Kings, Coyotes differ sharply on Brown's hit

Guest Irishjim

<object width="640" height="360" id="evp" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/flex/images/evp.swf" /><param name="flashVars" value="id=178896&img=http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/www/thumbs/178896_eb.jpg&related=dpid:35&locprogimg=http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&prs=http://ad.doubleclick.net/pfadx/inline.tv/mainvideo;pos=videoplay;sz=480x270;tile=1" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed name="evp" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/flex/images/evp.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" flashVars="id=178896&img=http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/www/thumbs/178896_eb.jpg&related=dpid:35&locprogimg=http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&prs=http://ad.doubleclick.net/pfadx/inline.tv/mainvideo;pos=videoplay;sz=480x270;tile=1"></embed></object>

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Dustin Brown's controversial hit of Michal Rozsival -- just seconds before Game 5 ended -- will be one of the touchstone moments of this Western Conference Finals.

8470606.jpg

medium.png

DUSTIN BROWN

RIGHT WING - LAK

GOALS: 7 | ASST: 9 | PTS: 16

SOG: 49 | +/-: 13

Brown, the Los Angeles' Kings captain, caught Rozsival at the L.A. blue line with a body check that left the Coyotes defenseman unable to continue. After lying on the ice for several minutes, he was helped to the dressing room.

No penalty was called on the play, but the Coyotes believed the hit was both late -- delivered after a whistle for offsides -- and dangerous because of what they believed to be knee-on-knee contact initiated by Brown.

"I haven’t seen really seen a highlight of it," Brown said minutes after Dustin Penner scored at 17:42 of overtime to give the Kings a 4-3 win and guarantee them a trip to the Stanley Cup Final. "Rozsival is cutting to the middle, and I cut across and made contact. Obviously. they thought it was kneeing. It happened at high [speed], but I thought I got him with my shoulder, or my whole left side made contact with his right side -- from toe to shoulder."

The Coyotes were irate about the lack of a call and never seemed to get refocused.

Penner's goal, a rebound of a shot by Jeff Carter, came just 12 seconds after Rozsival was helped off the ice. The Kings won the faceoff at their own blue line and Slava Voynov played the puck off the boards. It hopped over the stick of Keith Yandle and was claimed by Penner; he passed to Carter, who got off a testing shot. Phoenix goalie Mike Smith made one of his 47 saves but left a rebound in the slot for Penner, who shoveled it home for the biggest goal of his career.

Yandle admitted that the Coyotes never settled down after the perceived injustice.

"We have to take some of the blame," Yandle said. "We didn't settle down and just keep playing. It's something where we could have just settled down and kept on playing."

Instead their season ended.

After it was over, both captain Shane Doan and Smith confronted the officials, complaining bitterly about the non-call. Each was given a game misconduct for their protestations.

"It is an emotional game out there," Brown said. "You give them the benefit of the doubt. Their season just ended and they’re upset and emotions can boil over."

Phoenix's emotions continued to boil over into the handshake line. Both Martin Hanzal and Doan had some pointed words for Brown as he navigated his way through the line.

Again, Brown took the high road.

"I’m not really going to comment on it," he said.

that looked pretty bad to me,

i didn't see this before now. it was offsides, whistles were blowing, it was knee on knee...

i suspect Mr Brown will be getting a call from Shanny.

I posted the same topic with just the video in LA Kings. I do find his "I’m not really going to comment on it," ludicrous. I used to think he was a pretty good hockey player. After watching his antics to draw penalties and hits like this one, I am changing my opinion of him.....

that looked pretty bad to me,

i didn't see this before now. it was offsides, whistles were blowing, it was knee on knee...

i suspect Mr Brown will be getting a call from Shanny.

According to the NHL, no call coming from Shanny for a late knee on knee hit that required a player to be carried off the ice......Way to keep people guessing Shanny....

Sure did make for an uncomfortable handshake line eh? You know, I saw the replay 20 times last night, it's a tough call.....it doesn't appear to me that he lead with his with his knee, was it knee on knee or thigh on thigh? Yeah it was after the whistle but did he really have time to pull up? It was an awkward looking collision but **** happens. I'm not a ref and I'm not Shanahan's puppeteer, so I guess I can let everybody else argue it out. Although I will concede that Rinaldo would have received a lifetime ban on the spot.

As far as I'm concerned that play was the "game winner". The Yotes were still a bit stunned and incredulous at the non-call, and the Kings buried it after the next face off. If Brown were a Flyer we'd be singing his praises today as warrior who changed the game in a heartbeat and led his team to victory.

the only thing wrong with it is that it's a cheap play. the whistle had blown well enough before the hit and he could have held up or tried to avoid contact as it was a very obvious off-sides. i dunno. i didn't think it was a blatant knee on knee, but i guess i can see both sides of it. i just think he could have held up on it. he's a great hockey player, brown. quite an agitator, he gets guys really pissed off and gets them off their game. phoenix was clearly off their game after that one.

the only thing wrong with it is that it's a cheap play. the whistle had blown well enough before the hit and he could have held up or tried to avoid contact as it was a very obvious off-sides. i dunno. i didn't think it was a blatant knee on knee, but i guess i can see both sides of it. i just think he could have held up on it. he's a great hockey player, brown. quite an agitator, he gets guys really pissed off and gets them off their game. phoenix was clearly off their game after that one.

Especially Rozsival....he was so far off that he was not even on the ice......

• Like 1

I think people are making way too much out of the hit. It wasn't as bad as it looked.

Heck, he took Kopitar out in the same collision.

And there were plenty of bad calls both ways late in that game. The refs seemed like they were on a mission to screw over Drew Doughty - even gave him a BS penalty during the OT. How much more help did the Coyotes want?

There was just no way that the Coyotes were going to beat LA. To try to blame it on the refs (which they sounds like they are doing, especially Smith) is just ridiculous.

The refs seemed like they were on a mission to screw over Drew Doughty - even gave him a BS penalty during the OT.

After the puck goes past, you can not intentionally go out of your way to block someone from the puck. If Doughty had the position of himself between the puck and the Phoenix player then no call but that is not what happened....Doughty changed direction and grabbed the Phoenix player to not let him get to the puck. That is interference, plain and simple. Now he did get screwed on the offsides call later that period but he also should have been tossed for his display on the ice after he was called for the interference.

It looked like Brown was more focused on putting his shoulder into him and the leg on leg was incidental. The fatigue of both players and perhaps Rozsival holding up for the offsides may also have been factors. I would not call it so much dirty as unfortunate.

It looked like Brown was more focused on putting his shoulder into him and the leg on leg was incidental. The fatigue of both players and perhaps Rozsival holding up for the offsides may also have been factors. I would not call it so much dirty as unfortunate.

My take is he could have seriously lessened the impact but chose not to. He made sure he finished the hit even though the offsides was very obvious and it did not help that Roszival was already tangled up with a King at the time. Unfortunate, not really. Brown intended to finish his hit and did. I hope he thinks the same when Doan destroys him next year with a similar hit.....

My take is he could have seriously lessened the impact but chose not to.

Listen to the whistle on the play. Brown had a fraction of a second to make that decision in a sudden death playoff. What you are saying is impossible.

Listen to the whistle on the play.

Technically correct on the whistle, the problem is other than Brown, both teams knew it was off sides and were letting up and he did not. IMHO it was an unnecessary hit. A cheap shot in my book if not necessarily against the rules. I think it stood out so much due to his on/over the edge play. Do you think a Flyer gets away with the same hit with no call?

Technically correct on the whistle, the problem is other than Brown, both teams knew it was off sides and were letting up and he did not.

I'm not able to hold it against a guy who plays until he hears a whistle, especially in a game like that.

@mojo1917

I have a few points on this.

1) The hit was not knee on knee. Browns knee hit the upper inner thigh of Rozsival. Unfortunately, Rozsivals leg was locked, but it was not a knee on knee. It was a knee on thigh.

2) Brown was GLIDING into the Rozsival. Not a single step or skate movement was made for over 8 feet.

3) See if you can even think the word one let alone say it before you hear the offside whistle blow.

4) A penalty should have been called and it probably should have been a 5 min major AND a game misconduct, but NOT for the the "knee" load of crap everyone says. It should of been for the the INTENTIONAL elbow to the head by Brown to Rozsival!

This is a bang bang play milliseconds after the whistle.

I think it's a cheap hit, but I don't think he'll get anything for it.

it happened quick but then again, that's what replay is for. Maybe he doesn't get penalized for it in game but just because the refs missed it shouldn't mean the league then ignores it. I'd like the league change their approach and not take into consideration what the refs called or whatever. If it's a nasty play,then they should review it on it's own merits after the game. the refs missed it and therefor it didn't impact the game but the player should ALWAYS be held responsible and the way the league justifies punishing one player and then letting another player off the hook is ridiculous.

Edited by Spinorama
  • Like 1

by the way, my last two posts were more in reference to the league and how they handle things and how it irritates me. for the play itself it doesn't seem to be all that bad. yeah he probably had time to adjust his course or let up or whatever. The part that does stick out to me though is not the result (whether it was knee on knee or knee on thigh), it's the fact that he was blatantly leading with his elbow AND knee and to me that demonstrates intent. But the league like to punish results not intent

@Spinorama

" I'd like the league change their approach and not take into consideration what the refs called or whatever. If it's a nasty play,then they should review it on it's own merits after the game. "

Two points on this:

1) The league are the ones that employ the Refs / Linesman. So to "independently" (ie. without provocation by media / fan uproar) review would be a disservice to the integrity of the league and their appointments of aforementioned staff they employ. Doesn't make it right, but it is the reality.

2) Since the days of "mr video" (RIP), teams "send" in tapes of plays that they believe flagrant and erroneously called / not called. In the end, how much of that falls on deaf "ears" just to save face??

After the puck goes past, you can not intentionally go out of your way to block someone from the puck. If Doughty had the position of himself between the puck and the Phoenix player then no call but that is not what happened....Doughty changed direction and grabbed the Phoenix player to not let him get to the puck. That is interference, plain and simple. Now he did get screwed on the offsides call later that period but he also should have been tossed for his display on the ice after he was called for the interference.

Are you kidding? Doughty had the inside position and was going after the puck. That was a terrible call & he had every right to be upset about it.

Are you kidding? Doughty had the inside position and was going after the puck. That was a terrible call & he had every right to be upset about it.

Andy, I have no emotional investment with either team involved so I am not taking sides. Did the same referees let them get away with the same thing earlier in the game? Probably so but that doesn't change what is the proper call. Doughty ignored the puck and then played the man trying to get to the puck. He took his hand off the stick and wrapped it around the Phoenix player and then took him to the wall not allowing him to pursue the puck. The key is the puck was past him/them when he took the man. Last time I checked, that is an interference call.