High and Wide # 77

Guest mojo1917

So unclutch has been very good in this year's final... I always wanted to see what would happen if he was healthy for the playoffs and not broken, well now we're seeing it and lo' it looks just like his regular seasons here; goals, face off wins , good two way play, his level has not risen ala Parise, but it hasn't fallen off like we saw for 4 straight years.

I was never a Carter hater, but I am ticked we never had the opportunity to have him healthy when it matters most.

So unclutch has been very good in this year's final... I always wanted to see what would happen if he was healthy for the playoffs and not broken, well now we're seeing it and lo' it looks just like his regular seasons here; goals, face off wins , good two way play, his level has not risen ala Parise, but it hasn't fallen off like we saw for 4 straight years.

I was never a Carter hater, but I am ticked we never had the opportunity to have him healthy when it matters most.

Wooooooo there big guy. Lets not get carried away.

1) He was on the ice for the lone goal by the devs in game one doing pirrouettes down low in the zone.

2) He has taken 47 faceoffs the entire playoffs and zero in game one, but he did do well last night (5/8 63%).

3) In two games he has 1 hit and 1 blocked shot.

He is a decent second fiddle player. Nothing more, nothing less. But at 5+m, bleh! Let's not annoint him to anything beyond that. If he was something special, he would be scorching in the playoffs as he is not drawing first d pairing / checking line assignments. Him and Richards (Richards more so) are filling round holes in round pegs on the LA team. They are not winning because of Richards and Carter (which they were EXPECTED to do in Philly). They are winnig because of Brown, Kopitar, Doughty and Quick and the second / third role players are doing their expected jobs.

Calling it like i've seen it @Vanflyer ...

he's been one of the better players for the Kings, just like he was one of the better players when he was here, we never had him where his feet weren't broken or his shoulders weren't separated during the tournament... i'm not saying he's lighting it up, i'm saying his play hasn't dropped off like it did for the flyers. he and richards have been pretty good in this series so far.

both devils goals in this series have been pure garbage luck, so i'm not looking for a tree and rope because he's been on the ice when the devils get their forecheck going,

by all means i'm not saying he deserves the conn-smythe but i can give the guy credit for being a solid reliable player who plays in all situations and has been playing well.

• Like 1

@mojo1917

Ok. He did let not one, but TWO men go on the lone Jersey goal in game one. Neither one of them were the ones to score, but that coverage breakdown has a domino effect.

Yes, he is playing decent. But I will reitterate, he is a second fiddle. Aside from his hat trick and last nights OT winner, he has not done anything to stand out in the entire SC playoffs. So, in 16 playoff games, only in two he has done something note worthy. If you want to pay 5.5M for that, go right ahead.

For me, I will take Voracek at 3.5m 7 days a week and twice on Sunday (let alone the future stud Couturier).

P.S. He has one more point than Schenn for the playoffs.

@Vanflyer

Not lamenting anything, not saying I told everyone so...I like our team with the caveat that Bryzgalov can get his act together and be solid...Would not undo either trade, just commenting that he doesn't suck when healthy, and he never was for the playoffs in his time here after the surprise run to the ECF.

Haters gonna hate, I understand. ;-)

Gotta agree with @Vanflyer - Carter has been totally average and very Carter like.

He got lucky on one shot. You can't let Carter shoot the puck from there. It's the only thing he knows how to do and easy to shut down. A little semi-pick helped him on that play, which is karma as far as I'm concerned given the Debs consistent use of picks.

The one thing Carter has done consistently as a winger is chip the puck out. We have some forwards who cannot consistently do that, so I guess Carter is not completely useless.

both devils goals in this series have been pure garbage luck, so i'm not looking for a tree and rope because he's been on the ice when the devils get their forecheck going,

The Devils know darn well that they could EASILY have been shut out in BOTH of those games on home ice.

Both goals were flukes.

I think the Kings win big tonight. Kopitar or Brown are due for a big game.

And Richards is due too.

I think the Kings win big tonight. Kopitar or Brown are due for a big game.

Well, I'd say 4-0 was winning big.

This series is over on Wednesday. I would hate to be the Devils in that game.

Hope Richards hits the Cup-winning goal.

If there is any doubt about the Conn Smythe trophy, I don't know why. Quick is just on another planet right about now. His GAA must be about 1.25.

The Devils don't know what hit them because they haven't played badly by any means. I think they played as well as they played against the Flyers and the Rangers but the Kings execution is spectacular right now. They are getting schooled by a hot team with a mega, white hot goaltender.

• Like 2

I'm never one to say it's good to get bounced early from the playoffs, but the Flyers would not have beaten LA the way Quick is playing. How awful would it be to see 4 ex Flyers stomping the Flyboys in a sweep to win the Cup? Yeeesh.

• Like 1

I'm never one to say it's good to get bounced early from the playoffs, but the Flyers would not have beaten LA the way Quick is playing. How awful would it be to see 4 ex Flyers stomping the Flyboys in a sweep to win the Cup? Yeeesh.

Hate to say it, but you're right. We were not going to beat Quick.

And if we couldn't handle NJ's forecheck, what would the Kings have done to us???

@Vanflyer

The thing that Carter always did for us is get the puck to the net and he has been doing that for the Kings. With this highly defense oriented series that is a big thing and there aren't a lot of Kings that have been taking the shots. Out of the forwards for this series Williams has 11 followed by Carter and Richards who have 9 each. The rest of the forwards have six or fewer shots on goal. Taking the shots has always been Carter's thing and an offense boost is what the Kings needed.

• Like 1

Hate to say it, but you're right. We were not going to beat Quick.

actually i think our skill guys would be able to lift the puck and keep him honest, quick takes away everything low, it is amazing how solid he is, the place to beat him is high. NJ's skill guys haven't tested him high the whole series, some of that is the kings closing quickly, and rushing the shooters; but some of it is NJ doesn't have enough skill guys that can make that play outside of henrique, parise kolvalchuk (when healthy) elias, and sometimes sykora & zajac.