Alexander Sulzer Re-signs 1 Year Deal

Guest Pegulaville26

After an impressive post deadline performance with the Sabres Alexander Sulzer has resigned a one year $725,000 dollar deal according to capgeek. Sulzer found a home on the Sabres blue line with fellow German Ehrhoff. He had 8 points in 15 games and was a +2. The Sabres blue line is now crowded with 8 NHL defenseman (Ehrhoff, Sulzer, Sekera, Leopold, Regher, Myers, Weber, and McNabb). Let the speculation begin on which defender will be wearing a new sweater next season.

I think the Sabres' D depth is a better asset than it may be given credit. Wouldn't surprise me to see McNabb/Weber spend some time in the A pending waiver status and injuries.

Also like the length of the deals for the core of the D (aside from Ehrhoff...)

This gives a lot of flexibility to acquire some forward depth.

Gaustad back in Buffalo?

Very unlikely, Sabres trying to install a new core. Roy probably next to be shown the door of the "old" core.

Vanek/Pominville/Stafford are all signed for at least the next two years - that's about as "old core" as you can get, isn't it?

Roy's obviously out next as he's UFA after next season.

Capgeek has them with $5.7M needing to resign RFAs Ennis and Kaleta and likely add a Top 6 somehow.

I like Ennis/Gerbe/McCormick/Hodgson as a new "young core" and Adam/Foligno coming up?

I do think Gaustad would be good in the room and on the ice if you can get him for under $3M.

Vanek/Pominville/Stafford are all signed for at least the next two years - that's about as "old core" as you can get, isn't it?

Roy's obviously out next as he's UFA after next season.

Capgeek has them with $5.7M needing to resign RFAs Ennis and Kaleta and likely add a Top 6 somehow.

I like Ennis/Gerbe/McCormick/Hodgson as a new "young core" and Adam/Foligno coming up?

I do think Gaustad would be good in the room and on the ice if you can get him for under $3M.

You can't remove the entire core in one season (Vanek Pominville Miller Roy). Stafford is only 26 I don't consider part of that old core being moved out. Like I said Roy is likely next, Pominville has the "C" so he's not leaving, Vanek is the top scorer, and Miller is the franchise face/goalie. Ennis likely signs a one year deal to get more money next year with a full season and Kaleta isn't a definate resign with Tropp in the mix. However I think he is back on another one year deal as well. 5.7 now + plus the cap goes up 3 per usual and you move Roy's 4 million out now your sitting at about 12 with 8 NHL D-men. If you want to get greedy and say Leopold or Sekera is moved in a big trade your at about 15 million in cap space. Plenty of room to explore the FA market (Parise) or look for a whale of a center in the trade market.

• Like 1