Maxime Talbot To Have Jersey Number Retired By Gatineau Olympiques

Guest hf101

Philadelphia Flyers forward Maxime Talbot was bestowed a great honor this week when it was announced that his number 25 jersey was going to be retired by his former major junior hockey club, the Gatineau Olympiques of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.

The trade ultimately favored the Olympiques.

After compiling a combined 97 points in his first two seasons, Talbot was named captain of the Olympiques for the 2002-03 season and recorded a major junior career-high 46 goals and 104 points in 69 games.

download.jpegThat was only the tip of the iceberg, as Talbot put up 44 points in the playoffs that year en route to a QMJHL Championship and a Guy Lafleur trophy as playoff MVP. In 2003-04, Talbot accomplished the feat for a second straight season, leading the Olympiques to another OMJHL title, another playoff scoring title and a second Guy Lafleur trophy.

When all was said and done, Talbot compiled 110 career goals and 299 points in 249 games over five seasons in the QMJHL.

Early Saturday morning, he expressed his excitement via his twitter account in regards to his jersey being retired by his old club.

He will join the likes of Jean Poulin, Luc Robitaille, Sam Lang, Jose Theodore and Guy Rouleau in the retired number club.

Max's twitter response. "

I learned earlier that my jersey will be retired from the Hull/Gatineau Olympiques in the Q. Such and Honor. Proudest kid ever!"

Congrats to Max. I still think he should be named the Captain next year.

Congrats to Max. I still think he should be named the Captain next year.

Funny you should say that. My oldest son asked who I would make captain next year, and I said Talbot. Of course everyone sitting around us said I was crazy, how could it not be Giroux, and that's probably how it will play out. But Max carries himself like a leader on the ice, and I think he merits serious consideration.

• Like 2

But Max carries himself like a leader on the ice

And off the ice as well. He's a great locker room presence and is good at rallying the troops, so to speak. I can understand, given the other talents the Flyers have, why some people might think you were a little crazy. But I agree, I think he should at least merit consideration. Max is class all the way and he's not the kind of guy you see taking shifts off. That's what a leader should be.

@DinahMoeHumm

Agreed. If being Captain meant being the most talented player, then Giroux would be the slam dunk choice. But I've never been a big believer that your "best player" has to be your captain. Lindros was a beast here for several years, but he was never captain material, despite the C on his jersey.....just an example, not trying to stir that pot again :)

But I've never been a big believer that your "best player" has to be your captain

Bingo! And to be perfectly honest, as a Pens fan, I'm not completely convinced that Crosby should be the one wearing the C. Sure, I can see the arguments for it (his preparation and dedication to the finer points of his game are outstanding), but to me there are plenty of arguments against it as well. And to be even more blunt, even though he plays for my favorite team and is certainly an amazing player, I tend to fall in the minority in the Penguins camp saying that he can still be a little too much of a whiner for my taste. He's gotten better over the years, but sometimes he just needs to shut the he|| up and play the game. But like you with Lindros and the captaincy, I won't stir that proverbial pot again either... :-)

And to be perfectly honest, as a Pens fan, I'm not completely convinced that Crosby should be the one wearing the C........

And to be even more blunt, even though he plays for my favorite team and is certainly an amazing player, I tend to fall in the minority in the Penguins camp saying that he can still be a little too much of a whiner for my taste. He's gotten better over the years......

I was actually thinking about Sid and the C when I was typing my last post, and I sometimes think the Pens might be better served if he wasn't the Captain. Can't take it away from him at this point though, the slap in the face could cause problems. To his credit he has gotten much better with the whining over the last couple years, but I also think he had a bit of a late season/playoff relapse.....spurred obviously by the intensity of the games between our teams at the end of the regular season and the frustration of the games 1-3 of the playoffs.

But anyway thanks for Max, we really needed a presence like his, even more so now that Pronger won't be coming back.

But anyway thanks for Max

I certainly miss Max on the Pens. Being a hockey fan first and a Penguins fan second, though, I'm glad that he's found a new home that works for him where he can play his game. In short, you're welcome :-)

@DinahMoeHumm

I never really understood the why your "best player" has to be your captain. I always have felt it should be your best leader. He should have a prominent role on the team (ie. can't be a fourth liner nobody), but I don't believe he needs to be your best player. Jason Smith is a great example of that.

That is not to take anything away from Giroux, because I think Giroux has a huge competitive heart and will do whatever it takes to win. Honestly, I prefer more of a vet guy to wear the C. It has to be someone that will garner respect by all and also have paid some dues. 21 - 23 y/o captains do not really bode that. Also, I think it is incredibly challenging for a 23 y/o to have to go up to a 30 - 33 y/o and ride his ass about whatever.

@Vanflyer

"Jason Smith is a great example of that."

"Also, I think it is incredibly challenging for a 23 y/o to have to go up to a 30 - 33 y/o and ride his ass about whatever."

Very good points. In the case of the Pens I'd probably be inclined to go with a guy like Orpik. A couple years ago when Guerin was on the team I thought he should have had the C locked up. But of course, as sarsippius mentioned, you can't strip it away from Crosby simply because of the butthurt it would cause. I'm curious who the popular choice for the Flyers captaincy would be among those on this board. And by that I mean "not necessarily the best player," as has been the discussion. Obviously Pronger's out of the mix, and Giroux is the most talented. But who is the best *leader*? sarsippius mentioned Talbot, which I can't argue with at all. Timonen? I know he's in his "twilight" years, but still. Jagr, should he return, has been a great player throughout his career but has never been good captain material in my opinion. Anyway, I guess I'm rambling now... :-\

@DinahMoeHumm

for me timmonen should have been the captain for 5 years now. so count him, daniel briere has been a co captain in buffalo and it was he who led the talk with Bryzgalov that seemed to help so he'd be an option, i'd consider Talbot now that he's been on the team for a year , i could easily put an A on his sweater, i would not make hartnell a captain, i wouldn't make G the captain yet.

@doom88

I was referring to this year when the "leadership group" sat Bryzgalov down and told him to STFU. Briere was the guy who spoke about it to the press So I reckoned he was doing some leadership stuff in that situation.

@doom88

I was referring to this year when the "leadership group" sat Bryzgalov down and told him to STFU. Briere was the guy who spoke about it to the press So I reckoned he was doing some leadership stuff in that situation.

I think I misread the prior post? But yeah, that is familiar.