Coburn's Extension Means...

Guest rickmac19

Coburn's extension means

a.) The Flyers have chosen him over Carle and will move Carle or let Carle walk at the end of the year.

b.) The Flyers signed Coburn at the right market price and, locked up in an NHL deal, will trade him.

c.) The Flyers have secured Coburn and will seek to sign Carle to an extension as well.

What think you, Flyers faithful?

A.

They have Walker, Lilja, and Gus to occupy the 5th and 6th spots next year, Hartnell gets resigned, Timo comes off the books, and they have roughly 8.5-10 mil to sign Weber. Which gives us Mezo, Pronger, Coburn, Weber, Gus, and ? ( maybe Walker) for the 2013- 14 season.

Do you think the Flyers can jam both of their raises under the cap, and if so, do you see someone else's salary coming off the cap?

I really don't know. We have no idea of the salary cap raise for next year nor if Jagr will be re-uping with us. Then there are trades (Hartnell) and any number of other un-foreseen possibilities.

A. Gustavsson will take Carle's spot next year if not sooner by the deadline.

If we're lucky, i don't see Gustavsson stepping into top 4 minutes next year, maybe not ever. Carle might not be your boy ,play the way you'd like to see him play, but he doesn't suck, in fact he does a lot of things well. Gustavsson's size might be bitch kitty in the equation, i like his speed and hockey sense but if people are dogging Carle for being pushed around ...how's gus going to handle malkinstien, staal, ovechkin and other big skilled forwards that are in our conference.

If we're lucky, i don't see Gustavsson stepping into top 4 minutes next year, maybe not ever. Carle might not be your boy ,play the way you'd like to see him play, but he doesn't suck, in fact he does a lot of things well. Gustavsson's size might be bitch kitty in the equation, i like his speed and hockey sense but if people are dogging Carle for being pushed around ...how's gus going to handle malkinstien, staal, ovechkin and other big skilled forwards that are in our conference.

Size don't matter if he's got body positioning. Example is Kimmo who made a career out of it. Gustavsson needs to get stronger, people aren't dogging Carle for being push around. It's his bonehead plays and TOs that drive us crazy, he'll make a great play then turn around and erase it. If Pronger can make Carle look great I'm sure he can make Gustavsson look good. I think he'll complement Pronger slow skating with his speed well.

Carle getting pushed around is complaint #1 against him from the past, so forgive my standard Carle answer... 25 doesn't look as comfortable with the puck this year, i've said this else where, a lot of the time he looks rushed even when he's not being pressured directly not sure what's going on there, he's made some nice plays in the games i've watched and has had the real bad turnovers at the worst times too. maybe he's pressing ?

If I hear one more person talk about Weber I'll scream! We CAN'T afford him. I think he's making 7.5 mil this year and will WANT a raise. 8.0-8.5 mil??? No way! Not for one player! Let some other stupid team wrap that much up in him. Jeez, people are upset with our 6.0-6.5 mil contracts we have now (or as low as 4.2 mil for hartnell)... Weber at 8.0/8.5 mil means bye bye to some BIG players.

maybe he's pressing ?

No idea why he's pressing for, he's trying to be someone he's not? I don't think we expect him to be a all star dman, we just want to watch a steady play from him with some offense from time to time. I expected him to be a way better player than he is now, he should've learned something from being Prongers partner the last few years. I don't expect him back at all for over 4mil a year. I rather keep Mez at that salary, he brings alot more to the table than Carle.

Coburn's extension means

a.) The Flyers have chosen him over Carle and will move Carle or let Carle walk at the end of the year.

b.) The Flyers signed Coburn at the right market price and, locked up in an NHL deal, will trade him.

c.) The Flyers have secured Coburn and will seek to sign Carle to an extension as well.

What think you, Flyers faithful?

I think with both becoming free agents at the end of the year that it means the Flyers are choosing to sign Coburn and will let Carle walk OR my preference would be trade him.

My thought is that the Flyers defense is too one dimensional with the majority being mobile, puck carrying guys with not enough physicality and stay at home defenseman types.

Lets face it, when Pronger isn't on the ice there is no defenseman that opposing forwards fear in crashing the net and the crease.

My thought was to trade Carle who is a free agent at the end of the year for Barrett Jackman, who is also a free agent. The salaries are basically awash and in exchange for Carle we add Jackman who adds toughness, a physical presence, leadership, and a great team player to the mix. It also helps to diversify the defensive corps so you still have your mobile puck carrying guys with Kimo and Coburn, a tweener in Mez, and two physical guys with Pronger and Jackman.

If the team isn't happy with the contributions that Jackman makes, they let him walk at the end of the year.

If I hear one more person talk about Weber I'll scream! We CAN'T afford him. I think he's making 7.5 mil this year and will WANT a raise. 8.0-8.5 mil??? No way! Not for one player! Let some other stupid team wrap that much up in him. Jeez, people are upset with our 6.0-6.5 mil contracts we have now (or as low as 4.2 mil for hartnell)... Weber at 8.0/8.5 mil means bye bye to some BIG players.

Take Timonen and Shelley off the books and that pays Weber. You telling me that doesn't make us better both defensively and offensively? Heck, losing Shelley on his own makes us better.

Before last June would you have said they could have afforded Bryzgalov at 5 plus and Jagr at 3.3? Moves can be made to accomodate a Weber.

Hartnell comes off (4.2) Carle not resigned (3.4)

4.2 plus 3.4 equals 7.6.

See how easy that was?

Timonen has another year after this. Voracek will need to be resigned, or traded.

Exactly. But after next season, both Kimo and Hartnell come off the cap which will free up over $10 million in cap space. I really hope we make some kind of play for Weber or Suter. One angle no one has considered yet and that is "did the Flyers sign Coburn to a reasonable deal to make him more attractive for a trade"? Could signing Coburn be used to possibly go to Nashville and use him a piece for Weber or Suter? The Preds can't afford to keep them both and likely tie up $14 million in cap space on two defensemen; especially when almost their entire defensive corp is scheduled to RFA's or UFA's at the end of the season.

Won't Nashville do everything they can to lock up Weber? The Preds don't have much but they have Weber and Ryan Suter (for now anyway). With Pekka Rinne you've got a solid beginning of a good hockey team. I don't see them giving up any of them if they can prevent it.

Won't Nashville do everything they can to lock up Weber? The Preds don't have much but they have Weber and Ryan Suter (for now anyway). With Pekka Rinne you've got a solid beginning of a good hockey team. I don't see them giving up any of them if they can prevent it.

They supposedly have an "internal" ownership "cap" that would make that possibility a pretty good reach.

Well they face several issues. One they are a small market team with an ownership imposed cap limit. Two is their defensive situation.

After this season basically all of their defense is up for grabs. With a team that has two star defenseman, one of them will be available. Not to mention that they have to plan for the possibility that despite having RFA's, that another GM could tender them an offer sheet.

So given their cap restrictions and the fact they could lose all of their defense (in theory) it makes one of Weber or Suter ripe for the picking. The Flyers really need to call them and ask if there would be any interest in trading Weber or Suter and what would they want in return. We've dealt with them before and they would be smart to see what they can acquire or risk losing both.

Weber, Shea » $7,500,000

RFA Suter, Ryan » $3,500,000

UFA Bouillon, Francis » $1,350,000

UFA Klein, Kevin » $1,350,000 $1,350,000

UFA Blum, Jonathon » EL

icon_10chart_bonus.png $941,667

RFA Laakso, Teemu » $675,000

RFA Hillen, Jack » $650,000

RFA

I agree with Mojo1917 that Carle has looked shaky in some situations he's handled with ease before this season. Not sure why but he's such a level headed guy that I think he'll work his way out of it.

Unless the Flyers cook up something out of left field, Carle is perhaps the biggest loose end on the roster right now. I have a really hard time imagining the Flyers:

a. unloading Timonen

b. taking on another mega contract

c. trading Carle at the deadline without having secured a solid top 4 to replace him

d. extending Carle for the money they are paying Coburn

I have a feeling the Flyers FO is as perplexed about this one as we are. Carle is a fine player but ideally they would like someone better rounded in his spot. They like his puck handling but would like to add some more muscle and more consistent offense. The question becomes can they afford an upgrade? If they can, that player probably comes in the form of a cheaper and less experienced player who, with the change of scenery, can quickly develop into an upgrade. Not sure who that player might be.

Edited by terp