Go Devils, ugh......

Guest Spinorama

I'm sorry guys, I loved Gagne as much as the next fan, when he was a Flyer but that just isn't enough for me to be able to get over possibly seeing Carter and yes, even Richards hoisting the cup. I liked Richards, but he didn't do enough when he was here to endear me like say Gagne and maybe Hextall (would he even care as much seeing he didn't get it as a player?). If the Rangers won maybe I'dsing a different tune but now I can at least say we got beat by the eventual champs is the Devils win. I normally go the other route when deciding what team to route for once mine is eliminated (I'm not routing for the team that spoil my team's fun) but in this case, that's what I shall do... if I even watch, still haven't been able to get into these games since that dreadful Devils series.

• Like 1

" but now I can at least say we got

beat by the eventual champs is

the Devils win. "

@Spinorama

And that comforts you how? I bet Flyboys have lost to the eventual Cup winner ten or twelve times in the last 37 years, but so what?

I take the exact opposite view, we had the chance to knock off the team that won the Cup and blew it. If we had beaten them, then that could be us!

I can never bring myself to root for the devils...I just have too many memories of Marty Brodeur single handedly beating the Flyers.....

Interestingly enough, I don't have much hate for the Devils......not even sure why. The Pens with that dickhead Malkin are much easier to hate.

But thinking of the Devils possibly winning another Cup is just...... well unthinkable. How on Earth does this team keep doing it is beyond imagination. And it's not even like they have a great team. They came out of nowehere, had a very unspectacular regular season, hardly beat Florida in the first round, and now they are on a brink of winning the Cup. Just maddening and infuriating.

This is why it really bothers me so much when the Flyers' fans continue getting satisfied with just having a good season and knowing that "teh future looks bright", while the team across the Turnpike are on a brink of winning a 4th Cup in 16 years. It's basically one Cup every 4 years. THINK ABOUT IT!

How can any passionate Flyers fan not feel sick and rather be content with what *seems* like yet another good season? How?

Edited by Mad Dog

" but now I can at least say we got

beat by the eventual champs is

the Devils win. "

@Spinorama

And that comforts you how? I bet Flyboys have lost to the eventual Cup winner ten or twelve times in the last 37 years, but so what?

I take the exact opposite view, we had the chance to knock off the team that won the Cup and blew it. If we had beaten them, then that could be us!

well, it doesn't really. the title of this post should have implied that. I don't like any of the choices but if I had to make one, that's the route I will go this time. As I said , I don't normally pull for the team that knocked out my team but, again, the thought of seeing Carter and even Richards(though not nearly as much) hoist the cup, especially this season, is too much for this fan to consider.

as I said though, I doubt I'll even watch the series, just tune in from time to time to see how it's going

i'd rather watch carter and richards raise the cup than the devils.

so what, those guys couldn't get it done while they were here, now they are pieces of the pie and not the leaders , have a goalie playing very well. good for them. i do not want to see that goddamn devils team win the stanley cup under any conditions. period. f them. go kings i'll just take a pee when it's time for carter to skate it... big whoop.

So what, we should all quit on the Flyers?

This is not what I suggested at all. I will never in my lifetime EVER quit on any of my sports teams. NOT EVER. But we should stop accepting just good seasons and the fact that the team has some "potential" as a token of success. Not winning a single championship in 37 years is unacceptable. I am tired of excuses and watching this New Jersey team winning Cups at the ridiculous frequency while we can't win a single one in THIRTY SEVEN EFFIN YEARS.

Then what do you suggest? Seriously, it's all we have. If we could will the Flyers to victory, they would NEVER lose.

You are right that we, fans, are helpless in the sense that we cannot help the team win. We can't click the fingers, like a magician, and suddenly the team wins. But just about every year after the Flyers exit from the playoffs, a large group of Flyers fans (posters, people on the street, or those who call the local sports radio talk show) talk about how great of a season the team had and comfort themsleves in something: we have a great coach, our leadership is finally addressed, or we have a great group of young players, so we are set for years. And that next year comes, and we are at the same point where we were last year.

And all these years, the management fails to address one position that matters the most: goaltending.

I am not saying let's stop supporting the team. But accepting continuous, unstoppable, never-ending failures is not the way to live.....not for me anyway.

It's better than being miserable in my opinion. They actually tried to fix the goaltending, and no one could have imagined the total garbage that ensued...

The Flyers are cursed. The 'C' stands for cursed. We're screwed.

@ Spinorama

Understood. There are some unsavory aspects to either of the finalists winning.Hexy being in LA is enough for me to be ok with the Kings winning.

I didn't tune in to the ECF until the third period of game 5, I'll watch the Final but it will be hard.

I've never been one to say "well at least we lost to the champs" for a simple reason... If you're not the champs, how do you know you were any good? Maybe my Pens should've been 8th, your Flyers 7th...? Neither of us beat anyone else, so maybe we were the worst two teams in? That's not acceptable, and the team that beat us win philosophy is just trying to soften the fact that our teams blew it. The Devils? Really? But now that I think about it.... Piss on everyone else in the East... Go Kings! ;)

• Like 1

I've never been one to say "well at least we lost to the champs" for a simple reason... If you're not the champs, how do you know you were any good? Maybe my Pens should've been 8th, your Flyers 7th...? Neither of us beat anyone else, so maybe we were the worst two teams in? That's not acceptable, and the team that beat us win philosophy is just trying to soften the fact that our teams blew it. The Devils? Really? But now that I think about it.... Piss on everyone else in the East... Go Kings! ;)

At least you guys have won 3 Cups in the last 20 years. That is an easier pill to swallow. We have only won 2 in the last nearly 40 years. That hurts badly for a fan base that loves a team soooo much. You may hate the Flyers and Flyers fans and I wont go so far as to say we love our team more than another fan base loves theirs because there are some great hockey towns out there that love their team, but I can say without doubt that there are no cities that love their team more than we love the Flyers. We are passionate to the core and this drought stings badly.

Lindros

Primeau

Smith

Pronger

Forsberg (though he already had issues)

Definitely cursed.

@doom88,

My comment was a quote from a cement head (Tie Domi maybe?) to one of the Flyers captains from about 10 yrs ago.

I see where you're going. Why is Smith on the list? I remember he had some shoulder injury issues, but they didn't stop him from playing.

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan

@hf101

our guys owned them this year, the panthers played in a weak division , they were a two line team with average defense and goaltending. never once did i watch a game of theirs and think... wow those guys are great. the only thing they did was push NJ farther than anyone, while losing just like everyone else, but i think that had more to do with NJ than the panthers.

i don't retract my statement. :D

@doom88,

My comment was a quote from a cement head (Tie Domi maybe?) to one of the Flyers captains from about 10 yrs ago.

I see where you're going. Why is Smith on the list? I remember he had some shoulder injury issues, but they didn't stop him from playing.

If I recall correctly, Smith couldn't lift either arm above his head, but played anyway. He was never the same again.

That hurts badly for a fan base that loves a team soooo much. We are passionate to the core and this drought stings badly.

Was no malice in the post my friend. Just frustration in how the season turned out for my Pens that equals or could perhaps be even greater than your own simply because you at least made it to round two!

I don't ever accept losing just because the team that beat us went on to win. My point was simply comforting oneself with that thought has holes in its logic, and I look at it from the other end.

My Pens were so strong in the regular season and had a great streak just before the playoffs I seriously thought they could go all the way. I never expected a first round exit. I knew your Flyers would be the toughest challenge in the conference, but it was one I expected to overcome. Now for your boys to lose.... Well apparently our teams weren't what they seemed going into it.