What Would You Do With Amnesty ...CBA

Guest idahophilly

Timmo- he has one year left and we are weak on D, so he has to stay.

Pronger - LTIR

Bryz- buyout, sign a solid FA goalie like Harding from Minnesota, if we improve the defense all we need is a solid consistent goalie who does not give up weak goals like Bryz. For the $ we are paying him, he is only an average goalie, he is not worth the investment, he is a typical mentally weak Russian who fails when the heat is on.

Briere- Danny is a clutch playoff performer, and a good team player, but if Holmgren get gauge the situattion and we have a shot at Parise, then you buyout Briere and use that $$ to sign Parise.

So in one shot we are rid off all of out long term contracts and free up 16 million in cap space, plus the cap goes up. So if Carle goes elsewhere we also, get 4 million more in cap space We now have plenty of $$ to improve our defense.

We also trade JVR to improve the defense, thats another 4 million in cap space- several possiblities...

Trade him at the draft , and try and land a top 5 pick and draft a stud dman.

Trade him for a top young dman who has been in the league a few years, Schenn, Bogosian, Subban, or some young dman along those lines, PHX has good young dmen as does FLA, maybe they are looking for offense.

With our draft pick we look for a right winger with finishing skills to eventually paly on Girouxs line. In order to fully utilize Girouxs playmaking skills, you need a real finisher who is going to make the most of all the great passes from Giroux.

Trade him for a top young dman who has been in the league a few years, Schenn, Bogosian, Subban

'cept those aren't top young d-men.

schenn, not getting it is it Leaf stink or is his little brother the better hockey player either way not worth JvR, subban is an ass and would be better than carle offensively but way way worse defensively, he makes about a play a game where he passes to the other team in the slot , trade JvR for him ? no thanks. Bogosian don't know enough about him but others have stated that no way does winnepeg let him go, i know he's big and a minus player for his NHL career, so i guess he's a tough cuss.

Larrsson from NJ, Carlson from Wash, Eckman-larsson from Phx, Myers from Buff are top young defenseman. not the clowns you mentioned.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

spend $41mil over the next 8 years with an invalid in goal, or spend $27mil today to put it behind you and find a better path.

wow, looking at it like that it's an angle worth studying. I doubt they'll do it because Bryzgalov had just enough good moments to let him off the hook, meaning if you want to see those moments, if you're predisposed to think "he's worth it he just had a difficult adjustment period" then I can see the suits at Comcast giving Ed a hard time about plunking down $27 million and in effect giving up on their big FA goalie.

And then like you said there's no immediate replacement except Bob and unfortunately Bob did little to inspire confidence this year. I can guess why, so can you, but the numbers aren't pretty. So the Flyers pay out big bucks to rid themselves of Bryzgalov but end up in the same boat they were in last summer. Yikes...I don't see that happening.

@canoli

during a normal offseason, there is absolutely zero way that he would be bought out. summer after year 6 or 7, maybe, but no way after year 1. for all the reasons you mention.

the possibility of a penalty-free buyout period changes that, a little, though. it's a unique enough situation that the convential logic might change a bit. bryzgalov wasn't brought in to be ok, he was brought in to dominate. the salary, the term, the statements from snider around the time of the signing, he was supposed to put the flyers in the conversation for best goaltending in the league. while there can be debate about whether or not he can be an effective goalie for an NHL team with cup aspirations if given a very specific set of ideal circumstances, i think the domination conversation is over. ed snider, and thus comcast, can't have any illusions about what they have invested in at this point. while corporate types don't like to throw money away, they do understand the concept of minimizing losses. if bryzgalov in net makes 2nd round exits almost a certainty going forward..... replacement-wise, no, there is no obvious large scale upgrade sitting around. then again, the lesson of mike smith is that diamonds in the rough is generally how quality goaltending is found. getting out from under bryzgalov and his cap hit starts the conversation for FA test drives and/or trades for promising prospects, e.g., bernier.

the penalty-free buyout concept itself is a pipe dream at this point, imo. the last time it happened was when the cap was implimented and teams needed a way to get their rosters constructed without a cap in mind compliant. with the cap supposed to go up this summer, i have a tough time seeing that happen again. if it does, though, i think it changes all the normal thinking.

@mojo1917, one thing your not taking into account is, defensemen always take longer to develop. Remember Pronger was traded a few years after being drafted. Subban, Schenn and Bogoasian are all skilled, in their own ways, they are just not consistent, same as JVR. All 3 play have played on teams that have not been all that good over the years. So their development will stagnate ,when your a young guy playing defense on a bad team. When we discussed Schenn for JVR with Toronto, it was not going to be a straight up trade, Toronto was giving up more. Bogosian is looking better ,since Winnipeg has improved, who knows if they will trade him or not, it all depends on if they feel they need some offense. Subban is a tool, but he is highly skilled, under the right coaching staff he can become a real good dman. Of course there are other good young dmen that may be better, and id love to have one, i was just mentioning some of the guys who were rumored to be avaialble.The guys you mentioned are all good, but its highly unlikey they will be traded. I also love the dman on FLA Gubranson, but I doubt he is available.

We really need help on defense and JVR is really the only trading chip we have. So it imperative that we get the best guy possible. I really like Bogosian the best of the 3 i listed.

i'm trying to get way in front of my nodl-outscores-jagr thing.

Oh I see, Strategic Communications. Nice.

You know, if you reiterate that prediction for next year, you may have a better chance of being right? Nodl looks like he is right on the cusp of breaking out and Jagr, well he's 40.

@canoli

then again, the lesson of mike smith is that diamonds in the rough is generally how quality goaltending is found. getting out from under bryzgalov and his cap hit starts the conversation for FA test drives and/or trades for promising prospects, e.g., bernier.

A story of Mike Smith is as mystifying as I've ever seen. If it was just a function of him getting an opportunity, which he didn't have before, I would totally undertsand. But this is his 6th season in the NHL. It's not like he is an unknown commodity. He is 29 years old - not 20. He had plenty of opportunities to show his worth, and frankly, all this time till this season he flat out sucked. I can attribute this to playing in Dave Tippett's system, I suppose, but was it really meant to produce a night-and-day difference?

Is Smith a late bloomer? I don't know if there is anything else there to think based on his history.

@Mad Dog

he was pretty decent in dallas behind turco, and fought injury issues in tampa. honestly, i also think he is the beneficiary of a defensive system designed to flatter the goalie. still, watching him in the playoffs, he has some stuff.

That is a pretty interesting question.

The first names that comes to mind are Briere, Bryz, and Pronger.

Pronger will be LTIR and have a minimal cap hit. Plus I would hope and pray that almost a full season off allows him to play again

Briere still has a nice cap hit but he is Danny Playoff and to me for a team that is close, you need that scorer you can depend on come playoffs.

If you go to Cap Geek there are a couple contracts that really stand out both in term and dollars.

JVR just signed the extension but if he ever is healthy and plays to his potential should be worth it.

To me I think it's Bryz you use for amnesty. I still think he can win a Stanley Cup and not sure with the team being close it's wise to drop him but man that contract is a killer.

We still have enough depth and talent to use to acquire another netminder.

I would still give some thought to one problem for another by swapping Bryz for Luongo if it could be done as I think both would benefit from a change of scenery. In Luongo's case I think a change will make him elite again.

In Luongo's case I think a change will make him elite again.

i think the problem with luongo isn't about "again". he's still elite. .919sv% is no joke. he is just amazingly inconsistent at exactly the wrong times, and vancouver is finally tired of it. i wouldn't want him in philly, because we would likely see the same on/off goalie that luongo has always been.

plus, his contract is at least as bad as bryzgalov.

• Like 1

@terp

good points, thanks for the 'splain.

Picking up on another comment I just saw, are you the poster FKA "aziz"? If so, I'm looking forward to the 'splain for the makeover.

Subban is a tool, but he is highly skilled, under the right coaching staff he can become a real good dman.

I would just as soon nail my "Ron Jeremy" to a board as have PK Subban EVER soil the O&B. Tool does not even begin to describe him.....He has an ego that is shadowed by only Crosby's..........

I would just as soon nail my "Ron Jeremy" to a board as have PK Subban EVER soil the O&B. Tool does not even begin to describe him.....He has an ego that is shadowed by only Crosby's..........

I just threw up a bit in my mouth even thinking of Subban in the O&B... He's a punk... A nasty half assed punk...

Is PK Subban incontinent? I hadn't heard that.

Subban? We had Dan Carcillo on this team, and people LIKED HIM! Subban is Carcillo with talent, and lots of it. A good coach and a good room can help straighten this kids head out. I'd take Subban in a heartbeat. If he doesn't stop being a jerk, there's always another team willing to take a chance on that kind of talent.