Crosby seeking $90M deal?

Guest Irishjim

Though he's played fewer than 30 games since January 2011, Sidney Crosby's next blockbuster payday is still coming -- it's just a matter of how much. And while negotiations aren't really allowed to start yet, it's probably natural that the two sides have floated some informal information back and forth about each other's ideas and desires. James Mirtle, reputable journalist out Toronto, tweeted about what Elliotte Friedman said on TV: "So @FriedgeHNIC reports on Satellite Hotstove Crosby will likely get something close to 10-year deal near July 1. Could be $9-million cap hit." We'll see if there's any truth to the chatter.

PensBurgh

Wow, a guy that is one real good hit away from becoming a short bus rider is sure proud of himself......

The guy took $8.7 mill to play settling for less than what most thought he could demand to play and allow them to sign Malkin to the same deal. So he wants a $300k raise for ten years? Plus this "news report" is most likely speculation, and lays out no terms regarding his health, bonuses, or other qualifying information. if he wants 9 that's great for The Pens as the salary cap goes up.

Yes his health is a concern but I'm sure there would be conditions on such a long term deal.

Yes his health is a concern but I'm sure there would be conditions on such a long term deal.

Good luck getting his agent to agree to that....unless he is a complete idiot...I would actually LOVE to see Crysby signed for the next 10 yrs at 9 mil per......It would pretty much guarantee the Pens would be on the short end of the stick to sign any kind of supporting cast. And before you make the Bryz comparison, his cap hit is only 5.6 mil or something along those lines...

Good luck getting his agent to agree to that....unless he is a complete idiot...I would actually LOVE to see Crysby signed for the next 10 yrs at 9 mil per......It would pretty much guarantee the Pens would be on the short end of the stick to sign any kind of supporting cast. And before you make the Bryz comparison, his cap hit is only 5.6 mil or something along those lines...

So setting aside your Flyer born hatred for the man, you wouldn't sign him at $9 mill for that talent level? If his rights were the Flyers'?

@Polaris922

speaking only for myself, who can play on his wing that will help him at that price ?

plus i think that much money for one player who will see only 20 minutes a night max, is too much. maybe you part with that much cap space for a defensmen that gives you 10 more minutes a night, but i think that cap number makes the idea of crosby's talent less appealing,also, i'd be afraid that he signs that deal and then is on the litr for the next 10 years... we're kind of seeing that with chris pronger.

so no, i don't think he'd be worth it even if he was a flyer. , i think the roster suffers a talent deficiency because you have 20 million cap dollars tied up in two centers, where does the rest of the quality talent come from? the chance to play with an elite center will only carry so much weight that you'll settle for less money.

Well it's pretty simple to me... Crosby is the best player in the world. Malkin is top four in my eyes. The two combined have put them in the hunt for the Presidents Trophy more often than not, and though the playoffs have been disappointing the past couple of years, they won a Cup at young ages. They have Letang, Neal, Orpik and Fleury penned for a ways yet. The guy wants to $300k raise when the cap is moving up an expected $4 mill? If Geno does like last time and says he wants the same... That means two of the best in the world are costing a mere $600k more a year. With guys signing for what they have been I can see us in the hunt every year for a few good years to come.

@Polaris922

well you asked...

and i was pretty sure what your opinion would be in the conversation , and you probably suspected the flyers fans to talk about the effect of the teams quality depth with regard to the cap.

i have a legitimate question about his head injury going forward and how it will effect his game, part of what i felt made him so dangerous was his ability to stick handle and be hard on the puck in front of the net, if he has a concern about his noggin he will do that less, or in a worst case for the game he goes in there and gets cleaned out by a large physical player and isn't able to play again ever. hard for me to want to back the brinks truck up for that guy.

it's why i was sad but ultimately okay to see simon gagne let go before his time, I don't what has happened to Ian Laperrier and Chris Pronger and Keith Primeau to happen to anyone else.

@Polaris922

well you asked...

and i was pretty sure what your opinion would be in the conversation , and you probably suspected the flyers fans to talk about the effect of the teams quality depth with regard to the cap.

i have a legitimate question about his head injury going forward and how it will effect his game, part of what i felt made him so dangerous was his ability to stick handle and be hard on the puck in front of the net, if he has a concern about his noggin he will do that less, or in a worst case for the game he goes in there and gets cleaned out by a large physical player and isn't able to play again ever. hard for me to want to back the brinks truck up for that guy.

it's why i was sad but ultimately okay to see simon gagne let go before his time, I don't what has happened to Ian Laperrier and Chris Pronger and Keith Primeau to happen to anyone else.

I'm 100% in agreement there. If he stats healthy, and that's a big IF... Then it's a good investment. He brings in more $$ I think than he costs. I think you're dead on with the concussion issue.

And I DO appreciate the reply. I like other fans' opinions from competitor teams. I think it keeps us all grounded more in reality.

I think this really illustrates something that needs to be considered in the new CBA.I don't advocate the NFL method, where you can cut a guy any time and not have to worry about paying him or the future cap hit (save for the bonus proration).... but if I guy has his career ended, why should the team be saddled with his cap hit?....LTIR shenanigans aside

• Like 1

So setting aside your Flyer born hatred for the man, you wouldn't sign him at $9 mill for that talent level? If his rights were the Flyers'?

With his current injury record, no way in hell do I sign him for 9 years. If by some miracle of fate he could stay healthy for the 9 years, 9 mil per would be an absolute steal. I might hate his whining and diving a$$ but I still acknowledge his abilities. The problem is it is only a matter of time before he is Kronwalled and needs to be spoon fed for the rest of his life......

EDIT>>>Sorry I repeated what most on here already said. I responded before I read the rest of the thread...

I'm 100% in agreement there. If he stats healthy, and that's a big IF... Then it's a good investment. He brings in more $$ I think than he costs. I think you're dead on with the concussion issue.

And I DO appreciate the reply. I like other fans' opinions from competitor teams. I think it keeps us all grounded more in reality.

I have no problem with the contract amount. Yet the years seem to long to me. He will be 26 by the sime he suits up to play under the new contract. That puts him at 36 by the end of the contract- and regardless of how the contract is structured and being concussion free, there is no way that I think a 32 - 36 y/o Crosby is worth a 9m cap hit. Of course I am using a foggy crystal ball, but c'mon, the odds are highly stacked that he can perform at a 9M dollar level into his mid thirties. Early 30's, I will give him the not. but that ends at 32 for me. So, in that mindset, I put the contract at 3-4 years too long.

My next point would be Malkin. While Richards / Carter are not of the same echelon as Crosby / Malkin, I saw a couple of times where Richards would get injured and Carter would step up his game significantly. I have seen the EXACT same thing with Crosby / Malkin. In that vein, here is where Crosby's concussion issues become signigant. Pre-concussion, you could have a pretty fair argument that Crosby was the better of the two. Post, I don't agree. Each of the players do different things better than the other. Yet, for my dollar, I take the bigger Malkin.

Next is crosby's trade value. There are going to be SOME teams that will be willing to trade for him and take the risk on his noggin. The return will be significant (2-3 players + picks). If I am Shero, I do the trade. Particularly if it includes an elite defensemen.

The last point is the destractions that Crosby injuries cause. Having been there and done that in the Lindros era, there comes a point where everybody just wears thin of it. It is not Crosby's fault, yet it is a by product of being Crosby, just like with lindros.

So, in the end if I am shero, I depart with Crosby and get: a) elevated play from Malkin at the on ice leader; B) some mid-high quality assets / picks in return; c) fiscal responsibility; d) removal of injury / distraction risk and e) in the end hopefully a much more balanced team.

EDIT>>>Sorry I repeated what most on here already said. I responded before I read the rest of the thread...

Not a problem bud. I still appreciate the feedback. The injuries are what have everyone here in Pittsburgh concerned too. I've spoken to Doctor Burke who is with the Pens at a lot of USA Hockey coaches clinics. He seems to be of the impression that Crosby's injury was so long healing because it wasn't properly diagnosed the first time. The soft tissue damage to the neck is where they think the majority of the issue came from, so he's relating it to one long term injury. Does that mean it's likely to happen again? Nobody seems to know. Like everyone else though I would think he's more prone to it now.

Each of the players do different things better than the other. Yet, for my dollar, I take the bigger Malkin.

The only issue with Malkin is he is an occasional no show come playoff time. I love the guy, and he has a wealth of talent. But he DOES have bouts of laziness and come playoff time I don't quite know what happens to him. Not taking anything away from Couturier's play against him this past season, but three of his five years in the playoffs he's become human again. Last season was horrific. This season not much better. I honestly think Crosby's play activates Malkin. His first years he seemed like he pouted a little, and then he won a scoring title. Now he seems to compete harder when Sid's in the game too. I think they've grown together.

Guess we'll all see what Shero does. I think Shero is hockey smart, and makes a lot of good moves. I'll put faith in him till the team falls out of contention.

The only issue with Malkin is he is an occasional no show come playoff time. I love the guy, and he has a wealth of talent. But he DOES have bouts of laziness and come playoff time I don't quite know what happens to him.

Sean Couturier says "HELLO MUTHA FU*CKA!!!!!" He absolutely smothered Malkinstein every time he stepped on the ice. Malkin was at least trying even if he was unable to get clear of Cooter who was on him like a wet shirt(figuratively not literally).

Sean Couturier says "HELLO MUTHA FU*CKA!!!!!" He absolutely smothered Malkinstein every time he stepped on the ice. Malkin was at least trying even if he was unable to get clear of Cooter who was on him like a wet shirt(figuratively not literally).

Couturier did well against him, but he had an even worse series his last playoff year two seasons ago. He still had 3 goals and 5 assists in 6 games against Couturier opposed to 5 goals and 6 assists in 13 games two seasons ago. He isn't consistent in the playoffs, Couturier or otherwise.

i can't fault Malkin, he was working hard space was tough for him to find, i think couturier presents a problem for just about any center he lines up against. Malkin left it all out there this year, he was visibly upset by the circumstance and was busting his ass right up to his last shift... that he disappeared in this years playoffs was more a result of the effort against him not his effort.

i can't fault Malkin, he was working hard space was tough for him to find, i think couturier presents a problem for just about any center he lines up against. Malkin left it all out there this year, he was visibly upset by the circumstance and was busting his ass right up to his last shift... that he disappeared in this years playoffs was more a result of the effort against him not his effort.

He always does. He busts his ass right to the finish then just loses the puck or shoots wide, makes one too many cuts... It's like he tries TOO hard if there is such a thing. Gotta love him though.

Last season was horrific. This season not much better.

I thought Flyers fans were harsh and cynical, but man you might take it to a completely different level. 19 pts in 19 games over the "horrific" last year and the "not so much better" this year. Perhaps what you were trying to express in your demolition of him over the last two years is that he has not been a factor or game changer. I can buy into that, but man, he is one guy.

For the record, he is 1.19 ppg over his playoff career and Sidney is 1.32. I sort of get the "complimentary" part, but truth be told, I don't want of need that "complimentary" aspect if it is costing me 18M for the two players. They have been together 5 years. Two SCF and one cup. Pretty impressive, but I will say that that road has been worn. Better to get assets for crosby to shore up that d and even perhaps move Fleury (while good, I think we can all agree he is not the end all be all he was initially hailed to be).

I thought Flyers fans were harsh and cynical, but man you might take it to a completely different level. 19 pts in 19 games over the "horrific" last year and the "not so much better" this year. Perhaps what you were trying to express in your demolition of him over the last two years is that he has not been a factor or game changer. I can buy into that, but man, he is one guy.

For the record, he is 1.19 ppg over his playoff career and Sidney is 1.32. I sort of get the "complimentary" part, but truth be told, I don't want of need that "complimentary" aspect if it is costing me 18M for the two players. They have been together 5 years. Two SCF and one cup. Pretty impressive, but I will say that that road has been worn. Better to get assets for crosby to shore up that d and even perhaps move Fleury (while good, I think we can all agree he is not the end all be all he was initially hailed to be).

I still love him when he gives 100%. He has lazy bouts though. This year he didn't have many, so maybe he's maturing out of it. I guess I'm hard on him because I've seen so often what he is truly capable of. And it frustrates me when he's not doing what I know he can do. Yeah I'm hard on him. But not as hard as I am on Staal ;)

that to me is the big reason I don't think a 10 yr deal is worth it. you never know what you are going to get healthwise so why lock yourself into a deal that long? (the Islanders may have a thing or two to say on that subject) especially at that cap hit? I mean, at that price, you may as well ink a shorter deal and see where you are at the end of it, it's not like the price has that much more room to go up! I guess the long term deal would be so you can keep him on the team but even still to me it's too big of a risk at that number.

i have a legitimate question about his head injury going forward and how it will effect his game, part of what i felt made him so dangerous was his ability to stick handle and be hard on the puck in front of the net, if he has a concern about his noggin he will do that less,

fortunately this guy doesn't NEED to rely on that aspect of his game to be successful. If he decided to be a perimeter guy and float he can still do so and get away with it 'cause dude has sniping abilities. I don't think his compete level would allow him to just switch it off but if he needed to he could.

10yr deal though, forget about it.

that to me is the big reason I don't think a 10 yr deal is worth it. you never know what you are going to get healthwise so why lock yourself into a deal that long?

Health issue aside, do you really think that a 32-36 y/o will be worth a 26-31 y/o crosby at 9m per? He is not a big guy and despite teh noggin' issues, his style of play is not on the periphery. He is in the corners, in the slot. Unless he changes his game style to an ala Carter, then I don't see his health AND level of excellence prevailing beyond his early thirties. Sign him for 6 and if he is still excelling at that age, resign him.