Holmgren please acquire Justin Schlutz

Guest hf101

@Podein25

I have not watched him thus much this past year (perhaps @AndyS could provide input), but what I have seen is he seems to still run around allot and is still irresponsible in his own end and when it comes to taking penalties. My point being is that he is not all that and a bag of chips yet, just the ingredients that still need to be cooked and who knows what its going to look or taste like.

he seems to still run around allot and is still irresponsible in his own end and when it comes to taking penalties. My point being is that he is not all that and a bag of chips yet, just the ingredients that still need to be cooked and who knows what its going to look or taste like. is 21 years old.

I'm sure that's what you meant to say. I agree.

• Like 2

@podien25

Actually 22, but who's splitting hairs. I like the kid. I like the grit you mentioned, I like his speed and his potential. I just still see the potential- the same potential I saw in Philly. WAYYYYY to early to give up on him for sure and as a prospect and potential 3/4 dmen, would love to have him back.

Actually 22, but who's splitting hairs.

Umm, you are! (just kidding)

You started with "I don't get the love for Sbisa" and are now saying you'd take him back and like his potential.

My work here is done.

Rather go in another direction sorry without Pronger i just don't like Carle, quote all the stats you like.

I agree on Carle. I just think he is too soft to be cast in a physical role and not offensively gifted enough to be cast in an offensive role. Maybe I'm off base there, but I never was that impressed by Carle to pay him what he is going to get this next contract.

His mistakes always seem to be back-breakers.

Again with the Carle contract talk. Find one remotely reputable article that states what he's looking for. One! The facts are few and far between here, and Carle's agent has kept quiet!

It's almost like people think Carle is worth a lot, but don't want to pay for it. Ironic.

I agree on Carle. I just think he is too soft to be cast in a physical role and not offensively gifted enough to be cast in an offensive role. Maybe I'm off base there, but I never was that impressed by Carle to pay him what he is going to get this next contract.

His mistakes always seem to be back-breakers.

BINGO!!!! You nailed it!

Justin Schultz is a six-foot-two,185-pound, 21 yr old Wisconsin Badgers right-handed defenseman. He has been the highest scoring d-man in the NCAA in the past two consecutive seasons, a two-time WCHA Defensive Player of the Year, and a two-time Hobey Baker Award finalist. He is also considered one of the best – if not the best – defensive prospect in all of hockey.

However he is still the property of the Anaheim Ducks. Schultz was the 43rd pick of the 2008 draft. If the Ducks are unable to come to terms on a contract with Schultz by June 1, he will become an unrestricted free agent this summer. Schultz also could decide to play one more year with Wisconsin.

Holmgren like every other GM in the league is probably awaiting to see what Schultz and the Ducks decides to do. If Anaheim anticipates Schultz may walk, they might also entertain a trade.

More and more quality players are coming out of the NCAA, Schultz would be an excellent acquisition to help build up our defensive core.

Here is some stuff on Shultz and why they may not sign him read on...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Meltzers-Musings-Justin-Schultz/45/44651

Oh well you never know, hopefully after the great season by Read it will make him think the Flyers are a legit shot...

Eh, might as well kick the tires on him, but I wouldn't spend much effort pursuing him. The Flyers have other young defenseman that need opportunity and coaching as it is. A bigger priority needs to be a somewhat experienced workhorse defenseman.

@doom88

Given our terrible track record for drafting and developing D-men, Homer better be more than kicking the tires on Schultz. He's gonna want a one-way contract. Homer got Read because he gave him one. I don't see why Schultz is any different. We desperately need young D-men.

@Podein25

I think the terrible track record in development is primarily due to the lack of organizational patience. Especially considering defenseman take longer than forwards to grow useful.

Now drafting, I have no idea what's wrong with the scouts. You'd think once in a while they would find an NHL defenseman. Who was the last legitimate one, Pitkanen (2002)? Even Seidenberg was 2001.

Sbisa, Bourdon, and Bartilus don't count, yet.

I guess they could draft all defenseman this year and hope one pans out?

I guess they could draft all defenseman this year and hope one pans out?

I've heard of crazier things. And yeah, agreed re lack of patience.

I think we could get a decent one still at the spot we will have in the first round. After that, it's kind of all a crapshoot anyways.

I've heard of crazier things. And yeah, agreed re lack of patience.

I think we could get a decent one still at the spot we will have in the first round. After that, it's kind of all a crapshoot anyways.

Wonder what it would take to land Brian Dumoulin from the Canes, surely something we have can persuade them...

@OccamsRazor

Don't know much about him (Dumoulin)....

(4) Brian Dumoulin, D, 7.5B

Drafted 2nd round, 51st overall, 2009

Three years of college, two NCAA championships and an armful of awards later, Dumoulin finally decided to turn pro. The rangy defenseman was one of the linchpins in Boston College's success the past three seasons, and with just a few classes remaining to earn his degree and nothing more to accomplish at the collegiate level he was ready to make the move. Dumoulin was named Hockey East's top defensive defenseman each of the past two seasons, a consensus first-team performer in the conference in 2011-12, and one of 10 finalists for this year's Hobey Baker Award honoring college hockey's best player.

When Carolina selected him 51st overall in 2009, Dumoulin was the youngest player in his draft class but had impressed at the NHL Scouting Combine with his size. After three years with the Eagles, Dumoulin grew another inch (now 6'4) and is up to 210 pounds. He finished his career at Boston College with 83 points in 123 games, including scoring seven goals and 21 assists for 28 points this season, all team highs among Eagles defenseman. He also helped the United States to a bronze medal at the Under-20 World Junior tournament, registering two assists in six games.

Dumoulin joined the AHL's Charlotte Checkers for the end of the regular season, but did not play and the team was eliminated from a postseason berth after losing its regular season finale. Like Murphy, Dumoulin should compete for a roster spot in 2012-13.

2010-11: Dumoulin was one of the top defensemen in college hockey as a sophomore for Boston College, which captured Hockey East’s regular season and playoff championships. He also competed for the bronze-medal winning USA squad at the 2011 World Junior U-20 championships. Dumoulin had 30 assists (second-most on the Eagles to forward Brian Gibbons) and scored 3 goals with a +23 plus/minus in 37 games. Dumoulin scored two of his three goals on the power play – including a game-winner against Boston University and the fifth goal to seal a 5-3 win over Merrimack in the Hockey East Championship game. In six games for Team USA, he had two assists and a team-best +4 plus/minus.

...the Canes already have Ryan Murphy, Dumoulin and Bobby Clarke's favorite Bobby Saguinetti and embarrassment of riches so we need to build the defensive corp so lets take Dumoulin off their hands the need forward help.

I would love Murphy but he would take a lot to obtain. 6'4" 210 good size and a good upside to build on, Flyers need more size with skating ability on the blueline...worth looking into.

Edited by OccamsRazor

@OccamsRazor

The Flyers still really need a defensemen that shoots right. Kubina was brought in to be that guy, but unfortunately was injured during the playoffs. The Devils were able to pressure the Flyers because they could not successfully move the puck on both sides. That is why Justin Schultz is the hot commodity.

If they are unsuccessful at obtaining Schultz then they should consider acquiring Dennis Wideman in place of Matt Carle.

@OccamsRazor

The Flyers still really need a defensemen that shoots right. Kubina was brought in to be that guy, but unfortunately was injured during the playoffs. The Devils were able to pressure the Flyers because they could not successfully move the puck on both sides. That is why Justin Schultz is the hot commodity.

If they are unsuccessful at obtaining Schultz then they should consider acquiring Dennis Wideman in place of Matt Carle.

Ok then obtain Ryan Murphy instead.

As far as Wideman for Carle i'm not so sure of. The one thing i and many people can't stand about Carle is he a defensive liability...

...so adding Wideman whom i believe is WAY WORSE when it comes to defense doesn't help them, he finished -7 in 14 games this past playoffs, -8 this past regular season and his last year in Florida -26....OOOOOoooooocccccccccchhhhhhhhhhh but NO!

I'd rather resign Carle...before Wideman...i'll pass.

Edited by OccamsRazor