Hartnell now playing to contract, 7th sign confirmed world to end,

Guest mojo1917

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20111211_Inside_the_Flyers___Flyers_overcoming_adversity.html

there's a link to noted, muckraker Sam Carchidi's latest blog or whatever he writes. about 3/4 of the way down he sings the praises of one Scott Hartnell.

I have always been a fan of Hartnell's personality, i like that he's a good bloke in the room, and has fun with being a pro athlete. the fact that his twitter feed is #Hartnelldown is good insight as to why he's a good guy to have on your team even when he's not playing well.

he scraps, works hard if not always smart; if he would take 1/3 less penalties (eliminate the stupid ones) we'd have nothing to complain about other than his haircut, which he would probably roll with.

good to see him contributing at such a high level

Hartnell has had some nice runs in the past. During our trip to the finals he played some great hockey. And no, that's not sarcasm. It's funny how valuable he can be, and how absolutely useless he is at other times. But he's definately a character, and that also adds to his value. When he's on his game, he's the type of player you need to win a championship, both on and off the ice.

Hartnell seems to play his best when he's on a VERY defined line and he has a VERY defined role. His last great run was when he was with Leino/Danny B. That line was very clearly defined as was his role on that line.

To start the year, his place on the team (as well as everyone else's) was not clearly defined and he was a line nomad. Tada... he consistently plays on a line and clearly has the defined role of digging in the trenches for Giroux/Jagr and he's back on top of his game. Pretty clear imo.

Hartnell's NTC had kicked in. Richards' and Crater's had not. They could move Richards and Crater without needing their approval. They could not move Hartnell without his.

The Giroux/Jagr pairing with Hartnell is perfect for him. Like many/most power forwards, Hartnell is a product of the line he's on. With a creative C and a solid guy on the other W, it opens up the ice for Hartnell to play his game. He can be almost a forgotten third man as teams focus on trying to shut down Jagr and worry about Giroux.

@Leach27

I thought i read that Hartnell was having some kind of nerve problem that was causing him to have numbness on his left side over the summer / beginnig of camp.so that alone may have prevented him from being dealt or asked to waive the ntc... he wouldn't have passed a physical.

maybe that's what homer knew.

@quigly46

Giroux was going to break out with carter and richards playing somewhere else regardless of who was on his line; unless you saddled him with shelley and nodl.

@Leach27

I thought i read that Hartnell was having some kind of nerve problem that was causing him to have numbness on his left side over the summer / beginnig of camp.so that alone may have prevented him from being dealt or asked to waive the ntc... he wouldn't have passed a physical.

maybe that's what homer knew.

@quigly46

Giroux was going to break out with carter and richards playing somewhere else regardless of who was on his line; unless you saddled him with shelley and nodl.

as well as an elevated heart rate... at one point I was wondering if we were going to see him regularly. Great to see him performing as well as he has this season!

http://www.philly.co..._adversity.html

he scraps, works hard if not always smart; if he would take 1/3 less penalties (eliminate the stupid ones) we'd have nothing to complain about other than his haircut, which he would probably roll with.

He's still taking some but I don't think he's taking that many stupid penalties. 29 games in and he only has 30 PIMs. I'm guessing that 20 of those PIMs are from fighting.

@AlaskaFlyerFan

30 pims, wow that's much lower than i'd have expected and not where that number was headed early in the year.

i'm pretty sure the line he's on isn't hurting him with regard to not taking those lazy stick penalties, G and Jagr as so strong on the puck that once they gain possession they're attacking; not chasing / reaching while a guy is blowing past them after a turnover on a dump in...and when that does happen those guys move their feet to get back, and that kind of stuff rubs off.