League fires first shot

Guest JackStraw

The NHL has notified the NHLPA that it wants to end the current CBA. Looks like the league is going to want some concessions from the players:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/NHL-fires-first-labor-shot.html

On Wednesday, the NHL officially notified the NHL Players Association (NHLPA) in writing that it would like to terminate the current Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Had either side not notified one another of a desire to terminate the current contract within 120 days of the Sept. 15, 2012 expiration date, the deal would have rolled over into another season.

The NHLPA could have also provided the league with notice, but chose not to do so, apparently ready to accept the status quo.

Let the back-stabbing begin...

Just let it end by early October so the season begins on time. NHL teams have been told to go about their business and normal over the summer.

After the issues of money are settled I'm curious to see if the players can get rid of the back to back games.

@hf101

I don't want to see more gimmicks in an attempt to win fans back to the NHL because they let the collective bargaining get out of hand.

@Phillygrump

Gimmicks is right. Except it wasn't to win fans BACK, it was an attempt to create a sideshow and attract new fans with lotsa scoring and a blasphemous way to break a tie. Bettman could give a **** less about us.

• Like 1

As a victim of a current renegotiation of a contract, I can tell you that today's economy has made employers very bold with the concessions they are after. We had too many people accept the dog turd in a gucci bag of a contract because they were afraid. This contract, people accepted a contract that takes away retirement for new hires as well as uncapping medical costs. Some people are short sighted enough to not realize that within 6 years, new hires are going to out number the old guys. When that happens, guess who then loses the retirement benifits because the have nots outnumber the haves......The Union is going to have to be careful with which fights it chooses and in today's economy, they are going to need to make concessions whether they like it or not.....I just hope it is not to the detriment of the game.....

@hf101

Lets just hope they get everything resolved on time. I don't want to see more gimmicks in an attempt to win fans back to the NHL because they let the collective bargaining get out of hand.

What types of gimmicks? Is this in reference to the shootout? One of the reasons the shootout was put in place was to end tie games in a timely manner. Several overtimes can be very taxing on the players, who I'm sure wish to help minimize the chances to injury. Keep in mind often the games are scheduled with back to backs and 3 games in 4 days.

I also think that in all sports these days a lockout really doesn't lose much fan support.

What types of gimmicks? Is this in reference to the shootout? One of the reasons the shootout was put in place was to end tie games in a timely manner. Several overtimes can be very taxing on the players, who I'm sure wish to help minimize the chances to injury. Keep in mind often the games are scheduled with back to backs and 3 games in 4 days.

I also think that in all sports these days a lockout really doesn't lose much fan support.

I'd rather have ties than shootouts. And yes, that is what I was referring to. The stupid shootout gimmick.

That is not a good way to give one team an extra point. I'd rather see two teams tie instead of battle for 65 mins for one point only t be given another point for a side-show skills competition act.

@hf101

"I'm curious to see if the players can get rid of the back to back games."

Truthfully I could care less about B-2-B during the regular season. But the atrocity that has become the Stanley Cup playoffs is shameful. There is ZERO reason NOT to play B-2-B (other than money of course).