Tim Thomas To Take A Year Off !?

Guest idahophilly

Not sure why this is such a huge deal for people.... if you put him in any other career, it would be very common for someone to take time off to be with their families... maternity/paternity leave, etc. If it is true that he's leaving for his family and not to get away from something I totally respect that. He's a multi-millionaire and is making a decision not soley based on money. That's awesome.

Unfortunately it puts his employer in a tight spot.

http://www.bostonglo...SeBK/story.html

Sometime in May, Bill Zito, Tim Thomas’s agent, contacted Peter Chiarelli. The Bruins general manager prides himself on preparation, covering every angle, and not being caught unaware in any situation.

But Zito’s thunderclap of a message surprised even Chiarelli. Thomas, the team’s most important player, was considering not playing in 2012-13, the final season of his four-year, $20 million contract. ESPN.com first reported Thomas’s plan on Thursday.

Since’s Zito’s bombshell, when conceptualizing the blueprint of next season’s team, Chiarelli has assumed that Thomas will not be part of the roster. If Thomas sits out, the Bruins will have to carry his $5 million annual hit toward their cap number. It is the team’s third-highest cap hit after Zdeno Chara ($6,916,667) and David Krejci ($5.25 million). Thomas is due $3 million in salary in 2012-13. Chiarelli asked Zito if Thomas was seeking a contract extension and Zito told the GM that Thomas was not interested in a new deal.

“As of right now, I’m operating under the premise there is a strong possibility of him taking the year off,’’ Chiarelli said on Friday during a conference call. “We’d have to go about our business without Tim Thomas for the year.’’

Edited by JackStraw

Not sure why this is such a huge deal for people.... if you put him in any other career, it would be very common for someone to take time off to be with their families... maternity/paternity leave, etc. If it is true that he's leaving for his family and not to get away from something I totally respect that. He's a multi-millionaire and is making a decision not soley based on money. That's awesome.

Unfortunately it puts his employer in a tight spot.

It's a pretty big deal because he's under contract and the Bruins will have to absorb his salary cap hit. The article in the Boston Globe says that the Bruins will probably suspend him if he doesn't report, which I guess would get them out of having to pay him, but they'd still be on the hook for his cap hit.

As I said... "Unfortunately it puts his employer in a tight spot"

But I still would say that his family comes first.... no matter what.

Could they not demote him to the minors and avoid the cap hit?... then suspend him?

It's a pretty big deal because he's under contract and the Bruins will have to absorb his salary cap hit. The article in the Boston Globe says that the Bruins will probably suspend him if he doesn't report, which I guess would get them out of having to pay him, but they'd still be on the hook for his cap hit.

@sarsippius

To Sars point, I think that is EXACTLY what the Bruins will do (send him to the minors). They will bite the 3m salary, but the 5m cap hit will be off the books (ala Leighton).

Goalies are a strange breed. But not for us to judge what is going on in his private life and I respect that and will not judge ...oh...well. Ok. :-P

What could happen in his private life that requires more than his three months off to fix? Some life changing illness or whatever I could see but otherwise?? He's putting the screws to an entire organization, so it better be awfully troubling news.

What could happen in his private life that requires more than his three months off to fix? Some life changing illness or whatever I could see but otherwise?? He's putting the screws to an entire organization, so it better be awfully troubling news.

This hardly sounds like a family issue that needs "fixing", or a life altering illness...

"At the age of 38, I believe it is time to put my time and energies into those areas and relationships that I have neglected," Thomas said on his Facebook page Sunday. "That is why at this time I feel the most important thing I can do in my life is to reconnect with the three F's. Friends, Family, and Faith. This is what I plan on doing over the course of the next year."

Thomas would not pass through waivers. Someone would snag him on the way down

Only if that team knows that he'll play next year. It could be that he wants out of Boston and this is his way of saying it, but if he wants a trade why wouldn't he just tell the team that?

I like this guy less and less. Tim, honor your contract, you dope.

I think this is crap, even though i take him at his word.

i cannot see how a team would want to take a roll of the dice with him at age 39/40 after a year of chasing toddlers around a playground. Boston should buy him out and move on , speaking of moving on I know where the Broons can find an average goaltender locked in for the next 8 years, he's every bit as flaky and has a fun russian accent to boot.

good riddance to him, ******.

Only if that team knows that he'll play next year.

A team that needs to reach the cap floor might pick him up just to carry the cap hit. That seems a little far fetched but they were talking about it on NHL Tonight.

It could be that he wants out of Boston and this is his way of saying it, but if he wants a trade why wouldn't he just tell the team that?

I could see something like this happening...

Tim Thomas: I'm not happy here anymore. Trade me.

Peter Chiarelli: No, I'm not trading you

Tim Thomas: OK, well I'm not playing next year. Have fun managing the cap hit.

A team that needs to reach the cap floor might pick him up just to carry the cap hit. That seems a little far fetched but they were talking about it on NHL Tonight.

I could see something like this happening...

Except that I'm pretty sure that Boston would love to trade him. They know that Rask is the future and if they could get rid of Thomas' cap hit AND get something in return I think they'd jump at it. They tried to trade him a few years ago but apparently didn't get an offer they liked. I'm sure their asking price would be a lot lower now that he only has a year left on his contract.

Edited by JackStraw

Except that I'm pretty sure that Boston would love to trade him. They know that Rask is the future and if they could get rid of Thomas' cap hit AND get something in return I think they'd jump at it. They tried to trade him a few years ago but apparently didn't get an offer they liked. I'm sure their asking price would be a lot lower now that he only has a year left on his contract.

Maybe so. My post was all speculation anyways.

@AlaskaFlyerFan

or maybe more like this:

Peter Chiarelli: Timmy, I want to make Rask the starting goalie next season. You will be his back-up.

Tim Thomas: Hmmm, I'd rather not play.

Peter Chiarelli: Well then I'm going to trade you or send you to the AHL.

Tim Thomas: F that, I said I'd rather not play.....if I can't be the starting goaltender, I'll sit out a year. Enjoy the cap hit.

@Podein25

Thanks for the read. Not to take this off topic.....but there were some good points made about Fehr and the CBA.

As for Thomas, I see him just wanting to take the year off, unless he decides at the trade deadline that he wants to play elsewhere.