Future Watch: Nick Cousins

Guest Irishjim

NickCousinsMAINDLTwitter.jpg

With much of the attention coming on the Flyers’ first round, eighth overall pick of Sean Couturier following the NHL Draft last June, Flyers fans might also remember their next pick in the draft – Nick Cousins.

Cousins was the Flyers’ third round pick in the 68th overall spot at the Draft in Minnesota.

“I think I bring some grit to my game and some playmaking ability,” said Cousins moments after being drafted. “I think I have a good offensive upside that not too many players have and I can bring that to the Philadelphia Flyers.

That offensive upside saw him explode for a career-high in goals (35), assists (53) and points (88) in 65 games in his third and most recent year with the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds of the Ontario Hockey League.

He led the Greyhounds in all three offensive categories and ended up tying for sixth overall in the OHL with his 88 points and sixth with his 53 assists.

Cousins also found consistency in his game during this past season with Soo. Among his 65 games, 28 of them were multi-point games and he put together a nine-game point streak and eight-game point streak at separate times during the season, while also improving his plus-minus rating by 15 points.

Not only can Cousins put points up on the board, but also he’s that gritty forward that often fits well into an Orange & Black sweater.

“He’s an energy player. Good skills, speed and just a highly competitive kid,” said Holmgren after selecting Cousins at the Draft. “He’s one of those guys that gets underneath the other team’s skin a little bit too.”

That helped the 5’11’’, 177-pound forward earn his first professional contract when he inked an entry-level deal with the Flyers on Mar. 26.

Shortly afterwards, Cousins made his professional hockey debut with the club’s American Hockey League affiliate, the Adirondack Phantoms, on Mar. 31.

I'd like it if he'd have an early 20's growth spurt. Seems like we have a lot of forwards that are maxed out size- wise at the 205 lb mark. Any heavier on a 5'11 frame and you start to lose the speed that got the player noticed.

I think that's part of Oveckin's problem, he fell in love with the weight room and lost some of his shimmy in exchange for brute force.

I'd like it if he'd have an early 20's growth spurt. Seems like we have a lot of forwards that are maxed out size- wise at the 205 lb mark. Any heavier on a 5'11 frame and you start to lose the speed that got the player noticed.

I think that's part of Oveckin's problem, he fell in love with the weight room and lost some of his shimmy in exchange for brute force.

Parise is 5' 11" and 195 so it's not so much the weight but the size of their HEART!

Not the size of the dawg in the fight but the size of the fight in the dawg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kinda were i'm more concerned with JVR i don't there is a whole lot of fight in him...

• Like 1

We'll see how long Parise can play that style at that size, he's built like Richards , who has had a lot of injuries and plays a similar style , constantly colliding with guys that are larger will take it's toll on a player. I don't care how much fight they have in them.

• Like 1

We'll see how long Parise can play that style at that size, he's built like Richards , who has had a lot of injuries and plays a similar style , constantly colliding with guys that are larger will take it's toll on a player. I don't care how much fight they have in them.

Mark Recci says HELLO!!!!!!1

It'd be nice, but Couturier should fill out nicely. Voracek is around 215. I'd hoped JVR might get a little bigger but he hasn't.

I think Ovechkins problem is he fell in love with himself.

• Like 1

Hi FC.....

My boy Zemgus broke his jaw before his playoffs. His Dad is an ardent believer in the value of a university degree, hence he didn't play Canadian juniors. In your opinion, will either of those facts have an effect on his draft status?

My son will accompany Z's family to the draft in Pittsburgh. My son, as am I, is very good looking, and you will no doubt be able to identify him during the telecast.

• Like 1

Mark Recci says HELLO!!!!!!1

he was the exception to the rule and had a great career but there are more guys that have had a great 3 years playing that style at that size that didn't.

and my point is we seem to have a lot of Nick Cousin's on the roster,he's not going to beat out braden schenn who's 6 ft 190 so i'd like to see some bigger guys with his skill set, until this year our team was on the small side on the wings and average down the middle. @flyercanuck makes a good point about couturier having a large frame as well as voras. but the way we got man handled by NJ makes me think some more meat would help us along the boards.

he was the exception to the rule and had a great career but there are more guys that have had a great 3 years playing that style at that size that didn't.

and my point is we seem to have a lot of Nick Cousin's on the roster,he's not going to beat out braden schenn who's 6 ft 190 so i'd like to see some bigger guys with his skill set, until this year our team was on the small side on the wings and average down the middle. @flyercanuck makes a good point about couturier having a large frame as well as voras. but the way we got man handled by NJ makes me think some more meat would help us along the boards.

Why is that everyone excuse once you produce a perfect example?

He was the exception- blah blah-

this guy is only 5'9"

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.cgi?5756

...and scored 19 pts. in 25 playoff games (in only his first full season)

Hi FC.....

My boy Zemgus broke his jaw before his playoffs. His Dad is an ardent believer in the value of a university degree, hence he didn't play Canadian juniors. In your opinion, will either of those facts have an effect on his draft status?

My son will accompany Z's family to the draft in Pittsburgh. My son, as am I, is very good looking, and you will no doubt be able to identify him during the telecast.

I haven't seen enough of his play to give you an honest opinion, but from what I've heard he's going mid-first round.

You can get a university degree in Canada you know ; ) ...and the CHL will pay for it (they pay one year for each year you play) I think the CHL is your best bet to make the NHL because you play against the best juniors (for the most part) and play a similiar schedule. Some juniors play close to 100 games in a season...when you compare that to an NCAA sched, well, there is no comparison. I think your play effects your status first and foremost and I've heard nothing but good about Mr. Girgensons. Some Russians may drop a bit because of uncertainty whether they will come over (or bring their heart with them) A broken jaw isn't going to affect his play longterm, and I think the teams who passed on Couturier learned a valuable lesson about letting something minor influence their draft. The guy gets Jonathon Toews comparisons...if I can get anywhere near THAT from 10-20 I'd be all over it.

If I watch the draft I'll keep my eyes out for the Handsome Family.

Hi FC.....

Blocker! As a Latvian-Canadian, I'm very excited to see how Zemgus goes in the draft and it's very cool to "know" someone who knows him. I believe the education aspect stems from his Latvian roots as they have been one of the most literate and highly educated countries since the early 1900's. It's good to see a young Latvian with so much size as it will bode well for future World Championships and I can only hope Ted Nolan re-ups as coach for the National team.

Give my best to Zemgus and his family from a Latvian across the border.

I haven't seen enough of his play to give you an honest opinion, but from what I've heard he's going mid-first round.

You can get a university degree in Canada you know ; ) ...and the CHL will pay for it (they pay one year for each year you play) I think the CHL is your best bet to make the NHL because you play against the best juniors (for the most part) and play a similiar schedule. Some juniors play close to 100 games in a season...when you compare that to an NCAA sched, well, there is no comparison. I think your play effects your status first and foremost and I've heard nothing but good about Mr. Girgensons. Some Russians may drop a bit because of uncertainty whether they will come over (or bring their heart with them) A broken jaw isn't going to affect his play longterm, and I think the teams who passed on Couturier learned a valuable lesson about letting something minor influence their draft. The guy gets Jonathon Toews comparisons...if I can get anywhere near THAT from 10-20 I'd be all over it.

If I watch the draft I'll keep my eyes out for the Handsome Family.

FC, if you EVER call a Latvian a Russian again, I will hunt you down and ..... Sorry, we're a little bit sensitive about that. Invasions, Siberian Death Camps etc etc and all. A little blurb about Arturs Irbe to illustrate:

"Along with the gear, which these men can personalize, is something they cannot: the uniform. Irbe reluctantly started his career in Soviet red -- even though the mother country once came to his mother's house and nearly sent his grandparents to Siberia. He whooped with his fellow 13-year-olds in 1980 when the Soviets fell to the U.S. in Lake Placid. And he risked his career when the mortally wounded Red Army advanced on his hometown in 1991 to prevent a revolt. Irbe sat in the frigid town square overnight as the tanks rolled in, signing a referendum for national independence and singing songs of freedom. When the tanks left, Irbe watched his neighbors topple a statue of Lenin into hundreds of pieces. Irbe picked up a chunk of the statue, clutched it in his trapper hand, then went home to crush his little piece of history with a hammer. When he got to New York later that year -- playing for the Sharks -- Irbe checked into a hotel, turned on CNN, watched George Bush formally recognize Latvia as a country and sobbed."

http://www.freewebs.com/goalieguy56/artursirbepics.htm

@OccamsRazor

my last words on this, recchi maybe the perfect example of a smaller player have a long a productive career but he's also an extraordinary case, so that's why I wrote it.... it's the truth.

usually little guys playing like a big guy and taking on bigger guys wind up with broken body parts after a few years or their effectiveness levels and drops quickly. Also recchi didn't always play like the "wreckin' ball" he picked his spots, and had years where he was on top scoring lines and was not asked to be the type of player cousins is projecting to be.

i'd rather have a person with a larger frame than 5'11 play the role of "3rd line pest with decent hands",especially on a team where there are already bunch of guys that size. that's my preference.

plus who does he beat for a roster spot ?

time's yours.

@OccamsRazor

my last words on this, recchi maybe the perfect example of a smaller player have a long a productive career but he's also an extraordinary case, so that's why I wrote it.... it's the truth.

usually little guys playing like a big guy and taking on bigger guys wind up with broken body parts after a few years or their effectiveness levels and drops quickly. Also recchi didn't always play like the "wreckin' ball" he picked his spots, and had years where he was on top scoring lines and was not asked to be the type of player cousins is projecting to be.

i'd rather have a person with a larger frame than 5'11 play the role of "3rd line pest with decent hands",especially on a team where there are already bunch of guys that size. that's my preference.

plus who does he beat for a roster spot ?

time's yours.

Oh i'm not saying he's ready, he may need more seasoning you'd have to ask the guys who watch more junior play like FC, Jammer or even Pods i've only read about him.

My point is about judging people just by their size...

...i'm 5'111/2 210lbs and always loved when people misjudged me based on my size (especially when it came to playing basketball many where not use to seeing a white boy my size dunk) also let me add that was also prior my acl tear playing B-ball :D ...

...actually gave me the advantage.

Max Talbot is 5' 11" and he does an exceptional job.

I'm not arguing with you, you're entitled to your opinion...myself size myself i don't consider to much unless it's a defenseman, i'd then would prefer more SIZE then.

I'm a little apprehensive about Cousins making the Flyers. Nice player, little buzzsaw, always in the thick of the action, just skeptical about him making the jump to the pros...but I've been wrong before. He does project as a gritty 3rd liner (which is where he would fit on the Flyers), so there is some hope. He would have to make the jump to the wing, don't see him making the Flyers as a center, just to crowded at that position. My question, does he bring more than say a Harry.Z....cause I like Harry's size and skating....he would be fighting guys like Harry, Welly, Rinaldo, who all bring nice qualities. He's got his work cut out for him because of our tremendous depth at forward. He does play Flyer hockey, so that puts him in the mix. He goes back to the Sault next year for sure, where he will be traded to a contender for picks and or youth. Hope he becomes a Spitfire!

• Like 1

I believe the education aspect stems from his Latvian roots as they have been one of the most literate and highly educated countries since the early 1900's

He's a super kid. He was only 15 when he started billeting here. He took the responsibility for his home study seriously and did a great job for a boy that young. He and my other grandchildren are very close.

We like him a lot.

He's a super kid. He was only 15 when he started billeting here. He took the responsibility for his home study seriously and did a great job for a boy that young. He and my other grandchildren are very close.

We like him a lot.

Thanks again. I really appreciate the background info. I see lately he's projecting to go 13-18, depending on who you read. First ever Latvian in the 1st round is exciting for all of us.

@Clarke2Leach

I wasn't calling him a Russian. I said Russians may fall in the draft because of the fact they may choose the K and that he shouldn't be affected by his injury. I guess the way it's written is sort of confusing. But I know he's not Russian...though i think you are. ; )

@Clarke2LeachI wasn't calling him a Russian. I said Russians may fall in the draft because of the fact they may choose the K and that he shouldn't be affected by his injury. I guess the way it's written is sort of confusing.
I SAID we were a little bit sensitive about these things.
But I know he's not Russian...though i think you are. ; )

post-73-0-26007700-1338476776_thumb.gif

Edited by Clarke2Leach

Blocker! As a Latvian-Canadian, I'm very excited to see how Zemgus goes in the draft and it's very cool to "know" someone who knows him. I believe the education aspect stems from his Latvian roots as they have been one of the most literate and highly educated countries since the early 1900's. It's good to see a young Latvian with so much size as it will bode well for future World Championships and I can only hope Ted Nolan re-ups as coach for the National team.

Give my best to Zemgus and his family from a Latvian across the border.

Clarkie...........

You might like this...

http://www.dubuquefightingsaints.com/archive_story.php?sid=154