Eskin reporting...

Guest NastyNate

Considering that no trades can be conducted until the conclustion of the SCF, I find the rumor perplexing as it would be against the NHL bylaws for ANY teams to discuss trades, potential trades etc.

er, huh? how did the penguins manage to trade for vokoun last week, then?

as far as i know, trade restrictions are removed the day after a team is eliminated from the playoffs. or, in columbus' case, the day after their 82nd game.

Considering that no trades can be conducted until the conclustion of the SCF, I find the rumor perplexing as it would be against the NHL bylaws for ANY teams to discuss trades, potential trades etc.

I believe trades can be made at any time, save for the Christmas holiday moratorium. The devils could make a valid trade today, it's just that the player they receive couldn't play for them until next fall because he wasn't acquired before the trade deadline.

Edit: Somebody can check me on that second sentence, that was my understanding anyway....

The devils could make a valid trade today, it's just that the player they receive couldn't play for them until next fall because he wasn't acquired before the trade deadline.

Edit: Somebody can check me on that second sentence, that was my understanding anyway....

i've heard the same, that the trade deadline isn't an end to trading in general, but any player joining the roster after the deadline is ineligible for the playoffs. i just can't find anything specific one way or the other. i know you can trade once your season/playoff run is over, though.

er, huh? how did the penguins manage to trade for vokoun last week, then?

as far as i know, trade restrictions are removed the day after a team is eliminated from the playoffs. or, in columbus' case, the day after their 82nd game.

****. You are right. I thought there were no trades allowed until after the playoffs???

I believe trades can be made at any time, save for the Christmas holiday moratorium. The devils could make a valid trade today, it's just that the player they receive couldn't play for them until next fall because he wasn't acquired before the trade deadline.

Noziz already busted me on this. I don't know why I had it stuck in my head that they could not occur until after teh SCF (and the Vokoun trade completely slipped my mind).

I thought there were no trades allowed until after the playoffs???

well, initially, i had thought the same, but until after the playoffs *per team*...but green light once the inidividual team was done. then, while looking for specific verbage for that, i ran across something saying that teams can make trades at any point outside of the holiday freeze, but the trade deadline represented the cut off for playoff eligibility. i.e., like sarsippius said, the devils could swing a trade today, but the player(s) coming back would not be able to play in the playoffs.

now, i can't find anything that spells any of that out, so take it as you will. the pengiuns did trade for vokoun, though, so at least that much is allowed.

now, i can't find anything that spells any of that out, so take it as you will. the pengiuns did trade for vokoun, though, so at least that much is allowed.

Good research. I am to lazy to look, but I am willing to bet that the post trade deadline (playoff eligible trades) you mentioned and trades that occur DURING the playoffs are slim to none.