Lappy to make it official

Guest DaGreatGazoo

Warrior...sums him up perfectly.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/flyers-talk/Report-Laperriere-finally-set-to-retire?blockID=721474&feedID=695

We’ve known for a while a return to the NHL wasn’t in the cards for Laperriere, who last hit the ice for the Flyers in Game 6 of the 2010 Cup Final against the Chicago Blackhawks. But because of rules in the CBA regarding players who sign contracts after the age of 35, he hasn’t been able to retire because, if he did, his salary would be held against the Flyers. Instead, Laperriere has remained on the team’s long-term injured reserve list, even while he's appeared on CSN's programming like Flyers Pregame Live and Postgame Live.

Laperriere, who sustained a head injury during the Flyers’ quarterfinal series against the New Jersey Devils in 2010, has remained around the team despite being unable to play – at times helping coach younger players.

Despite the severity of his career-ending injury, Laperriere said he is able to lead a normal life.

"I am able to have a normal life,” he told Canoe.ca, “but have a normal life and play in the NHL, this is not the same thing."

The Flyers signed Laperriere as a free agent in 2009, and the gritty, checking-line winger quickly became a fan favorite. During his sole season with the Flyers, he took two pucks directly to the head/face – famously returning to the ice after being hit in the mouth by a puck in game against the Buffalo Sabres on Nov 27

Ian Laperriere was made to wear the Orange and Black. He personifies the blue collar worker.My only regret is it took too long to get him in the right uniform. He will go down in history as the shortest tenured, most loved Flyer. I am not sure if he is affiliated with the Phantoms team yet, but it seems to me he would be a pretty damn good coach. Kudos to him for his courageous and absolutely fearless play. As a fan of the game, I salute him for leading by example. Good Luck with whatever endeavors you pursue IAP. I am positive that you will have the tenacity to achieve it.

Ian Laperriere was made to wear the Orange and Black. He personifies the blue collar worker.My only regret is it took too long to get him in the right uniform. He will go down in history as the shortest tenured, most loved Flyer. I am not sure if he is affiliated with the Phantoms team yet, but it seems to me he would be a pretty damn good coach. Kudos to him for his courageous and absolutely fearless play. As a fan of the game, I salute him for leading by example. Good Luck with whatever endeavors you pursue IAP. I am positive that you will have the tenacity to achieve it.

Exactly exact. I can't believe how much I loved him playing for the Flyers after less than a single full season. That's what some newer style players don't understand, it's not about lighting up the scoreboard, it's about playing 100%. Getting on Philly fans' good side is easy, just do your job.

Sad to see it end this way Lappy, but it was an absolute treat to watch you play in Philly. Thank you for your efforts, they will not be forgotten (see: Kapanen).

• Like 1

Ian Laperriere was made to wear the Orange and Black.

He sure was... which makes it even more regrettable that we only got one year out of him. I could see some great things; just wasn't meant to me, I guess.

hopefully we can keep him in the organization to mentor our young players.

guys like him always seem to make great coaches, they have the credibility with the talented kids because they played in the bigs with less ability, they inspire the fringe guys by showing that with hard work you can make a difference, they're the kind of guys that if they have the right personality and charisma can have a decades long influence on an organization.