Pens Acquire Vokoun from Capitals

Guest DinahMoeHumm

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/penguins-acquire-goalie-tomas-vokoun-162140556--nhl.html;_ylt=AsSdcC2SOQnflNlhZB6t44h7vLYF

"Vokoun spent only one season with the Capitals and is set to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1."

I guess that means Shero is pretty confident he can get him signed? And is this the end of Johnson? Hmm...

• Like 1

i thought johnson was a decent back up in 2011. Did his play slip this past year ?

Vokun will probably be pretty good in the back up role, i though Washington asked too much of him, though his role changed when all their young goalies sustained injuries and he played well early.

@sarsippius Same here, not only is Vokoun better than Bryz, we could have denied a direct division rival a fall back option in case Fleury started to stink like he did in the playoffs. We had the cap space to do this....I don't get it, give up a 6th instead of a 7th?!?!....unreal. The number one thing on the Flyers to do list should be upgrading the goaltending with a LEGIT option...not an unproven guy with promise....a guy who has history and respectable career numbers....that's Vokoun to me.

@jammer2

Exactly, his going to the Pens is just double jeopardy. I wonder if Homer entertained the thought, but my guess is no. I think he's sold on Bob being the backup, but IMO he's just wasting away back there. The young guy rots and Bryz flops, fanfreakintastic.

This time last year I was hoping they'd go after Vokun as a short term plug while they developed Bob.

• Like 1

Johnson has been a great locker room guy, always keeping things light and, up until this past season, has been a very serviceable backup. Remember last season when he bailed the Pens out during Fleury's horrible start to the season? This past year, however, his play dropped off significantly. One could argue that $2M for Vokoun as a backup is a little steep, but no one would have even raised an eyebrow if he'd been an available option during Fleury's inexplicable meltdown during the Pens/Flyers series this spring. Going forward I think that having Vokoun available to give Fleury some rest when needed (not to mention push him a little bit) will be a sure positive. At least I hope...