Looking at the Flyers history

Guest idahophilly

The NJ series sucked but only one team out of 30 gets to raise the cup.

Nothing pesonal, Idaho, but I am getting sick to my stomach every time I hear this statement. What does this mean when looking at the Flyers' history? It really souns like a broken record and a build-in excuse for every year this team fails to reach the goal.

Yes, only one team wins. But in 37 years, can the Flyers win at least once? Why can't the Flyers be that one team?

Nothing pesonal, Idaho, but I am getting sick to my stomach every time I hear this statement. What does this mean when looking at the Flyers' history? It really souns like a broken record and a build-in excuse for every year this team fails to reach the goal.

Yes, only one team wins. But in 37 years, can the Flyers win at least once? Why can't the Flyers be that one team?

No offence taken. It does sound like a broken record. It's just a bit of perspective, atleast for me. It it the hardest championship to win. An excuse for a 37 year drought, probably not. But look at all the teams that have never won one or in longer droughts than us. That's all I meant. I took exception to saying this year was pathetic. One could make the argument that every year you don't win the cup is pathetic but I simply choose not to subscribe to that...

It it the hardest championship to win. An excuse for a 37 year drought, probably not. But look at all the teams that have never won one or in longer droughts than us. That's all I meant. I took exception to saying this year was pathetic. One could make the argument that every year you don't win the cup is pathetic but I simply choose not to subscribe to that...

It *is* the hardest championship to win. I don't disagree with that. And one can look at it that way. But I refuse to use a consolation that there are other teams (Washington, Toronto, Ottawa, etc.) who share a similar frustartion or fitility. I don't care about those teams' futility. I really don't. One should always strive for perfection; that's a winner's attitude. When looking at other losing situations and trying to comfort yourself that there are others who are at least *as* bad, that's a recepe for failure and shame... at least the way I was brought up.

Where I do agree with you is that I just don't see how can people call this year pathetic. It was not. But see, the problem is, every year there is something else that stands in the Flyers' way of winning the Cup: injuries, a perceived biased officiating, bad coaching, Lindros, terrible goaltending, lack of epxerience.... there is always SOMETHING. ALWAYS. It's getting nauseatingly old and depressing.

We felt there was a lot to look forward to 4-5 years ago when Carter, Richards, Umberger, Coburn, Upshall looked like a core of young and promising players along with several seasoned veterans to build the team around. Look where we are now: taking comfort in the fact that the "future looks bright". And I am not saying that there is nothing to look forward to - there is. But I am fed up with this "future looks bright" crap. It's time to deliver. After 37 years of "trying", it's time to actually win. Anything less at this point is a failure in my book.

Edited by Mad Dog

I do feel your pain, I really do! And yes, there seems to be 1 or 2 things EVERY year that is either and excuse or really does stand in the way (or really a combination I suspect). Not much more I can say I guess other than you are not alone.

It *is* the hardest championship to win. I don't disagree with that. And one can look at it that way. But I refuse to use a consolation that there are other teams (Washington, Toronto, Ottawa, etc.) who share a similar frustartion or fitility. I don't care about those teams' futility. I really don't. One should always strive for perfection; that's a winner's attitude. When looking at other losing situations and trying to comfort yourself that there are others who are at least *as* bad, that's a recepe for failure and shame... at least the way I was brought up.

Where I do agree with you is that I just don't see how can people call this year pathetic. It was not. But see, the problem is, every year there is something else that stands in the Flyers' way of winning the Cup: injuries, a perceived biased officiating, bad coaching, Lindros, terrible goaltending, lack of epxerience.... there is always SOMETHING. ALWAYS. It's getting nauseatingly old and depressing.

We felt there was a lot to look forward to 4-5 years ago when Carter, Richards, Umberger, Coburn, Upshall looked like a core of young and promising players along with several seasoned veterans to build the team around. Look where we are now: taking comfort in the fact that the "future looks bright". And I am not saying that there is nothing to look forward to - there is. But I am fed up with this "future looks bright" crap. It's time to deliver. After 37 years of "trying", it's time to actually win. Anything less at this point is a failure in my book.

I sympathize with what you're saying. I'm usually right there with you (and still have at least one foot on your boat). But THIS year .. well I didn't think they were built for this year going in (insistence by the team to the contrary--they do have to sell tickets). So with all the rookies, the loss of Pronger, the turnover of the team, etc. I got about as good as *I* was hoping for. Of course, I was hoping for a little bit of dumb luck, but it didn't happen. Unlike when Richards and Carter were rookies and I was promised "the future looks bright," I actually have some hope in it. I didn't care for the Richards/Carter tandem out of the gate and for the only time in 40 years of watching the Flyers I could say I really didn't like the team (I still cheered for the crest, of course).

Given the cards in the hand, I don't think this season was a failure--so long as it continues to build on itself. But yeah, eventually 1/30 should come around to the Flyers since we're approaching 40 years here.

Rux a new President at Central. Did not see your name I guess they just don't know real talent. Speaking of talent Flyers had enough to go around but several members did not step up. Hope all is well.

It *is* the hardest championship to win.

I equate it to making it through Navy Seal basic training. Not everyone who can get through it gets through it, if you know what I mean. Some guys give up sooner than others either because their brains or their bodies quit. Disclaimer: not speaking from personal experience.

is my brain playing tricks one me? I could've sworn I saw the first half of this thread elsewhere, can't remember where, literally word for word. I was going to respond earlier but something came up that took me away and now I'm just getting back. anyway onto my response:

The year in it's totality was hardly pathetic! The NJ series sucked but only one team out of 30 gets to raise the cup. 103 points considering all the issues (all well documented so I won't repeat them AGAIN) is a really good season.

the season as a whole was by far not pathetic. There were certain times during the season where I'd beg to differ but overall this season was indeed a very good season. I hate to wonder if the advertised aspect of our team (strong D and hot new goalie) lived up to their expectations how things would've turned out because it was the unknowns and the way they turned out which really had me excited by what I saw and excited looking forward.

I dogged Schenn early an often. I was disappointed by the limited sample set I got when he was healthy at the beginning of the season with the biggest disappointment being that he didn't really stand out at the rookie game I attended. However, he showed me enough that I'm looking forward to hopefully a full season with him healthy next year. His physical game really surprised me too.

There were plenty of other pleasant surprises as well but I figured I'd bring up Schenn since I was so hard on him early. everyone else it was just a wait and see.

Edited by Spinorama

I dogged Schenn early an often. I was disappointed by the limited sample set I got when he was healthy at the beginning of the season with the biggest disappointment being that he didn't really stand out at the rookie game I attended. However, he showed me enough that I'm looking forward to hopefully a full season with him healthy next year. His physical game really surprised me too.

good for you @Spinorama

crow tastes like ass. as anyone who's ever spouted off on here knows.

10 is pretty good on faceoffs and has a lot more sandpaper to his game than i was expecting...

@Mad Dog I've basically given up. I don't think we will see a cup in our lifetime. I don't think we will ever find a goalie. I will die before I ever see another Flyer hoist the cup. Does not matter how well we draft, how deep the team is, something will stop us, most likely never, ever having a respectable goalie.

There will never be a respectable goalie in Philly, and it is Philly's fault. Seriously. We can bring anyone in here we want to. They'll be good until they get here and will be crucified by a fan base and a media that likes the taste of goalie blood and enjoys goalie/quarterback controversy like a woman enjoys a soap opera. If the goalie isn't completely destroyed, he'll be okay again after he leaves, but any goalie--so long as they are human--will take roughly 2-3 months to be destroyed.

It's why the Eagles will never win a Super Bowl, and it's why the Flyers will never win a Cup, unless they simply get lucky and overcome the goalie like they *almost* did in 2010.

By the way, I said it off-handedly not long ago on here, but I am absolutely convinced that if Pelle Lindberg had not died prematurely, we would have hated his guts before long. No disrespect in any way intended toward Pelle.

@Mad Dog I've basically given up. I don't think we will see a cup in our lifetime. I don't think we will ever find a goalie. I will die before I ever see another Flyer hoist the cup. Does not matter how well we draft, how deep the team is, something will stop us, most likely never, ever having a respectable goalie.

I share your frustration. I almost gave up as well. With the way things have gone, it sure feels like something will always stand in our way to win the Cup. It really does feel that way. But many Flyers fans don't seem to mind that as long as we have a good season and compete hard and have something decent to look forward to........