Clutch Carter....ugh!

Guest ctid

Makes me sick to see Carter score an overtime winner in the freakin' stanley cup finals.

Happy about the trades and all, but still, overtime winner in the finals?? can't stand it that there are articles on the net saying how clutch carter is. The guy did nothing in the playoffs for the Flyers.

• Like 3

Articles of how clutch Carter is? Now that's funny. He was the most un-clutch for us for 6 years. Game six 2010 finals with under two to play? I'd love to see Richards (and Gagne) get a cup, but not Carter. The guy frustrated me for 6 years with his inability to raise his game in the playoffs, lack of physical play with his size, and his shoot first from anywhere high and wide mentality.

Makes me sick to see Carter score an overtime winner in the freakin' stanley cup finals.

Happy about the trades and all, but still, overtime winner in the finals?? can't stand it that there are articles on the net saying how clutch carter is. The guy did nothing in the playoffs for the Flyers.

I am pretty shocked to see carter playing "decent" on the wing after all his failures in Phily to do so. But to say clutch is a joke. Take away his hat trick and he has 7 points in 15 games. Pretty pedestrian. To put it into perspective, he NOW has ONE more point in the playoffs than Schenn.

Earlier in the game yesterday, I joked about his stock move of coming down the wing with speed and just cruising all the way around the boards and doing nothing. He did that exact same move in OT and got lucky.

I dont think that we "gave up on him" as much as some would like to believe I think that this was more of a salary dump. In a capless world I think that they would have kept both Carter and Richards. (pure speculation of course as we did not have a STH meeting this year to ask Homer these sorts of questions)

The thing that pisses me off the most about this situation is that Carter was not traded to the Kings; he handled himself quite unprofessionally during his trade and time in Colombus. He gave little effort in Columbus and basically whined his way out of town and into the finals on the coat tails of the rest of the Kings team. If we traded him and Richards to the Kings and he played well there all year and was a major contibutor I dont think that people would be as sickened by this situation.

Edited by Poulin20
  • Like 3

The thing that pisses me off the most about this situation is that Carter was not traded to the Kings; he handled himself quite unprofessionally during his trade and time in Colombus. He gave little effort in Columbus and basically whined his way out of town and into the finals on the coat tails of the rest of the Kings team.

did he really ?

not being a smart alec, but I hadn't heard anything about him in Columbus once he finally got there... other than he was injured for a while.

if that's true, then that's too bad the Flyers could have traded him to LA for JJ...

actually i'm good with how things worked out. but really had not heard of Carter being a little whiney ***** in Columbus. I was under the impression he was "good soldiering".

• Like 1

@mojo1917

@Poulin20

I don't know about "whined," but he certainly "sucked" in Columbus.

Combined with the way he reacted to the trade ("sulky" "mopey"), you could forgive someone for coming to the conclusion that he played himself out of Columbus.

Edited by Podein25
  • Like 1

did he really ?

not being a smart alec, but I hadn't heard anything about him in Columbus once he finally got there... other than he was injured for a while.

if that's true, then that's too bad the Flyers could have traded him to LA for JJ...

actually i'm good with how things worked out. but really had not heard of Carter being a little whiney ***** in Columbus. I was under the impression he was "good soldiering".

I had read it in a few places that he demanded a trade or was "unhappy"

The first inkling he was was a report on RDS.ca when he was asking for a trade early in the season

http://nhlhotstove.com/jeff-carter-demands-trade/

I had also read about it on puck daddy

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/jeff-carter-unhappiness-columbus-scaring-off-trade-partners-173947886.html

and even places like Bobby Holik's blog (yes he has a blog)

http://holikonhockey.com/bobby-blog/jeff-carter/

The whole thing in the beginning with hunkering down in his house post trade at the Jersey Shore made it clear about that he had an attitude of unprofessionalism IMHO.

I liked him while here (OK he was maddening at times) and if it wasnt for his contract I would have loved to see us try and continue with him but this attitude really pisses me off and is why I am going to hate seing him hoist the cup in a few days.

As far as trading him for JJ I like Jake and Coots better although we could use some more D as the Devils showed us.

• Like 1

@mojo1917

@Podein25

Let's not forget that Scott Howson and Rick Nash had to travel into Sea Isle City NJ last summer to convince Jeff to do some PR for the team that he was just traded to (and that was a couple of weeks after the trade went down). That is fact. Therefore, if only half of the other rumors about him are true, then I'd say yeah he cried his way into the arms of his boyfriend Mike Richards.

@Polaris922

No offense but you are either clueless about the Flyers organization, or you are obviously trolling to get a rise out of people.

For starters Jeff Carter was less than stellar in the playoffs for the Flyers. 21 points in 47 games is hardly clutch. In 2010 he couldn't hit a wide open net from 6' away to save his life. That could have been the difference between a Stanley Cup for the Flyers or a game 7 loss, but certainly not a game 6 loss. On top of that there were many rumors circulating about his on ice commitment vs his extracurricular social life. Lastly, the return was far too good to not trade him. Sean Couturier will be a far better player for years to come and on top of that he probably will not need Mike Richards to focus on doing his 6mm/yr job. Also, as others have stated, the Flyers organization needed to make room for their humongous big goalie contract/Russian Aerospace historian.

I know it's just a business, but I wouldn't blame anyone for whining if they got traded to a craphole like Columbus, I wouldn't blame anyone for trying to get out as best they could.

All that aside, Carter's game winner was a beaut. I want it to go to 5 just so I can see the Devils' fans in the stands sad.

Fixed it.

Couturier already has a higher hockey iq; that is for sure. like i said, i'm good with the way things worked out, voracek and couts make that deal a total win, heck voras alone makes that deal a draw in my book, he skates great and while his shot needs work,but he's a fine fine player, i just never hated carter the way most did and was surprised that JC was a malcontent punk in Columbus.

• Like 1

i just never hated carter the way most did and was surprised that JC was a malcontent punk in Columbus.

So now you do hate him? Lol

I saw the value in Carter: big shot, quick release. But I also saw early on that a. that value was one-dimensional; b. his hockey IQ was low and not likely to rise; c) he played too soft. The latter 3 clearly outweighed his shot. Add the d-baggery to it and you just know he had to go.

Edited by Podein25

The thing that pisses me off the most about this situation is that Carter was not traded to the Kings; he handled himself quite unprofessionally during his trade and time in Colombus. He gave little effort in Columbus and basically whined his way out of town and into the finals on the coat tails of the rest of the Kings team.

People seem to be accepting this as gospel but I've not seen it in print other than from Eklund. Has anyone read or heard this from a credible, authoritative source?

Edited by terp

@Polaris922

No offense but you are either clueless about the Flyers organization, or you are obviously trolling to get a rise out of people.

For starters Jeff Carter was less than stellar in the playoffs for the Flyers. 21 points in 47 games is hardly clutch. In 2010 he couldn't hit a wide open net from 6' away to save his life. That could have been the difference between a Stanley Cup for the Flyers or a game 7 loss, but certainly not a game 6 loss. On top of that there were many rumors circulating about his on ice commitment vs his extracurricular social life. Lastly, the return was far too good to not trade him. Sean Couturier will be a far better player for years to come and on top of that he probably will not need Mike Richards to focus on doing his 6mm/yr job. Also, as others have stated, the Flyers organization needed to make room for their humongous big goalie contract/Russian Aerospace historian.

I'm not trying to get a rise out if anybody. I know Carter struggled in the playoffs for you and I'm aware of the questioning of his efforts. I've only recently become aware of the rumors about his off ice activities though. My point is some folks here slam the guy like he stomped his feet and insulted the Flyers organization by demanding a trade or something. I understand being frustrated that he didn't put more into his time with the Flyers but that makes him young and foolish, not a traitor.

I agree with what a few have said that the trade seems to have been an eye opener for him and forced him to mature a little.

Malkin sucks in the playoffs most years and has streaks of questionable effort, but I don't see anybody thinking he's quit on us. Naslund was a good example of a guy that sucked as a Pen but being traded opened his eyes and he grew into a great hockey player.

Some guys need a life lesson is all.

I'm not trying to get a rise out if anybody. I know Carter struggled in the playoffs for you and I'm aware of the questioning of his efforts. I've only recently become aware of the rumors about his off ice activities though. My point is some folks here slam the guy like he stomped his feet and insulted the Flyers organization by demanding a trade or something. I understand being frustrated that he didn't put more into his time with the Flyers but that makes him young and foolish, not a traitor.

I agree with what a few have said that the trade seems to have been an eye opener for him and forced him to mature a little.

Malkin sucks in the playoffs most years and has streaks of questionable effort, but I don't see anybody thinking he's quit on us. Naslund was a good example of a guy that sucked as a Pen but being traded opened his eyes and he grew into a great hockey player.

Ever hear of Keith Primeau? ;)

Same kind of thing happened with him, and we all love him.

• Like 1

Ever hear of Keith Primeau? ;)

Same kind of thing happened with him, and we all love him.

And Prims only had that one decent playoffs and got so much mileage from it...yet people like to act as though he was this great player/wonderful leader. Too bad he had the concussion issues, maybe he could have built on that run. He and Hextall are overrated by this fan base IMO. I liked those guys fine , they were not consistently great , the way many seem to remember.

• Like 1

People seem to be accepting this as gospel but I've not seen it in print other than from Eklund. Has anyone read or heard this from a credible, authoritative source?

Check out post #11 in this thread where I gave a few random examples. This whole notion of him being unhappy started not with Eklund but with NHL sources named in an RDS.ca post early in the year where he demanded to be traded. From there up until the trade deadline you would heard now and then a blurb about Carter being unhappy and likely being on the trading block by the deadline and now he is about to hoist the cup.

I was never in the total Carter dislike camp...I just hate that IMHO he kind of lucked into the cup this year.

I guess its true what they say that you need to be lucky and good to win.

@terp

I've heard the guys on Hockey Central mention that Carter wasn't happy in Columbus. His numbers there were pretty average, so I'd take that for the truth. I never hated Carter, but I'd do that trade all day long.

The trade is right up there with Homer's best. No debate there.

People can be quick to jump on a player with little justification so I was intersted in knowing where the bad apple stuff came from. Seems plausible that his behavior fell somewhere between understandable and slightly petulant. I'm pretty sure that in addition to Nash, most of the team would like to get out of there but most of those players don't have any leverage and no one reports on them in the hockey press anyway.

Really? It was only a little over a month ago the Pittsburgh boards were inundated with fans screaming for just about every Pens head, with Fleury at the top of the list, but Malkin right up there especially in the first few games.

Some players need a life lesson. Some need a change of scenery. Some just take longer to devlop.

Carter was a guy who could have been a heck of a lot better. He just didn't put in an honest effort very often. Richards was probably our best player over the years he was here. I've never understood the hate he got on this board.

Really? It was only a little over a month ago the Pittsburgh boards were inundated with fans screaming for just about every Pens head, with Fleury at the top of the list, but Malkin right up there especially in ..,

Well I never saw the Pens forums inundated. I've never heard anyone in this city scream for Malkin's head. And those who cry for Fleury's are idiots. He had a horrible playoff yes, but is hardly the only one.

@Polaris922

I can agree with that Polaris. Carter has always taken a lot of heat from Philadelphia fans for many reasons, but it does seem that his recent trade has opened his eyes to playing hockey.

In my opinion, had there been no cap in the NHL Carter and Richards would still be part of this team. Meaning, that they weren't locker room cancer nor in and out of substance abuse clinics, nor living too recklessly (from what I gather).

Last year when the trades happened, I wasn't too shocked to see Carter go as I figured the Flyers would yield a good return. When the traded Richards my jaw dropped.

I guess in this game no one is safe.

Edited by Bertmega