Carter Hatred!

Guest idahophilly

@clothehsnager13

"So think twice before you go judging me based on location because I've seen almost every NHL game he's ever played in"

Well, that's the first I've ever heard of a person whose favorite team is the Kings, yet watched every Flyers game for the last 5 years. But hey this the internet so we can all be who we want to be. And no offense, but the judging was done by the person who made this condescending, smug-a$$ statement:

"totally changing my member picture to one of carter raising the cup when it happens, so that all the haters have to see it. Unwarranted hatred, consistent numbers every year. its never one guy that makes a team bad, and the flyers were never even a bad team when he was in philly."

What kind of a reaction do you expect to that? You must know that claiming you're going to "punish" people whose opinion you don't share is a bit childish? Almost as childish as me taking the time to respond to it...... For the record nobody said the Flyers lack of a Cup was Carter's fault, so I think your judgement on the "haters" is incorrect. I think the prevailing thought here is that for 5 years he was a floater who played soft when it counted....as when it didn't count to be quite honest.

Peace

@clothehsnager13

Just to be clear: are you an ex-Flyer fan turned Kings fan? Or just a fan of Frosted Tips?

I've always been a fan of both teams, more so a flyers fan and then slowly forming into a passionate kings fans due to personel and style of play. As for the frosted tips, ill agree with sarsippius and say that I can't back any soggy cereal but the only one who has ever successfully pulled off frosted tips is charley conway himself: http://www.josh-jackson.net/images/albums/Magazines/2000/TV%20GUIDE_04-00/02.jpg

@clothehsnager13

"So think twice before you go judging me based on location because I've seen almost every NHL game he's ever played in"

Well, that's the first I've ever heard of a person whose favorite team is the Kings, yet watched every Flyers game for the last 5 years. But hey this the internet so we can all be who we want to be. And no offense, but the judging was done by the person who made this condescending, smug-a$$ statement:

"totally changing my member picture to one of carter raising the cup when it happens, so that all the haters have to see it. Unwarranted hatred, consistent numbers every year. its never one guy that makes a team bad, and the flyers were never even a bad team when he was in philly."

What kind of a reaction do you expect to that? You must know that claiming you're going to "punish" people whose opinion you don't share is a bit childish? Almost as childish as me taking the time to respond to it...... For the record nobody said the Flyers lack of a Cup was Carter's fault, so I think your judgement on the "haters" is incorrect. I think the prevailing thought here is that for 5 years he was a floater who played soft when it counted....as when it didn't count to be quite honest.

Peace

Gotta lighten up a bit. I wasn't intending for anyone to take my comment so strongly to heart. I don't try to be anything but good natured on here and if I thought for a second that anyone would actually be so offended at a potential picture change, I wouldn't have done it. If you would like I'll take the comment down, you need only to ask.

Gotta lighten up a bit. I wasn't intending for anyone to take my comment so strongly to heart. I don't try to be anything but good natured on here and if I thought for a second that anyone would actually be so offended at a potential picture change, I wouldn't have done it. If you would like I'll take the comment down, you need only to ask.

It's all good, nobody would be offended by a picture change.

Let's start over, hi I'm sarsippius and overreact sometimes and I hate frosted flakes

It's all good, nobody would be offended by a picture change.

Let's start over, hi I'm sarsippius and overreact sometimes and I hate frosted flakes

Haha, hello sarsippius, im Trevor AKA clotheshanger13, I tend to talk to much about jeff carter and the flyers even though i live in santa cruz. i write a mildly crappy blog here on the site and im more of a lucky charms fan myself.

In the playoffs, he underachieved. Everybody knows it. But so did many other Flyers players. The Flyers are perennial playoffs underachievers.

Perennial playoff underachievers? This year was not an underachievement. That SCF against Chicago was not an underachievement. Even the year we faced the Red Wings was not an underachievement.

Over-expectations, sure. Underachievement. I can name many more over-achievement Flyer teams since the cup years than under. Over-expectations, sure. Over-managed, sure. Under- goalied, sure!@

@Vanflyer

OK, I'll give you these playoffs. But if you look over a larger time span (say........ over the last 37 years), wouldn't you say they underachieved in the most ridiculous, almost unheard-of way?

Not over the last fifteen or so.

@maddog

i'm not sure there is a team in the league that realistically expects to win the cup every year.

the good Flyers teams of the late 80's didn't underachieve they had the misfortune of being the 2nd best team of the era, the best team, the Oilers was a dynasty and is considered one of the top groups of all time.

the good flyers teams of the early 80's had to contend with another great team in the Islanders and they beat them in 1980... oh wait, should have won in 80.

the good flyers teams of the 90's had marty broduer in his prime to beat as well as some stupid rules and tactics devised to specifically neutralize our best player yayy neutral zone trap.

as vanflyer pointed out, the team that did make the finals ran into a buzz saw Wings team that would have been a dynasty had not the limo crashed, but wound up being a great team over the span of 15 years.

hard for me to say the flyers underachieved and believe it. the year we blew game six vs the penguins, and the '11 team with goaltender roulette quitting vs the bruins, but other than that, i can't think of any teams the should have won more it but didn't.

it is the hardest tournament in sports to win, some franchises have never won it, some haven't in my lifetime.

our guys are almost always good, with a superlative winning percentage, they have never threatened the city with moving... there is a culture of winning with the flyers that over half the other teams in the league cannot claim.

hard for me to say the flyers underachieved and believe it.

Really? You mean losing to Florida in the second round in '95 was not underachiving? Losing to Buffalo in the 1st round in 97 was not underachieving? Losing to Toronto teh following year, again in the 1st round, was not underachieving? Losing to Buffalo (again) in 2000 and Ottawa in 2001 (both in the first round) was not underachieving? Losing to Buffalo in 2005 in the 1st round was not underacheivng either?

it is the hardest tournament in sports to win, some franchises have never won it, some haven't in my lifetime.

our guys are almost always good, with a superlative winning percentage, they have never threatened the city with moving... there is a culture of winning with the flyers that over half the other teams in the league cannot claim.

This is not to be taken the wrong way, Mojo, but this mindset is exactly what makes me want to shake my head. Some of the Flyers' fans seem to continue getting content with the fact that the Flyers always stay competative and are willing to do whatever it takes to win. I mean that's great and I respect that a lot. I really do. But again, when you can't win the Cup in 30 fricking 7 years, simply being competative and good, and have a winning mentatility, is no longer good enough. Why stop half way? I just can't understand that attitude at all. Why not try to strive for success like Detroit and Devils did instead of thinking of the teams (like Toronto, Ottawa and Washington) who have a similar futility?

Not winning Cup in 37 years is a definition of underachievement. You can disagree with that, and that's fine.

Edited by Mad Dog

@maddog

those losses in 2000-01 were not surprising to me, ottawa was loaded that year, and our team was big and slow vs the sabres....both times we lost.

'95 caused us to then sign the beezer over cujo so that has it's own stain. but was an upset so i'll give you that one we should have won there but were bested by a hot goalie.

you have to have a ticket to get in the door this team consistently puts itself where it has an opportunity to win.

teams like detroit are the exception not the rule, i don't know what their scouts look for, that they are always finding gems like zetterberg and datsuyk after everyone else has picked. the devils ruined the game with their style so with regard to" striving for success like the devils", no thanks.

I want the Flyers to win the cup , i wouldn't say i'm content with always being at the dance , i want to hook up with the pretty girl too.

i get what you are saying, but in my sporting lifetime i've given my best and still lost, in every situation; as an underdog, as a favorite as a complementary player as a go-to player, compete long enough you get to experience all of it... the losing always sucked, but i had to learn that i could not always equate the result with the effort or my self esteem would be shot. i always tried to leave it all on the field or court ,if i did that it made the losing easier to deal with. so when i think of underachieving it is through that lens.

so now that you know that, you'll see how my opinion differs from yours with respect to underachieving i'll give you ottawa when they quit on barber, i'll give you last year when they quit on each other, i'll give you 09 when they blew it vs the pens in game 6. those were teams that by my definition underachieved.

Its a glass half full or half empty argument. Mojo, you pointed out the positives and only the positives ( but did responde to the negatives in the next post) and Van pointed out the negatives and only the negatives. If given the choice, I will concentrate on the positives while hoping my team strives for perfection, which is nearly the only way any hockey fan will be satisfied and one and only one team gets that each year.You just gotta hope you punch a ticket to the dance each year. Just ask LA. Seems its working out for them this year... For us fans, It's really a mental thing. Do you wish to be happy more often than not or unhappy more often than not?

I just can't believe how polarizing Carter is! I was just bring the article to peoples attention. If you don't like it then don't read it. Besides, I didn't say I agrred with everyting. Just bringing some info incase anyone missed it...Jeez....

That game 6 against Pitt goes squarely on beachball Biron. Blowing a three goal lead at home? Screw that guy. The team didn't underachieve except by technicality. The goalie let them down at the worst time (if I had a nickel for every time...)

That game 6 against Pitt goes squarely on beachball Biron. Blowing a three goal lead at home? Screw that guy. The team didn't underachieve except by technicality. The goalie let them down at the worst time (if I had a nickel for every time...)

Biron was pathetic.

God.... Can we EVER somehow get a goalie? I don't even know what, at this point, it will take to land a decent goalie. A miracle, I guess. Can Homer, maybe, organize a party to abduct Quick, put a make-up on him, and pass him for Bryzgalov? lol