So, do they try and trade Ovechkin?

Guest flyercanuck

For the first time in years the Washington Capitals didn't underachieve in the playoffs. They barely made it in, then knocked off the defending champs, then took the first place team to 7. They did all this giving perenial puckhog Alex Ovechkin a limited role and under coach Dale Hunter played a more team oriented defensive game.

$6.7 million dollar player Alex Semin kicked in a whole FOUR points and likely earned himself a one way ticket to the KHL, unless he wants to take a HUGE paycut (I don't see anyone giving him anywhere near that money, but theres always the Leafs)

So what do they do with Ovechkin? You can't pay a guy that kind of money and play him the minutes Hunter was giving him. He kept his mouth shut through the playoffs, cause it was working. But this guy is way too full of himself to do it through an 82 game schedule. (I doubt he makes it through the summer without knocking his coach) So do they try and trade that huge contract? It's $9,538,462 cap hit until 2021. Or is Hunter gone? Or can they co-exist? What say you? Personally, if I'm the Caps I'd be open to offers.

I would not be so quick to think OV wants out of the Caps organization. Dale Hunter worked nothing short of miracles with that team. He even got Semin to play defense! Who would have thought that was possible? If OV is smart, he will look at the results and try a little harder to fit into Hunter's defensive minded system. In the Southeast division, the Caps should be playoff contenders for years to come.....

@flyerrod

But do you want to pay Ovechkin that kind of money for those minutes?

Not for the minutes he is currently playing....OV is the one who has to change his style if he wants to fit in. His options with his contract are very limited. There are only a few teams that could fit him under the cap and most of those options are not going to get him anywhere near the cup.

Ov will not go anywhere, he brought fans to Verizon center, but not Hunter or Chris Boudroe (?) for this matter.

The only this org is profitable because Ov is playing for Caps. 100's different licenses plates with OV and number 8. All kids rock red with Ovechkin on their t-shirt. Hunter will gone sooner or later, I betcha team will give up on him and by December new coach for Caps.

@flyercanuck

It may look crazy to you, but about 4 years ago I listen XM with Espo, and he said, most originations (owner and ect) are not looking to win a cup, but made at least two playoff rounds, because it's much profitable able then Stanley cup, because a lot bonuses due to pay and it's not just players all people who is working for hockey club.

@phlfly

Hunter has a very good thing going in the OHL. There were no guarantees he was staying in the first place. It's like Sutters with their Red Deer WHL team. NHL jobs come and go for those guys, but they always go back to the Rebels.

I wouldn't want to be a fan of the team that gets him. Sure he's an amazing talent, but he's also a mind-numbing cancer. I don't know that there has been so selfish a player in the league since Lindross refused to play for the Nordiques ;)