Flyers fire Joe Paterson as coach of the Phantoms

Guest Samifan

Any predictions on their next head coach? Does Riley Cote get promoted? My guess is the next coach of the Phantoms will be.............Jody Shelley! Jody was a good lockerroom guy just like Cote and that got him an immediate coaching job, so why not Shelley.

(Responses as sarcastic as this original post are greatly appreciated)

I know a lot of this is tongue in cheek from you guys, but guys that struggle to stay in the league or have to fight to stay in the league , love the game and often study it so they can continue to do what they love. it's the old them's that can't, teach effect, shelley might be a decent coach, there is no questioning his love of the sport,

i'd love to see the flyer bring bob hartley into the mix, he's a good coach , has won at every level, is a good teacher, can help prepare the youngsters to be professionals and would keep the pressure on laviolette to maintain excellence. he was excellent in his time with hershey in the 90's so good he got promoted to the Av's and won a cup eventually.

I think they might give Sammuelsson a shot at the HC..He is the most tenured with the Phantoms and this could be his shot...that said, I would like Lappy but I would like to see him in a less strenuous role at least initially.

How about grooming Bob Boughner as the heir apparent to Lavi? One of the best coachs in the OHL, has pro experience in Columbus as an asst. Coach....would be a perfect fit. Windsor's loss would be the Phantoms gain.

@mojo1917

Bob Hartley? Really?

The guy has not coached ANY team at the professional level since being fired from Atlanta. He JUST (in march) got a coaching job for the ZSC Lions (the pro team in Switzerland). If a guy can't get ANY coaching job for FIVE years and takes a pros SWISS team coaching job- doesn't that tell you something? There is a huge back story there somewhere.

Pass on Hartley- thanks!

@jammer2

Boughner was recently an assistant coach in Columbus, only to return to Windsor. Sounds like he wants to stay there, or is there more to that jammer?

Let me see, I can be an assistant coach for the WORST.TEAM.EVER. or I can go work with a bunch of up and coming talent without the attitudes.........Dale Hunter says HELLO......... :huh:

@mojo1917

Bob Hartley? Really?

The guy has not coached ANY team at the professional level since being fired from Atlanta. He JUST (in march) got a coaching job for the ZSC Lions (the pro team in Switzerland). If a guy can't get ANY coaching job for FIVE years and takes a pros SWISS team coaching job- doesn't that tell you something? There is a huge back story there somewhere.

Pass on Hartley- thanks!

right he's been away for a while and would have fresh eyes... :D

i saw him on tv at the memorial cup, he was being interviewed as having a consultant's role for the Shawinigan Cataractes and thought I wonder if he'd be interested in getting back into coaching ?

not really sure what happened to him in Atlanta...was he the coach when heatly killed that guy in his sports car ?

@mojo1917

Yes he was, but has zero culpability in that. I mean maybe the guy needed a break. Who knows. But to be out of ANY hockey coaching position for 5 years says something- especially when his NEXT coaching job is a Swiss pro team (nothing against the swiss or pro hockey there). I mean really?? Crap, he has to be certainly better than what Columbus has! He has a ring for xxxxx sakes!

@mojo1917

Yes he was, but has zero culpability in that. I mean maybe the guy needed a break. Who knows. But to be out of ANY hockey coaching position for 5 years says something- especially when his NEXT coaching job is a Swiss pro team (nothing against the swiss or pro hockey there). I mean really?? Crap, he has to be certainly better than what Columbus has! He has a ring for xxxxx sakes!

Maybe Hartley just needed to get away. Between a player death, attempting to coach a young Kovalchuk, and hockey in Atlanta...could you really blame him?