2012 LA KINGS - Team for the ages?

Guest trevluk

I know this is a little premature because they havent won anything yet but just giving props where due. When was the last time you saw a team so completely dominant in a playoff run? I dont think even the dynasty years of the Oilers or the Islanders saw a postseason so completely dominated by a team. They could go 14-2 in their cup run. That is pretty much running the table. That is pretty astonishing. A huge tip of my cap to that organization and what they have accomplished.

I know this is a little premature because they havent won anything yet but just giving props where due. When was the last time you saw a team so completely dominant in a playoff run? I dont think even the dynasty years of the Oilers or the Islanders saw a postseason so completely dominated by a team. They could go 14-2 in their cup run. That is pretty much running the table. That is pretty astonishing. A huge tip of my cap to that organization and what they have accomplished.

They're set to tie the record for accomplishing the Cup in the least amount if games if they sweep. And will have gone through the numbers 1, 2, and 3 seeds to do it as a number 8! Impressive!

They're set to tie the record for accomplishing the Cup in the least amount if games if they sweep. And will have gone through the numbers 1, 2, and 3 seeds to do it as a number 8! Impressive!

Easy when they've yet to play from behind ANY this playoff run. ;)

Definitely have to give credit where credit is due as it has been as dominating a playoff run that I can ever remember but dynasty? I doubt it. With the Bettman Hockey League and salary caps and revenue sharing the days of the dynasties are likely gone.

Lets go Kings and Get Hextall his Ring!

• Like 1

I know this is a little premature because they havent won anything yet but just giving props where due. When was the last time you saw a team so completely dominant in a playoff run?

It has been a long time. On the other hand, I suspect they are the only 8th seed EVER to dominate like this. On that basis, a special moment for sure.

Agreed, this is one of the most impressive playoff runs in Stanley Cup history, with a goalie having one of the greatest playoff runs EVER. For me that covers it.

I don't think this "team" is comparable to any dynasty team of the last 40 years--yet. Or even some of the great teams that have won Cups over a multi-year period. I don't think there is one future HOF'er on this team-as you look at careers to date. When I think of all-time teams/teams of the ages, I think of those the Canadiens, Islanders, Oilers teams of the 70, 80's...those teams dominated for years, regular season and playoffs, and each of those teams had multiple future hall of famers playing for them.

The Kings aren't there...at least not yet...could they be? Possibly, they are fairly young, and most of their key players are signed past next year, except Quick.

• Like 1

The Kings will be around for a while.

This is the greatest run that I have seen by a goalie in a long time. The only one that comes close is Giguere back in 2003 (when the Ducks lost to the Devils in 7).

Definitely have to give credit where credit is due as it has been as dominating a playoff run that I can ever remember but dynasty? I doubt it. With the Bettman Hockey League and salary caps and revenue sharing the days of the dynasties are likely gone.

Lets go Kings and Get Hextall his Ring!

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant that I have not seen a team this dominating in the playoffs since the dynasty years of the Oilers or Islanders. I recall those teams just plowing through the rounds of the playoffs a couple of times, meeting little resistance along the way, much like the Kings have this year. They have a long way to go though before they are in a "dynasty" discussion and I agree that the dynasty days are likely done anyhow. The Kings do have a scary good, young team that will have a ton of confidence going forward and they could be a contender for the next several years, but it's tough to keep all the pieces in place in this league.

Agreed, this is one of the most impressive playoff runs in Stanley Cup history, with a goalie having one of the greatest playoff runs EVER. For me that covers it.

I don't think this "team" is comparable to any dynasty team of the last 40 years--yet. Or even some of the great teams that have won Cups over a multi-year period. I don't think there is one future HOF'er on this team-as you look at careers to date. When I think of all-time teams/teams of the ages, I think of those the Canadiens, Islanders, Oilers teams of the 70, 80's...those teams dominated for years, regular season and playoffs, and each of those teams had multiple future hall of famers playing for them.

The Kings aren't there...at least not yet...could they be? Possibly, they are fairly young, and most of their key players are signed past next year, except Quick.

Yeah, I didnt mean the Kings should be in the discussion of a dynasty team, I meant I have seen a team dominate the playoffs so completely since some of the runs those dynasty teams made en route to a Cup.

Yeah, I didnt mean the Kings should be in the discussion of a dynasty team, I meant I have seen a team dominate the playoffs so completely since some of the runs those dynasty teams made en route to a Cup.

Let me preface this by saying i've only been able to follow since 1990 because i live down here in South Carolina but i have never seen any goaltender and combo of a team dominate before like THIS...

...unbelievable like i stated earlier in the thread...to never yet at anytime "even trail in a game"...is just unheard of...

OT: Would it be even remotely possible after the Kings win it all that the Flyers could land Bernier for Bob and something/someone...to be the backup??? Just a thought...

Edited by OccamsRazor

I would say it is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy to early to make any sort of judgement on that. Yes they are very talented but what if it is a case of players all getting hot at the right time or if they simply got lucky that they matched up well with the teams they faced on the way to the cup? I think when a team wins consistently (multiple championships in a short period of time) is when they can start being considered a team for the ages until then it could be that they were really good and got a little lucky along the way. The Oilers and Isles proved that that was not the case for them. The Kings need time to prove that.

It has been a long time. On the other hand, I suspect they are the only 8th seed EVER to dominate like this. On that basis, a special moment for sure.

Unless you take into account they were one of the favorites to win the cup going into the season, then horrendously underachieved throughout the year. If it wasn't for Quick, the team wouldn't even have made the playoffs. Looking at their roster, that would have been pretty pathetic.

Unless you take into account they were one of the favorites to win the cup going into the season, then horrendously underachieved throughout the year. If it wasn't for Quick, the team wouldn't even have made the playoffs. Looking at their roster, that would have been pretty pathetic.

I felt all along that the singular cause of the team's underachieving so ridiculously was Terry Murray. And I actually like the guy, but the truth is, he is a mediocre (at best) head coach. He has bounced around in this league like a ping pong ball throughout his career and has absolutely no accomplishments whatsoever.

Once they hired a REAL head coach, the team started playing up to their potentials. The JJ/Carter trade had very little to do with their success. That's why I am surprised how little recognition Derryl Sutter is getting amongst all this talk about why the team is doing so well. Sure, Quick, Kopitar and Dustin Brown are playing out of their minds - Quick particularly - but Sutter deserves tons of credit.

@Mad Dog

Well, Murray did instill a defence first strategy that is obviously working for the team. They just needed Sutter to come in and teach them to play hungrier.

I don't know i got to say it was more just Quick playing out his ******* mind for 17 games so far...

...even in their 2 losses.

He could have done all this even if they had Zherdev on their squad he's playing that GOOD!

Hell Quick has looked better in his playoff losses than Bryz looked in his playoffs wins....SAD.

with a goalie having one of the greatest playoff runs EVER. For me that covers it.

I think this is the key. Without Quick in goal, how well do they do? The guy is absolutely amazing! I'm sitting here wishing, dreaming, hoping for the day the Flyers can have that kind of skill in goal. It's so frustrating. But I don't want to take anything away from the Kings. Amazing run, but ultra-uber-stellar-amazing goaltending.

I don't know i got to say it was more just Quick playing out his ******* mind for 17 games so far...

...even in their 2 losses.

He could have done all this even if they had Zherdev on their squad he's playing that GOOD!

Hell Quick has looked better in his playoff losses than Bryz looked in his playoffs wins....SAD.

Quick is definately the key. But a lot of shots are rushed, there aren't a lot of second chances, and anyone standing in front of him is taking an outright beating.

I was watching both Brodeur and Quick last night, and I was thinking "What one trait does Bryzgalov have that's equal or better than either of these two guys". Athleticism? Ya, right. Puck handling? LOL. Glove hand? LMFAO! Lateral movem....hahaha! Ability to make the big save? Nope. Skating. No. Personality? I'm killing myself. Confidence? Please, just stop. Does he let in that backbreaking bad goal? Almost every single game.

Then i finally figured it out. Bryzgalov is taller than either of these two guys. He plays smaller, but he's actually taller than them.

Quick is definately the key. But a lot of shots are rushed, there aren't a lot of second chances, and anyone standing in front of him is taking an outright beating.

I was watching both Brodeur and Quick last night, and I was thinking "What one trait does Bryzgalov have that's equal or better than either of these two guys". Athleticism? Ya, right. Puck handling? LOL. Glove hand? LMFAO! Lateral movem....hahaha! Ability to make the big save? Nope. Skating. No. Personality? I'm killing myself. Confidence? Please, just stop. Does he let in that backbreaking bad goal? Almost every single game.

Then i finally figured it out. Bryzgalov is taller than either of these two guys. He plays smaller, but he's actually taller than them.

I agree not much to compare but i will say that of the two Bob has a better chance to be like Quick than Bryz.

Heres why i say that because one of Bob's biggest assets is his quickness, reflexes and lateral movement which is closer to Quick than say Bryz...

..now in no way yet am i saying he is close to Quick but i think he has better tools to work with and the potential upside to be like him.

Like you said Bryz is just taller that is it...but confidence can go along way with him...he relies more on positioning and pucks hitting him...

...you'll never see him come out and challenge shooters like Quick or Thomas just because he is too slow to recover and the shooter i believe would just deke him and skate around his spralling a$$...

..it's just not his game so no matter how hard he tries he'll never be able to play like Quick.

But Bob i believe has the potential...but they may be done trying to give him and chance so they may trade hhim too soon to become the Partick Sharpe of goaltending for the Flyers...the guy the let go to soon.

I agree not much to compare but i will say that of the two Bob has a better chance to be like Quick than Bryz.

Heres why i say that because one of Bob's biggest assets is his quickness, reflexes and lateral movement which is closer to Quick than say Bryz...

..now in no way yet am i saying he is close to Quick but i think he has better tools to work with and the potential upside to be like him.

Like you said Bryz is just taller that is it...but confidence can go along way with him...he relies more on positioning and pucks hitting him...

...you'll never see him come out and challenge shooters like Quick or Thomas just because he is too slow to recover and the shooter i believe would just deke him and skate around his spralling a$$...

..it's just not his game so no matter how hard he tries he'll never be able to play like Quick.

But Bob i believe has the potential...but they may be done trying to give him and chance so they may trade hhim too soon to become the Partick Sharpe of goaltending for the Flyers...the guy the let go to soon.

Yeah, it just feels like a kick to the stomach too doesn't it. Finally have a goalie with promise, raw skills, and work ethic - and they bring in a headcase albatross to force in net regardless of who's playing better at the time. Ugh.

I think if Bob played last season, we as fans would as least know more about him. Bluntly, I think Bob needed last season and this coming one before 'judgement' is made - assuming he was starting > 50% of course. Oh well.

like i stated earlier in the thread...to never yet at anytime "even trail in a game"

The Kings have lost three games by two goals. I'm pretty sure they must have trailed at some point in each of those games, seeing as they obviously weren't overtime games. But still (doing the math, carrying the two...) trailing only about 77 minutes out of about 1064 played these playoffs is pretty durned impressive.

The Bruins were a pretty mediocre team last year, with Tim Thomas being the difference. A similar thing is happening this year. Maybe next year Brygalov will live up to the hype. Hopefully.

@TedZep

i think this kings team has more talent than last year's broons. a lot more talent.

the kings are solid , really solid through their top 9 forwards and top 2 d pairings, kopitar brown richards mitchell doughty scuderi williams green... crap simon gagne is their 3rd line left wing... that's way more good players than the broons..who were two lines one d pair and thomas.

While I tend to doubt Bob will ever be close to as good as Quick, Bob has the time, inherent talent and work ethic to outperform his current projection as a less than elite goaltender. I'm not in a rush to see him moved.