Flyers In Overtime

Guest OH1FlyersFan

It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that if the Flyers have to go to a shootout, they will lose. But has anyone else noticed their tendency, in overtime, to get off to a great start, look really good, control the puck, put pressure on the opposing team, dictate play, but then give it up so that the opposing team can come down and score on what's usually their first shot on goal? It's maddening. If we can win in regulation, then our chances drop dramatically. I just don't know what we do about that. It's maddening.

It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that if the Flyers have to go to a shootout, they will lose. But has anyone else noticed their tendency, in overtime, to get off to a great start, look really good, control the puck, put pressure on the opposing team, dictate play, but then give it up so that the opposing team can come down and score on what's usually their first shot on goal? It's maddening. If we can win in regulation, then our chances drop dramatically. I just don't know what we do about that. It's maddening.

I pretty much missed the majority of the third and OT because I got distracted by PSU. But I watched the OT goal on TSN and can't tell who was back on that play and did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. I mean, he just backed himself up to the side of the net and let the Tampa player just waltz in there and wait for the pass/rebound almost completely unchecked. That was pathetic. Anyone know who that was?

A lot of the Flyers loss is because Lavi doesn't use whats available. Tampa put their best checkers out against the top lines and it worked. The Flyers are still too soft! Tampa got away with a ton of uncalled interference ,the officials didn't notice. Lavi,with two HOF guys,a bunch of first rounders,and a fifty-one million dollar goalie, is not doing the job! Q

Versus even highlighted one of the times when Bryz stuck out his stick as a Bolt player was skating by the net. The guy didn't have the puck, he wasn't even going for the puck...

Must've been payback for something but it was dumb - just as dumb as Hartnell's leg-sweep late in the game.

Versus even highlighted one of the times when Bryz stuck out his stick as a Bolt player was skating by the net. The guy didn't have the puck, he wasn't even going for the puck...

It was Stamkos and he got took a wrap around shot that almost went in the net. Not only was he going for the puck, he GOT the puck.

At the beginning of OT, when the Flyers were dominating, I had a strong feeling the Lightning were going to come down and pop one in. Deja Vu again.

That overtime was frustrating... I totally agree; Flyers came out and looked great in the OT!... And the only time TB gets it in the zone--SCORE! Wow, that was tough to watch.

I also thought Flyers had a chance to keep it from going to OT if they would have played the Jagr line on the PP. Also, once again Hartnell hurt our chances in the 3rd period with the penalties... Flyers did look outstanding in the PK though in the 3rd period.

Tough loss all the way around; glad we salvaged 1 point.

I still don't know how I feel about our chances for post-season success yet. It's way early I know; but, the team has me on the fence as far as greatness goes. One game they look awesome and then on another, they look beat. Overall, I'm encouraged--they are doing better at this point overall than I expected.

Biggest surprise for me is Jagr--he's doing much better that I thought.

And, on another note--I still can't believe how great this forum is...

Edited by PhlyersPhan

But I watched the OT goal on TSN and can't tell who was back on that play and did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. I mean, he just backed himself up to the side of the net and let the Tampa player just waltz in there and wait for the pass/rebound almost completely unchecked. That was pathetic. Anyone know who that was?

Rux -- it was Mezaros. He is not off to a great start this year; I was expecting more from him.

>>Mezaros.

Agree.... 5 seconds of brain dead can give a game away.

Like I've said before... I don't think Lavy can coach good D. Players are out of position way too often and don't take out bodies. Any time the O can get set up... it looks like we're on the short side of a power play.

Rux -- it was Mezaros. He is not off to a great start this year; I was expecting more from him.

plus coburn got juked pretty hard just inside the blue line, it was pretty good move by (Moore ?) so he was playing catch up and not really able to shot block or lift the puck carriers stick... all in all it was pretty disheartening, to have the ice tilted our way and lose on the first rush by the bolts. in soccer we said "unlucky" but it still stinks.

second that, not sure what happened since the end of last season where I thought he looked great

Meszaros did have wrist surgery in the off season. So it is possible that it is just taking him a bit longer to get back to normal.