Once the Defense is Taken Care Of, It's Time to Look for a Pure Goal-Scorer

Guest Irishjim

@Polaris922

my last word on jagr is he was better than i expected, better than a lot of us here expected, his performance dropped off in the NJ series, but hey, the guy played big minutes all year and he's frickin' 40. His play might not have been worth 3.3, but he was worth more than 2, his impact on the team went beyond his play, which I view as value added , and don't know what value to assign to it. his influence on voracek, giroux hartnell plus the rest of the pups on this team will be felt after he's out of the league . these young guys got to see what dedication to fitness and your craft coupled with talent can do, that's something that signing a paul gastaud type for similar money won't get you.

The second is a guy I think we can get. He is young, 24, big (6'1 228), plays big and most importantly, is a Right handed shot. I am talking Chris Stewart of the St. Louis Blues.

He only scored 15 goals last season (which I think is a byproduct of Hitch's defensive style of play) but scored 28 goals in the 09-10 season for the Avs.

He may not be a Hitch type of player (have you ever heard to Patrick Sharp?) and I believe he was a healthy scratch for a playoff game. That's a lot of talent to leave in the press box. Not sure what the deal is but I think it is plausible that he is available. He should be viewed as somewhat of a risk because his trajectory as a pro is very choppy. I read somewhere that his conditioning wasn't great, which would in turn mean that his work habits aren't good, a major black mark if true. He's intriguing but, with all due respect to the creator of the thread, I kind of doubt the Flyers will focus on scoring wingers this off season.

Why does everyone keep thinking that NJ is going to let their young Captain go?????

Ain't going to happen...

...they are cheap but they ain't stupid.

Parise will resign in Jersey.

I do not think its a matter if NJ wants to resign him or not, obviously who ever would not want to resign/sign Parise should go get a cat-scan. I think it is more a matter of him wanting or not wanting to be with NJ, or play in a bigger market, and if that is the case he will not be back in NJ.

yeah, i thought this too, people seemed dead set that he's leaving, the reports i heard was he was going to Minnesota ?? wtf is he from MN ? unless he's said , NJ sucks i don't want to play here anymore, i can't see why they wouldn't give up big $ to keep him, unless they're in cap hell too, which could be the case. if i were about it i'd research it a little but cap geek makes my eyes hurt.

all that to say i agree with you , why would NJ not try to resign, their captain and best player.

Only reason i can think he was rumored to go to Minnesota is that is where he was born. Might want to play in his home town and be "the guy" there?

I would love it if Philly could find a way to get Evander Kane. Fast, scores, and of course is a hard guy to play against. Fights when necessary too.

I think I would have a heart attack if Philly got Kane to play along side giroux, kid is a MONSTER. If you had Giroux, Kane, JVR(Hartnell, Voracek) or whomever that would be one fast, big, point producing line. Only problem i heard about Kane, he has been victimized by the press of having attitude issues, wether that holds true or not is beyond me, just something i heard. If that is true, he would have to get his act straight, but kid defiantly has the talent to be an elite goal scorer with right personnel around him and the right mind frame. Hopefully Flyers take that into consideration and make a series offer sheet for him.

He may not be a Hitch type of player (have you ever heard to Patrick Sharp?) and I believe he was a healthy scratch for a playoff game. That's a lot of talent to leave in the press box. Not sure what the deal is but I think it is plausible that he is available. He should be viewed as somewhat of a risk because his trajectory as a pro is very choppy. I read somewhere that his conditioning wasn't great, which would in turn mean that his work habits aren't good, a major black mark if true. He's intriguing but, with all due respect to the creator of the thread, I kind of doubt the Flyers will focus on scoring wingers this off season.

Excellent reference to Patrick Sharp. I think there is some similarities with the Sharp reference and Stewart. Hitch just does not seem to place much stock in the younger players. Not to mention I get the impression that if you do something he doesn't like one time, you are in the doghouse for a long time.

I think Stewart does have some Patrick Sharp potential. He scored 28 goals with the Avs and did not get first line minutes. To score 15 in limited time with Hitch's system isn't too bad.

I like the fact he would add some size, grit, scoring potential, and a right handed shot to the team. I doubt the Flyers go in that direction but if they are looking at forwards I would hope they would consider Stewart.