Crosby seeking $90M deal?

Guest Irishjim

But not as hard as I am on Staal ;)

I don't get the hate for him at all either. He is asked to play third string fiddle on the Penguins (meaning he is playing with far less capable players than Malkin or Crosby) and people bash on him. I think he is one of the better two way centers in the league for value (4m cap hit).

Here is an interesting article /blog. For my money, I don't think that Pittsburgh will be able to afford Staal and as much as Pittsburgh may like to give him an elevated role (20 minutes a night, prime time line mates and PP time), the reality is that it is not going to happen as long as Malkin and Crosby are in the fold. This of course takes us full circle back to Crosby. Staal IS Pitts insurance plan if Crosby goes back down. Yet, while eve deal in insurance policies. Get rid of the high risk for high asset return, sign staal to prime time contract role and be happy with your new solidified d-fense and prospects / picks.

I don't get the hate for him at all either. He is asked to play third string fiddle on the Penguins (meaning he is playing with far less capable players than Malkin or Crosby) and people bash on him. I think he is one of the better two way centers in the league for value (4m cap hit).

Here is an interesting article /blog. For my money, I don't think that Pittsburgh will be able to afford Staal and as much as Pittsburgh may like to give him an elevated role (20 minutes a night, prime time line mates and PP time), the reality is that it is not going to happen as long as Malkin and Crosby are in the fold. This of course takes us full circle back to Crosby. Staal IS Pitts insurance plan if Crosby goes back down. Yet, while eve deal in insurance policies. Get rid of the high risk for high asset return, sign staal to prime time contract role and be happy with your new solidified d-fense and prospects / picks.

Staal is one of the most overrated Penguins I have ever seen. Everyone talks about his two way play, but I watch 99% if the games and let me tell you he's nothing special there. When he puts his effort in yes he's among the best. Problem is its only half the time. In the playoff series against your Flyers, his lack of defensive effort resulted in five goals by your orange in the first three games alone. Hell one goal he pushed to Talbot because he stopped skating and just reached out, tapping the puck away from Fleury directly to Max.

If you watch Staal more you'll see how streaky he is, which I can take, but you'll realize he's Only a number two center on a mediocre team. Unless he moves to wing and gives a more consistent effort he'll stay #3 here. I'd rather see him go and clear salary cap for a good winger for Sid.

I agree with your appraisal of Crosby and his health by the way, but I've watched Staal long enough to say I'd rather bet in Sid's noggin.

Staal is one of the most overrated Penguins I have ever seen. Everyone talks about his two way play, but I watch 99% if the games and let me tell you he's nothing special there. When he puts his effort in yes he's among the best. Problem is its only half the time. In the playoff series against your Flyers, his lack of defensive effort resulted in five goals by your orange in the first three games alone. Hell one goal he pushed to Talbot because he stopped skating and just reached out, tapping the puck away from Fleury directly to Max.

If you watch Staal more you'll see how streaky he is, which I can take, but you'll realize he's Only a number two center on a mediocre team. Unless he moves to wing and gives a more consistent effort he'll stay #3 here. I'd rather see him go and clear salary cap for a good winger for Sid.

I agree with your appraisal of Crosby and his health by the way, but I've watched Staal long enough to say I'd rather bet in Sid's noggin.

LOL, well, you obviously have watched him much more fervently than I. If we needed a center, I would trade you a Staal for a JVR. Would you do the deal?

What's JVR get paid? Lol. I think I'd do that swap. Then you could be frustrated with soft play from a supposed two way center and I could get frustrated with the soft play of a supposed power winger ;). I think I'd do it though really to see if it woke him up and put him on Sid's wing to try him out.

• Like 1

Toronto is a bad enough team that a guy like Staal could be #1 center, and if placed with Kessel and Lupul I could see him doing well. He wouldn't be saddled with being a shut down center so much against opponent's number 1's either, which is where I'm frustrated with him. I think he has offensive talents he's just overrated defensively.