NHL returns to the Clutch &Grab Era?

Guest The Quigster

After another game of Picks,Hooks,all types of interference from the whole team including Brodeur,none called by the officials,I have to assume its a return to Uhockey. If the Rangers get slightly physical (Prust on Volchenokov),outstanding embellishment "V". They get nailed for very insiginifigant contact. I "gotta think the Fix is in",Canadian style. Tim Donaghy would be proud"Keep shavin guys". Where is Kerry Fraser when you need him? Did anybody notice Elias when he was slashed in the legs?

This is what I was saying in the "Defense Wins Championships" thread. As soon as the Flyers embrace an offense driven system the pendulum swings the other way. When we tried to go all Defense (post lockout) we got our butts handed to us by the Sabres and then had our worst year ever.

Edited by Poulin20

This is what I was saying in the "Defense Wins Championships" thread. As soon as the Flyers embrace an offense driven system the pendulum swings the other way. When we tried to go all Defense (post lockout) we got our butts handed to us by the Sabres and then had our worst year ever.

we need to get ahead of this curve.

@Polaris922

"Clutch + Grab = Suck"

Add into it that obstruction / interference seems to have gone by the wayside as well. I just don't understand it. I know its an extremely difficult job to be a ref / linesmen, but to have things revert so easily seems weird to me.

I mean it is the one step forward, four steps backward thing.

The thing that confuses me is that Refs / Linesman should have a white board that says, here are our priorities to watch for. I am being totally tongue in check because you shouldn't need a effing white board. I am not a member of TSN.ca, but I might just have to join to e-mail Kerry Fraser on this so he posts an article. It is absolutely ridiculous how easy the "rules" change.

I don't care if how they call a game changes year to year, but to change game to game and on a time stamp is absurd. Its like there is a white board in the refs / linesman room. Tonight here are out top three things we are going to watch / call for.

Fraser was one of the worst refs I can remember. He's absolutely vilified here in Pittsburgh, with maybe Devorski a close second. The Penguins have often been a team with skilled players, from Lemieux, Francis and Jagr through Jagr and Kovalev, now with Crosby and Malkin. Playing teams like the Devils who practically drag everyone to a stop through the years has been frustrating as can be. It seems the NHL wants things to be so competitive that they allow lesser talented players to just bear hug and hold on to all-stars every game, from any team. It's disgusting to watch and I think it keeps the game from growing in popularity.

@Polaris922

Fraser was one of the worst refs I can remember. He's absolutely vilified here in Pittsburgh, with maybe Devorski a close second.

interesting. I thought Fraser and Devorski called a rather fair game.

So I guess then Auger is one of the Penguins favorite refs now.

@Polaris922

interesting. I thought Fraser and Devorski called a rather fair game.

So I guess then Auger is one of the Penguins favorite refs now.

Actually not many Pens fans talk about refs individually anymore. I don't like or dislike any as individuals now, just the way the league's enforcing or not enforcing in general annoys me these days. We all hate the clutch/grab crap, but the refs seem to ignore it as a whole these days. The days of individual referee hatred seem to have passed here for now.

Stephane Auger refs the worst imo. He has a way of making sure the players know that he is in charge, calling penalties at the most deflating times. Might as well add another Loss when Auger referees the Flyers.