One year-ish, so far.

Guest doom88

So I've been around you guys for a little over a year now and thought I'd dig up that first post (from philly.com):

Hi! I've lurked here for a few years, finally signed up after game 3 at Boston, but there is that 48 hour rule before posting on this forum. I didn't feel like posting after 48 hours, nor cleaning the house with a broom for that matter.

I am relatively young, and became a Flyers fan under the Lindros era, although I have never lived in Philly. I did make it to the last Spectrum game against Carolina (preseason) though, and I cannot believe they actually tore it down. I have converted my gf from a DC fan to the Flyers - as it was non-negotiable. I don't have a favorite Flyer, but watching Gagne get forced out was...no words.

Anyway, I read this forum nearly exclusively because it has a bit of everything: guys in random countries posting scouting reports that the Flyers probably don't even have, Canadian juniors reports, STH meeting notes, people talking in 3rd person like pro wrestlers, optimists, pessimists, bridge jumpers, etc etc. Thank you all for putting that information up.

With all of the formalities out of the way, hopefully you know I'm not a troll.

My opinion on what happened 2010-2011: to state the obvious, not the same team. In 2009-2010, there was disaster and resilience: six goalies dressed in the regular season, narrowly making the playoffs on of all things - the gimmick shootout the Flyers have sucked at since it started to count for a point, losing boosh and lappy in the playoffs, going down 0-3 against Boston. So the Flyers put up tribute videos to the fallen in the playoffs for the team and fans to rally around, and somehow the Flyers dug deep and won that Bs series. This most recent season did NOT have any sort of mystique to it, no team cohesion, no 'it' factor.

They just plain didn't care. Maybe it was watching the longest tenured and highly respected Flyer leave because of a ridiculous salary cap move, the leadership void never filled by losing: Gagne and Asham, Pronger to several injuries, and Lappy permanently, possibly Lavy's handling of the Z situation (which seemed awfully personal at times when the only Flyer who could score was scratched - and all other players were out of the dog house WAY faster), or something simple like a long year prior with the Olympics and a finals run.

At this point, I only care because it better not happen again this coming season. Going forward, I don't think goaltending is the biggest issue (Brodeur/Roy/Hasek wouldn't have bailed anyone out of those defensive breakdowns) - Bob played most of the games during the regular season, and wasn't even in the US during the summer. Let's see what a full offseason can do for his development. As of late, the Flyers have given young guys a chance to prove themselves, and it has worked with Giroux and JVR. I hope they don't panic and give Bob a chance. A veteran/mentor/capable backup is necessary though.

What the Flyers NEED is a heart transplant - another Lappy. Who that guy is, I have no idea, but I'm 100% sure that's the key. If this roster on paper plays remotely close to the abilities they possess, they will beat anyone.

On the other hand, getting a little bigger couldn't hurt either. JVR is growing and using his frame, so that is a really good sign. Coburn is starting to get mean again (pre-game glaring against Boston ring a bell?) and hitting guys, which he hasn't done since his face got rearranged with a puck. Beyond that, it gets shaky: only Mesz and Pronger. The Flyers need another player with big body up front, attitude to match, and some skill.

I think the team in all sincerity is a tweak or two away from the cup. There is no need to blow this team up and start over, and definitely no need to tank and collect a bunch of top draft picks. The Flyers can improve while remaining competitive, no need to go the dishonorable Pens* or Caps route.

Let's Go FLYERS!

Well, I clearly missed that no need to blow up the team part. Whoops.

Anyway, I've really enjoyed the hockey conversations between the two forums, and wanted to take a second to say thanks again. And Digity, thanks for making a forum with actual mods to limit trolls and spam. Seems like its been more than a year, but that timestamp didn't lie.

On to next season, I have no idea what to expect, but I hope the team stays reasonably healthy for once. Cheers!

a bit of everything: guys in random countries posting scouting reports that the Flyers probably don't even have, Canadian juniors reports, STH meeting notes, people talking in 3rd person like pro wrestlers, optimists, pessimists, bridge jumpers

You forgot to mention guys who understand hockey, not by watching it, or playing it, but by intuiting it with the help of a tin foil hat, Google and football analogies ("a center is like the long snapper in football") - you can't get that kind of analysis just anywhere.

I honestly thought you were someone else with a new screen name. There was someone posting "doom & gloom" in a bunch of threads over on Philly.com and then you showed up (Rochflyer maybe?). I thought you were going to be an arse. I'm glad I was wrong.

I will echo your thanks to Digity for creating the site and Jim and HF for keeping the natives in check. It sure is nice to just talk hockey.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Radoran. Sorry buddy.

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan

You forgot to mention guys who understand hockey, not by watching it, or playing it, but by intuiting it with the help of a tin foil hat, Google and football analogies ("a center is like the long snapper in football") - you can't get that kind of analysis just anywhere.

Special K was hardly a football mind either. He used to come on the Eagles forum just to start trouble by creating "You Vick fans are hypocrites" threads. Or "Dawkins is a choker like Mcnabb" threads.

@doom88

you're a fine asset to our community, you crack me up, and provide good & succinct insight.

@Digityman

@hf101

@radoran

and the other mods and mainstays.

@Irishjim @Vanflyer @ruxpin @terp @ @canoli @flyerrod @socalflyfan @alaskaflyerfan @podein25 @phillygrump @jackstraw @tedzep

and the others i've missed.

thanks for making this a fun place to come and talk flyers hockey and hockey and other stupid guy stuff.

To all,

Thank you for all the kind compliments. I too really enjoy this site and appreciate all the hours Digity puts in to to provide us a ad, spam, and troll free forum. This forum succeeds also due to the quality discussion. It will only get better as we add new membership from fans of all the NHL teams.

......thus this is a great time to make the suggestion to help support the site by becoming a become a supporting member.

• Like 1

Nice to have a place I can come and talk hockey with people without getting into personal jibing (aside from aziz and that Nodl/Jagr thing - I mean WTF!? :) )

Especially a lot of folks who weren't on PTPITN that I've missed talking with over the past few years.

Thanks to Digity and, oddly enough, all of the whackjobs and jackasses that prompted the founding of this place. A true "community" I'm proud to be a part of and I hope keeps growing.