Cup Question

Guest Samifan

Does Gagne need to play at least one game in the playoff to get his name on the cup?

I believe so. He has not played the required minimum 40 games this season.

Maybe they have a way of making an exception?

Maybe they have a way of making an exception?

i seem to remember something about the team having a certain number of spots to use at their discretion, with no qualifications. i don't remember the specifics, and could be totally wrong, but........

Prior to 1977 only players who had completed the Stanley Cup playoffs were eligible to have their name inscribed on the Stanley Cup.[48] Currently, a player must have played at least 41 games for the championship team during the regular season (provided the player remains with the team when they win the Cup) or played in at least one game of the Stanley Cup Finals. However, since 1994 teams have been permitted to petition the NHL Commissioner, to be considered on a case-by-case basis, to engrave a player's name on the cup if the player was unavailable to play due to "extenuating circumstances".[49] For example, The Detroit Red Wings received special permission from the NHL to inscribe the name of Vladimir Konstantinov, whose career ended after a car accident on June 13, 1997, on the Stanley Cup after Detroit defended their title in 1998.

The Kings will be allowed to issue a few exceptions to have names engraved on the cup, just as many teams have done in the past. Konstantinov is one of the more famous examples of the petition process, however, more recent examples include Mike Zigomanis for Pitt in 08-09, Derek Meech for Detroit in 07-08, Darren Rumble and Stan Neckar in 03-04 for Tampa, and Brian Muir in 00-01 for Colorado. I think Gagne will be a prime candidate for name engraving what with the substantial career he has had. I think it would be a travesty not to include it if they win.

@Samifan

"Prior to 1977 only players who had completed the Stanley Cup playoffs were eligible. Today, players appearing in 41 regular-season games or one Stanley Cup Final game for the championship team have their names engraved on the Cup. The NHL makes exceptions for players who do not meet the standard because of injury or other extenuating circumstances."

Take a look at the last sentence.

Regarding your comment, hockey players are hugely prideful people and I would bet my life savings that Gagne would NOT want to be dressed as a token just to get his name on the cup. However, if his teammates and management (Lombardi and Hextall- of which both have links to his Flyers years) lobbied on his behalf to the NHL to get his name on, he would be humbly thankful.

I don't have any source, but I think Gagne is done. So, it would be a swan song farewell for him and a very nice thing to do- especially since he has played with Carter, Richards and Williams.