core than can be kept together - is, for me, huge.

With the Big Trades, I said this team got younger, cheaper and, IMO, better. We'll see.

I do prefer to have Voracek/Couturier at $3.5M than Crater at $5.2M though 2022. You could give Voracek an extra $1.5M and still be saving (small) cap room with two players that I, frankly, like moer than Crater.

I do prefet to have Simmonds/Schenn at $4.86M than Richards at $5.75M (mainly because of the term and my feeling that the bloom was off his rose in Philly). They're both signed through next season (and Schenn for another past that).

• Like 1

Where's John Stevens when we need him? Oh yeah he's out in LA competing for the WC.

He could just write to John for the recipe. A cake is just the thing for a goaltender playing to deep in the net.

I hear what your saying PhillyG. I saw the majority of the games and agree that Bryz had a down year, Hartnell down had an up year.

When your confidence is down and you feel out of step, adding pressure to the situation only makes the problem bigger. Look at Hartnell before the start of camp and how he struggled when he left Briere's line and was out of place. He was a rampant rumor mill of being traded, discarded and on the chopping block. Look at him now, about to grace the cover of the next NHL game(long shot).

Chicago beat us with abysmal goaltending (one of the weakest goalie dual in SCF's).

Yet a bounce here and there, we could of won it on the next rush, but the puck crept in.

Yah, if I would of had a gun I could of gotten on the bus and shot the guy who was shooting inside taking people out, I would of been able to fire two shot to his hand and one shot to his knee cap and brought him down and call for backup.

All I hear is I could of done better because for 10 mill, money and practice it would of made me stop those weak side wrist shots and I could of recovered from all the anarchy going on in front of me.

There is no table to stand on no, one was there, no one is in his shoes.

The Flyers FO had a Team addendum to fullfil in the summer,

I Want my Money (goalie) and I Want it Now.

Make the cash call, operators(agents) are standing by.

And so they did, they looked at what was available and what the market was able to bear, so those are the Reagonomics of our contract.

A trickel down affect of the Richards/Carter proposal.

The Grump is voicing his stand on the Bryz camp, I'm on your side as well. Face it our D and Team D did us in. The one thing just about everybody was banking on us having at the beginnig of the season, was us winning 1-0 goal games and we where stifled on the thought of how on earth are we going to score now. I too was a victim of that propaganda and had me up at night and worried, 'Where have all the go-oal scorer's gone?....yippy yahh yippy yay! (X2)

The bottom line we lost as a team, like Kimmo said, we only scored one goal in game five, what's up with that, Our boys scrambled, our coach scrambled, our defensive coach...scrambled, our assistant coach scrambled.....our goalie scrambled, the only one that didn't scramble was the equipment manager, he stood glued to the game.

It's not a matter of finger pointing and say who's fault is it. They should never of gone on stage at the concert and started shooting out T-shirts, instead they should of studied game footage on their opponents at hand. The more you know your enemy, the more your prepared to encounter on the battlefield. That was a humbling experience for Lavy to go through.

The season was a win for all Flyer fans, we did a lot better than the majority of other teams would of done in our situation...come On, look at all the rookies that played for us through the season(we had the most points by rookies).

Yah it stings how we were, ingloriously dispatched by a less talented, depth wise, devils team. I was looking at a possible sweep.(The tortoise and the hare), boy did we fall asleep.

But that's what happens when you go in over confident(look at Pittsburgh). At least we're not in that mentality of, "we can turn on the switch when we want to." like years before. It's more like, "we keep forgetting to turn on the switch when we leave, hold on guys we need to go back and turn on the switch for the next periods."

So all the belly acheing about our goalie is just that. By all counts Bryz should have a better year next year, just like Jagr will.

It is just that. You can skew facts, (example Carle's production). Bryz needs to put in a body of work this summer, like Rocky does, he needs to develop the "Eye Of The Tiger." If he wants to be a better stick handler with the puck, do what Marty does during the summer, play as a forward position in roller hockey during the time off, and practice squareing up to the shooter, cutting angles and explosive movements and flexibility.

If he doesn't work on his game and just wants to cruise through the next season, by all means..."Release the Hounds!...."

Remember he came into this season as a small West-town boy in a dead end world, in an Eastern world meets westend Boy, What then...boy!

He got a rude awakening none the less. Welcome to Philly play hard or go home.

Cut him some slack, he's the new kid. If you've never been in that position, then a big up yours.

I'll have the dawgs ready for next season though. No excuses after that.

I had the courtousy to sit through 3-4 sessions of reading all these posts before the last one, before I responded, just like that.

Lieghts out...Leighton....Pay-iece!