And Then There Were Three

Guest flyercanuck

In what has been one of the closest starts to a Memorial Cup Championship, a team was finally eliminated in the tie breaker game last night. Host team Shawinigan Cataractes beat WHL champs Edmonton Oil Kings 6-1 to move on to the semi-final against defending champion Saint John Seadogs. OHL champs London Knights (Hunters team) await the winner.

The round robin tournament of the 3 CHL champions plus host team was tied up after 2 games when all teams went 1-1 for the first time ever. The Oil Kings are the only team that wasn't fined so far in the tournament, with a lot of hate going around this year. If anyone is sick of watching 6 goalies play 6 goalies in the NHL ECF, the rematch of the top 2 QMJHL teams should be a good one...players this age haven't had the game coached to death out of them...plus they had a few brawls in the round robin game that led to both teams being fined.

I've caught a bit of the Mem Cup games and it's been some good hockey. Will try to catch tonight's Q battle for sure. Who are you picking to win it? The host team or the defending champs?

@Podein25

I think Saint Johns takes it. This will be Shawinigins 3rd game in 3 nights. They had the energy going last night, but they also really went with 2 lines most of the night. I've watched more of this than the Devils/Rangers. I'd rather watch kids play hockey than men block shots. I know it's part of the game, but the Rangers have made the Devils system look exciting.

@AlaskaFlyerFan

These teams finished 1/2 in the regular season. If Shawinigin had of beat Saint Johns in the round robin, they'd have gone directly to the final and the Sea Dogs would have to play 3 nights in a row (if they beat Oil Kings last night). There's plenty of rivalry and hate between these 2 teams.