Devils and Lamoriello should be kicked from the league

Guest TedZep

I just think it is a regional thing. Even allot of Philly fans have checked out of the finals. Say what you want, but the Devils have LONG been associated with bland / boring hockey. Even with their style changing somewhat, the stigma sticks. With LA, nobody in the NE region US / Eastern region Canada really knows much about them (aside from glimpses of Doughty, Kopitar, Brown, Richards and Quick). This again aligns to very little identity. People will not tune in, even if they are a strong hockey fan, if there is not something there for them to identify with and interest them.

I have to disagree because almost every hockey fan I know is watching and has been watching. I think that as a fan, I watch any hockey be it Jr, college, kids playing, etc. I also think there are a lot of Flyers fans checking out the finals strictly due to Richards, Carter, Gags, Hextall, etc.

As a fan of not just the Flyers but of hockey, I hope the Kings get Hextall his Stanley Cup ring tonight and winning the Cup does for hockey in LA what it did for hockey in Philly when the Flyers won the Cup.

I have to disagree because almost every hockey fan I know is watching and has been watching. I think that as a fan, I watch any hockey be it Jr, college, kids playing, etc. I also think there are a lot of Flyers fans checking out the finals strictly due to Richards, Carter, Gags, Hextall, etc.

As a fan of not just the Flyers but of hockey, I hope the Kings get Hextall his Stanley Cup ring tonight and winning the Cup does for hockey in LA what it did for hockey in Philly when the Flyers won the Cup.

I have not done a census as I am 12000 miles away. Yet, I have seen a sub-portion of posters on this board (which had allot of hard core hockey fans, not just Flyers, but Juniors, college, street hockey etc.), say that they are neutral / disinterested.

Truthfully, I would be curious what is considered "large market". What qualifies that? We could start with that question in order to proceed with a dialogue.

Also, you cited that ratings were down in the US for hockey (as a generality, not SCF or SCP specific). I would like to know more of that because there were Flyers-Penguins first round games that were off the charts (along with some other series).

I have not done a census as I am 12000 miles away. Yet, I have seen a sub-portion of posters on this board (which had allot of hard core hockey fans, not just Flyers, but Juniors, college, street hockey etc.), say that they are neutral / disinterested.

Truthfully, I would be curious what is considered "large market". What qualifies that? We could start with that question in order to proceed with a dialogue.

Also, you cited that ratings were down in the US for hockey (as a generality, not SCF or SCP specific). I would like to know more of that because there were Flyers-Penguins first round games that were off the charts (along with some other series).

Hey van. That was copied from an article in a publication and unfortunately I cannot recall the source. I can only base my comment withing my circle of friends, family, co workers who are fans and the majority were watching the games .

I would argue that the article states large market where they may have implied hockey market. The Rangers, Flyers, Bruins, Hawks, Wings all have large followings not only in their respective cities but nationally and in Canada. I think it's fair to say that is this was a Rangers - Kings or Flyers - Kings, Rangers - Bruins, etc that the ratings would be much better.

I think that part of the appeal of the Pens- Flyers series is another thing that Bettman hockey killed and that was some of the intense rivalries. I think the ratings for the Pens and Flyers were high not only because of the teams but mainly due to the casual fan tuning in for the nasty element of the series. Bettman and his cronies can ignore it all they want but a fight filled, nasty series sells.

• Like 2